U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-04-2008, 08:40 AM

75 posts, read 183,546 times

Advertisements

Could someone familiar with this area tell me how far it is from Bonham to - Sherman / Denison; Greenville; McKinney; Paris? (actual driving time).
We area exploring a potential job at the VA in Bonham but have to research the area from long distance. I don't want to be TOO far away from a city a little more sizable than Bonham. Thanks!
PS anything you can tell me about this area would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 09:16 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,378,886 times
You can get to Sherman/Denison in about 20-25 minutes....new Hwy 82, very little traffic, open highway....and all the good shopping/dining is on hwy 82 between Sherman and Denison. Paris takes longer (40-45 min.) to the edge of town but then you have to go around the loop to the residential areas... but there's not much in Paris.....no shopping, not much dining other than fast food. Even tho Bonham is much smaller population-wise than Paris, it has about as much to offer. McKinney takes about 45 minutes to the edge of town but it can take another 30 to get across McKinney to most of the nicer residential areas, and the traffic at commute time is fairly heavy on the highway and worse within McKinney....it's also a much more expensive place to live. However, you can find anything you might ever want to find in McKinney if that's important to you on a daily basis. Most people seem to think the opposite is true......there are many people who live in Fannin County (Bonham area altho not in the town proper for some good reasons I'll share with you if you're interested) and commute to McKinney/Plano/Allen/Dallas every day.) Don't know if schools are an issue....I can share my opinion on that subject, too, if you're interested.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:01 AM

Thank you GayleTX... yes I would be interested in your perspective on Fannin County vs Bonham, and schools (although my kids are not in school yet and I'm thinking about homeschooling, you never know). Are there particular areas in Fannin County that are desirable and a reasonable commute to both Bonham for work and other areas for shopping and recreation...?

Old 10-04-2008, 11:49 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,378,886 times
There are eight independent school districts (ISD's....don't know if you are in TX now and are familiar with our terminologies) in Fannin County....it's a fairly large county - goes from Honey Grove on the East to Savoy on the West, from Trenton/Leonard on the South to the Oklahoma border on the North.
Even at that, you can get from anywhere in the county to Bonham in no more than 30 minutes and no traffic at all (very good paved roads all over the county). Most of the ISD's are in or near a little town. There are some very good schools in the county.....all (with the exception of Fannindel) have much better ratings than Bonham ISD (you can verify this thru the TEA website, 'accountability rating' forum) and much better reputations and better financial situations and facilities.

Most of the new homes and population growth in the past 15 years or so has been in the county rather than within the town of Bonham itself (other than some rental type properties - mostly to accomodate prison employees).....both in the rural areas and in the small towns. Savoy ISD and Bells ISD, (Bells is just 2-3 miles over the Fannin Co line), are very good districts and is about halfway between Bonham and Sherman....therefore both work in Bonham and shopping/medical facilities, etc in Sherman/Denison would be convenient for you - about 15 min. each way. Another good option would be Trenton - excellent schools, quite a few new homes, lots of young couples, only about 20 min. out of Bonham and only about 20 min. to McKinney, which is a small city, mostly new everything (fastest growing city in Texas - now about 120,000). Even if you are not interested in the schools for your own family, the school reputation has a big impact on maintaining the value of your home. Bells and Trenton and Savoy are all very small, very safe, liveable towns but are more than bedroom communities - there are tradition and heart to them and they are accepting of newcomers.

One nice area to live is Lake Bonham, just about 10 min. NE of town......lots of nice homes all around it. It's considered part of Bonham and you pay city taxes there.

Every town has good water systems and even the rural areas have very good community water systems - just like living in town. The only difference might be that in a rural area (outside the city limits of a town) most of the houses have septic tanks which, if fairly new, are not any problem at all - septic tanks are well regulated by the state now.

The VA itself is a nice campus and there are some nice homes directly across the street (seldom see one for sale there - mostly older people) from it altho the neighborhoods to the other sides are not 'desirable' areas of town. Between the VA and downtown there are several homes on 9th St for sale right now, mostly older homes but nice.

Hope that's the kind of information you are needing.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:11 PM

Very helpful! Thank you!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:36 PM

59 posts, read 125,807 times
My brother lives in Bonham and he drives to Sherman daily to work at the sunny D plant..its not too far with highway 82. Gayle has pretty much filled ya in....its a great place. I prefer McKinney or Sherman area where its closer to things. I hope you enjoy the move!

Old 03-29-2010, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,597 times
Just wondering if you took the VA job, and if so how it's working out. It is a current consideration for us with the recent opening at the VA.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,445 times
Hpe u like being a hermet

Old 08-08-2010, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,445 times
That VA job has been open for a while iam wondering if their ever gunna fill it .what 2 moths now. They even trying to get people to move . The job or the town ain't worth it. unless your an alchoholic or a speed freak then y'all fit right in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas