Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:51 AM

314 posts, read 2,539,640 times

Advertisements

I was once an evangelical Atheist for many years. Now that I'm a Christian, I also have the knowlege of what turns Atheist off about God. Usually it's more God's people than God. So I understand Mr. Drysdales delema. We have been in San Antonio for about 10 months now, and coming from Seattle, there is a much larger population of God's people here (duh!!). It is much more part of the culture here, but there are many more closet Christians than not, so being a closet Atheist, he should have no problem fitting in.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:38 AM

43 posts, read 142,183 times
I moved to a small town in East Texas five years ago. I am a Ch'an Buddhist (which also makes me an atheist for those who aren't acquainted with Buddhism).

I never expected my rural Southern Baptist neighbors to either understand nor accept my religous views. I have had that expectation fulfilled.

Then again, I have no particular reason to mention my own beliefs nor to do anything but politely decline invitations to revivals, snake handling festivals or book burnings when they come my way. This is quite okay with me since I did not plan on much socializing with the locals.

If you desire to have an active social life you will find it, and many kindred spirits, in Dallas, Austin or any of the other big cities of Texas. They are, IMHO, as sophisticated as any other major American city. However, if you choose a rural area then plan on having a very small circle of friends.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:23 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Better stay in the closet, or move to Austin, the liberal strong hold of Texas. You most likely will be asked more than several times about going to church, and need to have an answer ready, or you will get invited to their church. I just say, I am "such and such" and happy with my faith. Many parts of Texas heavily hispanic, so is a Catholic population, and is a lifestyle not just a religion for them. And yes, in the workplace are pics of Jesus and crosses and talk of prayer, and expressions such as "God bless you" or "I am praying for him/her", etc. If you can keep quiet about your non religious views, is a nice environment, friendly, helpful, comforting, safe, etc. Otherwise, might find yourself on the outside. This moreso in the smaller cities and small towns, not the metroplexes so much.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:25 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,685 times
I have lived in the San Angelo/Abilene/Brownwood area all my life,and don't remember ever being asked if I went to church.Any conversations about church have taken place after it was known that I did.As someone who became a Christian as an adult,I have also never asked a person if they went to church,unless the conversation was about personal problems and it was obvious they were looking for answers.

There are way more non churchgoers in almost any decent sized town than churchgoers,probably on the ratio of about 3 to 1,or more.A large Baptist church in my town did a survey a number of years ago,done scientifically by a national survey org brought in,and it showed that less than 20% of the county was in church on any given Sunday.

A person in any town who politely declines invitations will not have any problems.A lot of people in the small towns don't go to church.An atheist who openly admits it in many small towns might be ostracized if he makes it a point to make sure everybody knows his beliefs.A loud and forceful atheist who is bent on running down Christians and proving them wrong and stupid for believing will have trouble anywhere except a major city,and even then will encounter plenty of opposition if he is very adamant about forcing his beliefs on the populace.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I am an Atheist, and I live in Fort Worth. I don't consider myself an "evangelical" Atheist (!?), but I don't have any problems. I just stay out of religious arguments...live and let live. Most people around here profess to be pretty religious, but not many try to force it. I do have some fun with Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons who come around occasionally.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:14 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
You know what is cracking me up about this whole thing and I've seen it in many other threads of the same nature. All of this talk about avoiding small towns in Texas as they will be VERY religious. HA!!!!!!! Sorry folks, drive thru some of these small towns on a Sunday morning and you will see more people at the local beer/wine and liquor stores than you will at the small local church. I've been in enough of them to know. For example, the small lil church (baptist) that my mil goes to is so small that if they had 30 people on one day they would not have enough pews to sit them. But drive past the 10+ beer stores, liquor stores, VFW hall, gambling hall, etc and the parking lots are packed. Even in the little neighborhood she lives in there are only two of them that go to church. Shoot, when my family went to visit my grandfathers little country church in a podunk small East Texas town w/ the 6 of us "visitors" we practically doubled their attendance that Sunday. No lie. So please stop all of this nonsense that all small Texas towns are full of religious people, it ain't so.

Same goes w/ even here in the metroplex. Growing up I hardly ever knew anyone else that went to church. If you even brought it up to your friends at school you would be made fun of. At least now my kids can openly say they go to church and not face judgement like what used to go on. Still, I'd say the majority of my neighbors do NOT attend church.

This is coming from someone w/ experience and having lived in Texas for all of my 40+ years. Being that you don't believe in God is not going to make you some freak of nature down here. Just don't go around telling people that they are wrong, ignorant, stupid or whatever if they do believe in God and/or attend church. Oh yeah, don't get offended if when you ask them to do something on Sunday and they can't. Just respect them and they will respect you.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:44 PM

314 posts, read 2,539,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
"evangelical" Atheist (!?),

e·van·gel·i·cal –adjective
Marked by ardent or zealous enthusiasm for a cause.

a·the·ist –noun
One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:07 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
You are right, momof2, Church of Walmart is ALWAYS full!

Old 03-01-2007, 04:41 PM

8 posts, read 27,446 times
I would definately stay out of small towns...I recently moved to a small town outside of Dallas and that is the first thing people ask me. If you say no, they make you their new project. I have not run into that problem with the larger cities I have lived in...Austin, Dallas.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:09 PM

42 posts, read 240,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Drysdale View Post
Looking at Texas for retirement. I am a closet atheist. Not interested in
joining a church, or praising Jesus if I find a dollar bill on the sidewalk.

Do most Texan's make it a point to ask you were you go to church?
Can a non-believer live a happy life in Texas? Do many activities
relvolve around church membership?

Mr. Drysdale
I find it funny that all Texans are usually lumped together into this one stereotypical group (in general). Texas is so large that each region has its own little subculture.

Everyone in Texas is not a bible thumping, magazine shoving evangelical (though I have no problem with these types of people; I just wish they would respect people's privacy or personal space a tad bit more).

I'd say go to an area that has at least one "higher learning" facility...you are more likely to meet (IMHO) more open-minded or tolerant people.

For the record...I am not an athiest (I hardly attend church; though it really shouldn't matter), but I have a really good agnostic friend (who is always trying to convert me LOL) so I think I can kinda understand where you're coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas