U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2009, 12:03 PM

8,633 posts, read 16,258,428 times

Advertisements

Or as I was gonna say, We're all just human after all, whether we are Christian or not and we are going to slip up or fail from time to time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 12:04 PM

16,416 posts, read 22,686,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
We're brainwashed starting from kids saying the Texas Pledge right after they say the Pledge of Allegiance at school every morning. Then the kids take Texas History in 7th grade. (Or do all states require a year of history of their states for their 7th graders?)
One would HOPE that every state requires the history of their state to be taught. Why on earth wouldn't they? And if their state has a pledge of allegiance, why wouldn't it be taught in schools?

Old 02-07-2009, 02:06 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,445,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Can you elaborate a bit on your use of "brainwashed"? Reason I ask is that I am not sure if you are using the term in a negative or simply light-hearted way...?
Light-hearted, not negative at all. I am proud to be from Texas.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:11 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,445,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
One would HOPE that every state requires the history of their state to be taught. Why on earth wouldn't they? And if their state has a pledge of allegiance, why wouldn't it be taught in schools?
I did not give much thought to the Texas pledge until my high school teacher friend told me that new students from out of state are actually horrified when they find out kids make a pledge to the Texas flag every day in school. Apparently other states don't have a state pledge. They are not required to recite it, just stand there, but they are weirded out and not ready to make a pledge to their new home.

I personally don't have a problem with it, I am just throwing out ideas of why Texans are so loyal to their state. Or maybe everyone is loyal to their home state and we just talk about it more.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Status: "Semi-retired. On and off line interchangeably" (set 5 days ago)

9,821 posts, read 11,181,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Light-hearted, not negative at all. I am proud to be from Texas.
That's what I thought!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:44 AM

7 posts, read 14,634 times
My husband was born/raised in Buffalo, NY and I was born/raised in Kerrville, Tx. We met while serving in the Navy in Ca. After we were married he told his mom, that he always wanted to marry someone from a foreign country, to which she replied "but you married someone from Texas"....his answer "Texas is a foreign country". He loves Texas, the people, the attitude, the hill country and he became an Honorary Texan on top of it. When he is asked where did you grow up, he answers I was born in Buffalo, but grew up in Texas. We are hoping to move back in a few years, we live in Florida for now, and yes the people in Texas are much friendlier and supportive.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 AM

14,619 posts, read 27,592,734 times
regarding divorce rate in Bible Belt--you should consider the factors that I feel contibute to divorce separate from religion--and there is nothing in that statistic to say that all the people getting divorces ARE religion or belong to a church...but these factors I think could also be said to be part/parcel of the Bible Belt AND factors in divorce---
culture which encourages marrying at early age. low-income per-capita levels, low education levels, high level of "macho" attitude among the males of the state which precludes being a nurturer or admitting to failure on any level, lack of state/society support for marginalized populace which would include little access to counseling for family problems, poor health services which means higher medical bills for familes to face, high # of bankruptcies, percentage of military which often in itself has high divorce levels---I am sure there are others but those come easiest to mind.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 701 times
I'm a born and raised Texan who recently moved to Washington state and I absolutely love Texas. You cannot necessarily learn to love it; its just something your born into, which is why lots of people either are fascinated with it or disgusted with it but nobody other than natives really understands it. I can understand why lots of people are confused by the things that happen there. Its not good or bad. There are issues and ignorance and waste in Texas and that absolutely drove me nuts when I lived there. But having come to WA I feel like I'm missing out on something. In Texas, I always felt like somebody had my back and whenever I was going through a rough patch I received an overwhelming amount of support, wanted or otherwise. Also, when you talk to a Texan, your talking strait to the person. while there is courtesy, theres no BS and they wont hesitate to tell you what they think. They get strait to the point with blunt honesty. I feel as though I'm just scaring people in Washington when i talk to them and I never actually get what I want out of a conversation because of all the beating around the bush. This may only be me; but when I'm riding in the car in the hazy Texas heat and the music is playing as I stare out into a land so open, there is nothing in between the land and the sky; your part of both, I feel a sense of belonging that I haven't seen in many other places. The beauty of the flat, endless land and the complete lack of foliage that I find utterly appealing and turns my stomach over with homesickness My family is all here and I'm extremely proud to be a Texan. Y'all think what you want about it, and it may just be my "nobody picks on it but me" attitude, but when going there you should try hard to see the appeal that I see and that is so unbelievably familiar to me else your missing out. oh and p.s visit my hometown fortworth if you wanna have fun.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:21 AM

10,593 posts, read 22,468,171 times
I was not born in Texas but both of my parents were. I grew up part of my life near Boston and part in Texas. I have lived in Florida the last 10 years and I am moving back to Texas.

Last time I was in Texas, I noticed I felt more at ease there, even after being here in Florida for 10 years.

Since being here in Florida I have been around a lot of people from the North East, I am sure I have picked up some habits I will have to shed once I get back to Texas...lol

I miss a lot of things, maybe not the most important but the food is one of them.

Of course the friendliness of the people is amazing. When I was in New England, they often had a hard time dealing with my outgoing nature.

I had no idea there was a Texas State Pledge. My daughter will have to learn it but she will be glad to. We will have to look it up before we get there. She was born in Texas but we moved when she was 4 years old.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:20 AM

97 posts, read 113,132 times
The people. The real born-in-Texas people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas