Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

bek loyalty fidelity and obligation are a southern thing. that is why they fight our wars for us. its a hard thing to explain out here, they dont get it. btw divorce in LA area runs bout 75%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 PM

16 posts, read 75,018 times
I am Texan born & bred. I have left my state to visit friends and as soon as I leave, a sense of discomfort comes over me, as soon as I see that Welcome to Texas sign, I become peaceful again (even while navigating Houston). Texas has it's problems I'm sure, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Texas is a whole nuther country & I am proud to be a native.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
if you have to ask that question, you would not understand the answer...

Old 02-07-2009, 08:23 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
bek loyalty fidelity and obligation are a southern thing. that is why they fight our wars for us. its a hard thing to explain out here, they dont get it. btw divorce in LA area runs bout 75%.
I found this on today's Metroplex Daily site. Could it be true? I hope not.

[SIZE=2]Dallas / Forth Worth is located in the "Bible Belt." To the contrary, this region leads the nation in divorces - the divorce rate here is fifty percent higher than the national average. [/SIZE]

Old 02-07-2009, 09:28 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
if you have to ask that question, you would not understand the answer...
Good answer, L2R!

Quote:
Canine Castles wrote: I found this on today's Metroplex Daily site. Could it be true? I hope not.

Dallas / Forth Worth is located in the "Bible Belt." To the contrary, this region leads the nation in divorces - the divorce rate here is fifty percent higher than the national average.
I know this is a bit off topic, but I have seen the same data CC. That is, the states of the "Bible Belt" lead the nation in the number of divorces. To "complicate" it further, according to the latest Gallup Poll, here is a ranking of the states where religion was said to be a "very important" part of the respondents life:

State of the States: Importance of Religion

Anyway, as to why these same states also have a higher than average divorce rate is a question that is interesting and ponderous in its way...

Of course, there are always going to be some people who will leap on the seeming paradox and gleefully attribute it to "religious hypocricy" but such a summation is quite lame and self-serving, I think...

Old 02-07-2009, 09:54 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Good answer, L2R!

I know this is a bit off topic, but I have seen the same data CC. That is, the states of the "Bible Belt" lead the nation in the number of divorces. To "complicate" it further, according to the latest Gallup Poll, here is a ranking of the states where religion was said to be a "very important" part of the respondents life:

State of the States: Importance of Religion

Anyway, as to why these same states also have a higher than average divorce rate is a question that is interesting and ponderous in its way...

Of course, there are always going to be some people who will leap on the seeming paradox and gleefully attribute it to "religious hypocricy" but such a summation is quite lame and self-serving, I think...
Well, I'm one of those divorced Christians and really, I haven't a clue as to why the southern states have higher divorce rates. Of course, I'm not southern, so I contributed to the stats in Texas. Here's a thought albeit it may be lame....Maybe some of the "religious" really aren't as religious as they claim to be. Maybe the Bible Belt really isn't so much so if truth were to be known.

Back to loyalty and Texas as I must stay on topic or be reprimanded. I will speak the truth about the things I don't like about Texas, but then again staying loyal, per se, to what's said that might not be true about the state. I hope that makes sense.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:02 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
We're brainwashed starting from kids saying the Texas Pledge right after they say the Pledge of Allegiance at school every morning. Then the kids take Texas History in 7th grade. (Or do all states require a year of history of their states for their 7th graders?) There are a lot of references to Texas in the media and in TV shows and movies. It's a big state. You can't ignore it. You can drive in a straight line for 12 hours in Texas and still be in Texas.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:18 AM

556 posts, read 1,563,501 times
I abdicated for eight years, to the Last Frontier. Returning to Texas was initially very Texas......and after a time, ah.....the simple joys just flood over one. Is it the foot-high wildflowers in springtime? The simple courtesy in small towns? The rolling hills and endless vistas? The sheer variety of terrain? The salsa in so many manifestations? The spirit of never give up?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
We're brainwashed starting from kids saying the Texas Pledge right after they say the Pledge of Allegiance at school every morning. Then the kids take Texas History in 7th grade. (Or do all states require a year of history of their states for their 7th graders?) There are a lot of references to Texas in the media and in TV shows and movies. It's a big state. You can't ignore it. You can drive in a straight line for 12 hours in Texas and still be in Texas.
Can you elaborate a bit on your use of "brainwashed"? Reason I ask is that I am not sure if you are using the term in a negative or simply light-hearted way...?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Here's a thought albeit it may be lame....Maybe some of the "religious" really aren't as religious as they claim to be. Maybe the Bible Belt really isn't so much so if truth were to be known.
*considers* CC? I always enjoy reading your comments/observations on Texas as you can give them from a perspective that while not from the state, still embrace it as your new home. It gives a good and different take on the matter at hand (whatever it might be).

As to this one? No, what you say is not lame at all...but as a native Texan/Southerner I don't think it answers it (if indeed there IS an answer). Perhaps one has to be "of the manor born" so to speak.

That is, there is that "cracker" Celtic culture of good ol' boys in Texas/South that is blended with a very sincere belief in traditional values. Go into any beer joint in Texas (and in my younger days when I hung out in such I saw it, lived it, and yeah, probably have a lot of it in me) and you will find some working class married fellow getting drunk and wanting to fool around with a woman of the same mind. YET? At the same time, would fight you tooth and nail -- then and there on the spot -- if you called into question his basic belief in God, Country, and the standards his momma raised him to. Including the institution of marriage!

Again, I really don't know how to explain it. It is not hypocricy. This fellow will freely admit he falls short of those standards...but never stops embracing them. And he is the type who has/will fight and win our country's wars. Be the first to help you if your car breaks down on the side of the road, and give you his last dollar. Open the door for a woman, and say "sir" and "ma'am" as natural as you please.

Ok...anyway...like you say, CC...we better get back on topic! LOL

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-07-2009 at 11:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas