Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:59 PM

779 posts, read 2,246,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senoritacharlene View Post
Couldn't have put it better myself, and Im from England!
Thanks senoritacharlene. Can I just say that David Beckham is the most amazing soccer player ever? The dude has crazy skills and now he plays for the Los Angeles Galaxy. Sorry to get off topic but thank you for quoting me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 07:21 PM

869 posts, read 2,953,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post
Thanks senoritacharlene. Can I just say that David Beckham is the most amazing soccer player ever? The dude has crazy skills and now he plays for the Los Angeles Galaxy. Sorry to get off topic but thank you for quoting me.
George Best and Eric Cantona would like to have a word with you. Well, Best can't have a word with you, but they were both far superior to Becks.

He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right.
-- George Best (his assessment on David Beckham)

Old 09-29-2008, 07:31 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Shoot, IT'S TEXAS! No need to say more.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:15 PM

179 posts, read 199,453 times
Uh...there's not many (American) cities that can compete with Austin, Houston, or Dallas IMO. The socially accepting environments those places have to offer, plus beautiful women, great economy, and tons to do.

Very, very few states, other than maybe California, have the same sort of appeal.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:44 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
I think about the Texas and I start to sing the Walker Texas Ranger theme, " When your in Texas look behind you" .

Old 09-30-2008, 12:11 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
Texas is the unwavering epitome of the American identity that seems to be under attack in this day and age. Patriots died defending this country from despots like Santa Ana. William Barret Travis, Jim Bowie, Davie Crockett, and Juan Seguin are not just Texas heroes. They are American heroes. They drew a line in the sand at the Alamo and took a stand, knowing full well that they would not be reinforced. Their valor, commitment to liberty, and defiance to authority are what we as citizens should strive to be like.

There must be something magical about Texas if these former citizens of the United States were willing to put their lives on the line for her defense. Perhaps it was the beauty of her sunsets riding into the westward sky at dusk. Maybe it was the vastness of her bountiful land. Maybe it was the pristine waters of the hill country. At any rate, it could have been a million different things, but anyone who has ever lived here can sense the aura that shrouds this land we call home.

Texas provided people with a chance to start life over. GTT signs were common on abandoned homes in the southeastern United States. Many people looking to escape debt and avoid jail found a safe haven in Texas. These people look at Texas as a God send and they are forever grateful for what this country has provided them.

With a blending of so many cultural influences (German, Anglo American, Mexican, Asian, African American), there is a place to call home for just about anyone. If you can't find what you're looking for here, it aint worth having. Our commitment to our communities, our neighbors, our state, and our families is what will keep this nation together long after the fall of the United States. We must preserve our roots and heritage for the coming generations though, or we will become subjects of tyranny as history bears witness to.

Thank you and God bless,

Justin

Old 09-30-2008, 01:05 PM

^^wow, what an amazing post, TexianPatriot. Very well said.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:15 PM

189 posts, read 628,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I think it's all the sun, too. You can't have too many glum people when the sun is shining 300 days a year! Here's an interesting article on the "geography of personality" in different states. The United States of Mind - WSJ.com
I've lived in 3 other states other than Texas, and have also found Texans to be happier people. I really do think the sun does play a part in that. I lived the past 5 years in KY and found myself really depressed during the winter. It wasn't because of the cold, I like cold weather, it had to do with not seeing the sun for over a month... and then it would show up for a day and be gone for another month.

Texas pride is hard to explain. I think family and the friendly people is the main reason people love Texas. Texas is such a huge state and thats something to be proud of. We have a great education system, housing market, various climates and scenery, awesome food (really missed Mexican food while up in KY)... you see the Texas flag being flown everywhere. I never saw the KY flag while I was there. I think the uniqueness of Texas is what makes us proud and our history. I just know that when I drove across the state line when I moved back here 4 months ago, I got tears in my eyes because I was so happy to be back home.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:24 PM

I'll tell you what, Oklahoma is OK, but I cannot wait to leave Oklahoma for Texas so I can experience and joy and love of being a Texas resident. I feel like I already am, really. Just in Oklahoma for school and work and enjoying it.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:11 PM

11 posts, read 65,517 times
I ask myself all the time.. what are Texans so proud of? Personally I don't see anything special about Texas.. There are beautiful parts and tourist attractions but you're going to find those in every state. I just think the attitude stinks here and roads and most things were not thought out very well. I seem to mutter "I hate texas" all the time. I can understand that if you were born and raised here this is your home and you are proud of it but I feel there are MANY better places to live in this country. Unfortunately I have a few more years here until the military moves us again. Until then, I will keep trying to find out why this place is so appealing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas