Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:55 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,956,096 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on relocating and until recently hadnt considered Texas. My reason to relocate is for something new, a warmer climate, and to be close to the beach. If i consider Texas, what are good options for me? I'm looking to rent, at least at first, and obviously would need to get a job.

Thanks,

G Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 02:03 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,878,685 times
Well, there is a thread on here that talks about the many openings in the Corpus Christi region.. its not a bad city despite what many have said. If you dont mind Hispanic people, Brownsville area would be really nice.. with SOUTH PADRE right there, you may find a job on the island in one of the many hotels. Galveston is a bit wrecked as you know.. but its still some place to consider.. lots of jobs in the Houston area, and you dont have to live on the island to be near a beach or the water there.

As much as I love Texas, one place you may want to consider is the Mississippi Gulf Coast area, lots of jobs, good pay, and if you live above I-10 somewhat affordable rents. as homes are built prices there drop.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:55 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,196,267 times
gman, the gulf is not that attractive beachwise. The water is usually just brown nasty and the surf is more like a washer on slow cycle. You might look at the east side of Florida.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 AM

2,611 posts, read 3,578,518 times
Port Isabel, TX

Old 10-01-2008, 06:13 AM

11,816 posts, read 26,650,028 times
If you need a job, move to Corpus Christi. It has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the state and there are lots of companies hiring! The beach there isn't ugly, but it's also not South Florida...

Old 10-01-2008, 05:30 PM

52,568 posts, read 47,690,485 times
Default Check Out Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
I'm planning on relocating and until recently hadnt considered Texas. My reason to relocate is for something new, a warmer climate, and to be close to the beach. If i consider Texas, what are good options for me? I'm looking to rent, at least at first, and obviously would need to get a job.

Thanks,

G Man
The better job options for you are going to be in or near the Houston area. A hurricane the magnitude of Ike only happens every thirty years or so, so as soon as Houston gets cleaned up, go check it out. The job market is still strong in Southeast Texas. Don't let the events that happened in Galveston shy you away. It, too, depends on what kind of job you're really looking for in your search. The Texas economy is still really good right now.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:49 PM

5,402 posts, read 13,220,490 times
I wouldn't live on any beach that is prone to hurricanes. How about the west coast?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:09 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,671,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I wouldn't live on any beach that is prone to hurricanes. How about the west coast?
Right............then you just have massive forest fires, mudslides and earthquakes. Add in the COSTS that are MUCH higher to buy a "beachfront" property......... Texas looks GREAT! And jobs to boot.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:55 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,322,498 times
I would have to say, as much as I have the biggest love affair with the State of Texas, and will never make the mistake of leaving, if i insisted on living on the coast, i would not even entertain living anywhere on the Texas gulf coast. i TOTALLY agree with Muhnay about Mississippi Gulf Coast. he is RIGHT ON TARGET.
but if you INSIST on choosing Texas coastal areas, just make sure you really take time to visit and are absolutely certain you wont have a problem with assimilating with the hispanic culture and if you are "anglo", being a minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Well, there is a thread on here that talks about the many openings in the Corpus Christi region.. its not a bad city despite what many have said. If you dont mind Hispanic people, Brownsville area would be really nice.. with SOUTH PADRE right there, you may find a job on the island in one of the many hotels. Galveston is a bit wrecked as you know.. but its still some place to consider.. lots of jobs in the Houston area, and you dont have to live on the island to be near a beach or the water there.

As much as I love Texas, one place you may want to consider is the Mississippi Gulf Coast area, lots of jobs, good pay, and if you live above I-10 somewhat affordable rents. as homes are built prices there drop.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:02 AM

5,402 posts, read 13,220,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Right............then you just have massive forest fires, mudslides and earthquakes. Add in the COSTS that are MUCH higher to buy a "beachfront" property......... Texas looks GREAT! And jobs to boot.
There aren't forests on the beaches in CA, OR, or WA, hence few if any fires. People can avoid mudslides if they don't build their homes on the side of a mountain. That is just plain dumb. Earthquakes are not that numerous but yes, they can occur and they can be killers as can tornadoes and hurricanes. No place on earth is safe from natural disasters and unless a forest fire is started by lightning, I wouldn't consider it natural. Forests are lovely and it's a shame so many of the fires begin at the hands of people. Tragic to the max.

CA is not the only state with beaches on the west coast. OR and WA costs are not as high. I have no doubt they're higher than the gulf coast, but one gets what one pays for. There is no comparison to the gulf and the Pacific Ocean. You can even live in AK or HI and be on the Pacific. Never mind AK; it would be too cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas