U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Status: "Summer vacation;out of town a lot and not on line much!" (set 1 day ago)

9,709 posts, read 10,374,668 times
Default Texas -- Oklahoma game!

I slipped away after this latest touchdown to write this post. If I am wrong, then I will have to eat crow for a while. BUT...I am going to call it, with only around 4 minutes in the game, Texas is going to win it.

I didn't think so at first, but my gawd, I think they are now!

Y'all heard it here first! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Status: "Summer vacation;out of town a lot and not on line much!" (set 1 day ago)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Now then, go party a bit, boys. Rest up...and kick the **** out of Missouri next week!

The Eyes of Texas are upon you....

Old 10-11-2008, 01:41 PM

779 posts, read 1,366,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Lol, it was a really good game 45-35 Texas!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post
Lol, it was a really good game 45-35 Texas!
Yeah, it really was a good one, ATD. I confess, practically speaking, I really didn't expect Texas to play as well as they did. I just hope they can do the same next week against Missouri....

I don't expect Texas to be voted Number 1 in the next poll that comes out, but they will likely be 3 (with some first place votes) at the least. If they can beat Missouri, then that assures a top spot, I would think.

What worries me though is the "beating" they had to have taken in the Oklahoma game. THEN...to have to recover and play yet ANOTHER top-ranked team. It is not like they are going to have a week off by playing Rice or something...

Old 10-11-2008, 03:34 PM

657 posts, read 1,565,735 times
Tech is going to be tough to beat.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
Tech is going to be tough to beat.
That too. If nothing else, Texas oughta get the honor of Number One just by virtue of the fact they are playing about the TOUGHEST schedule of any team in the country!

They just knocked off Oklahoma. Now have to face Missouri...and THEN Texas Tech.

I confess to that a lot of my analogies involve Texas/Southern history, but in this case it truly fits. The reason Grant finally prevailed against Lee was NOT that the former was a better general or his troops better fighters. In fact, Grant even admitted such. For that reason, he used a hammering blow strategy. Theretofore, all the yankee generals, after getting their butts tore up, withdrew to lick their wounds...which in turn gave the South -- with our lesser manpower -- time to heal our own...and be prepared the next time.

Grant though recognized this and attacked and attacked again. He lost far more men than did Lee...but he had more men to spare. This was what Lee later said he feared most. A Union general who recognized and acted upon the greatest weakness of the Confederacy. That is, that THEY could replace their men...the South couldn't. So the yankees just kept hammering away, never letting up...

Ok..y'all...I really AM trying NOT to make this a speech in "Civil War" history! LOL Point is, the season Texas faces is somewhat akin. Just as Lee's army easily beat the first army the north threw at them, it became harder and harder as time went on. I will always believe that the North never whipped the South. Rather, our great grandfathers just wore ourselves out whipping them!

Same with the Texas schedule. They just came off a tremendous beating, physically, with Oklahoma. Can they recover enough to beat Missouri? And THEN...Tech?

Old 10-11-2008, 09:45 PM

35,297 posts, read 17,759,413 times
Thumbs up Hook 'Em!

Can't wait to see the Longhorns' ranking after knocking off number one!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:47 PM

550 posts, read 925,147 times
Thumbs up Does this look like a yellow Aggie thumb???

Way to go Texas!!! I am always happy when Texas at Austin beats Texas at Norman!!! But how bout them Raiders!!!! Will have my Black and Red on as usual on Saturdays!!!

GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2008, 01:59 AM

6,754 posts, read 9,932,053 times
Other than OU, Texas pretty much owns the Big 12. Especially the north. They know what it takes to beat Missouri -- and at home, it should be doable. Mizzou has half the defense that OU has, so it will simply be another game plan of slow drives & keep their offense off the field. Same game plan we use for Texas Tech EVERY YEAR.

So next week will be a win. Then comes OSU and Texas Tech. OSU has a major revenge factor going, as we've made some embarassing comebacks from huge leads by them. In the end, though, we know how to play them (as we do that every year)... and we have the better talent. So, another win. Texas Tech, same thing... we'll be playing in Lubbock, which will be tough, but in the end it's simply another Tech game. We've got the game plan to beat them, and we will do so again.

I'm actually more worried about the nothing-to-lose aggies we'll be playing the day after thanksgiving! Especially given the last couple of years.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:07 AM

285 posts, read 427,542 times
Super game and the Florida Gators taking care of LSU was an added bonus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I'm actually more worried about the nothing-to-lose aggies we'll be playing the day after thanksgiving! Especially given the last couple of years.
FYI- The game is on Thanksgiving this year.

Lori
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas