Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,910 times

Advertisements

My rebelious daughter tells me she is going to a show in Austin (where else) about the actual Charles Manson from the Sharon tate killing spree. Now i get that it's freedom of speech and all that - but what do you think about it? Any suggestions to how i can convince her not to go?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:30 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,272,598 times
Well, this is not good. I've never heard of such a thing. Is she a minor? You are the parent; do not allow her to go and if she chooses to do so, she needs to be on her own. I would not allow one of my children to do such a thing, but I'm not in your shoes. I never had problems like that with them. God help the poor child. She is mixed up and needs some tough love.

Oh gosh, is this it?

http://www.badlit.com/?p=906

There are very many demented people out there. I lived in CA back then, and it was not a pretty thing. My friend's ex-father-in-law owned the ranch where the Manson family hung out, but he didn't know they were nuts. He just thought they were a bunch of silly hippies.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:44 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsblue View Post
My rebelious daughter tells me she is going to a show in Austin (where else) about the actual Charles Manson from the Sharon tate killing spree. Now i get that it's freedom of speech and all that - but what do you think about it? Any suggestions to how i can convince her not to go?
Operating under the assumption that your post/query is truly "legit", I would first ask in turn how old is the daughter? If she is under-age, then I would answer by saying something so simple as this:

DON'T let her go! And make no apologies about it. To either her or yourself.

This "new-age" notion that parental decisions concerning our kids and their choices need to justified before the bar of "self-esteem" and Dr. Benjamin Spock school of thinking is garbage of the highest order.

Parenting (in the true, traditional sense) is not a job for cowards. My own kids are grown now. There were lots of trials and tribulations when they got to the age they wanted to challenge me and my authority. And I am sure I made many mistakes. Just as my own parents did when me and my siblings did the same. And them with theirs and and etc, etc. in facts of generational regression...

The common denominator of all, though, was that once "the kids" grew up and matured, they recognized and respected the fact that the parents set limits. And were almost always right, when the Big Picture was finally understandable...especially when the same kids had their own kids.

So I say this. If you don't want your daughter (assuming again, she is a minor) to go? Then by gawd tell her she ain't going! Give your reasons, sure...but at the same time DON'T feel like you have to justify your decision.

A parent's job is to be a parent, and all that implies. Not their buddy or best friend! They will respect you for it later!

Good Luck!

Old 10-12-2008, 09:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
What on earth is she talking about? Manson was a California thing, not a Texas thing.

If it's that show, yes, there's nuts everywhere. And people who are brilliant at tweaking others and getting paid to do so. I suspect the latter in this particular case. And, of course, college students who are trying to cut the parental apron strings (because that's part of what college is about) and will find the most outrageous things they can to do so.

Is your daughter attending college in Austin? Then thank your stars that she's at least telling you what she's doing rebelliously. I was 18 in 1968, and I did a LOT of rebellious things that would have turned my mother's hair white if she'd known about them, but I grew up okay. If she's at home and she's planning a road trip and she's a minor, then, as said above, simply don't let her go - but be prepared for the fireworks that are likely to ensue, if she's as rebellious as she said, and try to maintain your calm equilibrium when they happen.

I doubt you'll be able to convince her not to go, not if she's rebellious, or in that rebellious stage, as you say.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What on earth is she talking about? Manson was a California thing, not a Texas thing.
Who said it was a Texas thing? I can't find anyone that posted that false information.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:14 AM

I was just confused by the "Austin (where else)" comment.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:26 AM

And it's a shame all the nonsense from almost 40 years ago is coming to Austin. Yuck!!

Old 10-12-2008, 10:38 AM

Agreed. But I've learned the more negative attention you give such things, the more they like it - that is, after all, what they're feeding on.

Interestingly, I hadn't heard a thing about this play until this forum today. And a little research shows that it's been making the rounds for months.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:20 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsblue View Post
Just a follow-up to your question and my original reply. I based the latter on the premise that your daughter was a minor. I might be wrong on that though...

In that case? That perhaps she is a college student or of age, who lives with you? Then (and I know advise like this is easy to give once one has already been thru it and doesn't have to deal with it again), I would ask in turn just how strongly do you feel about it? Her not going, that is...?

You will probably not convince her not to go...but you can, if such terms can be used...at least engage her in conversation and be extremely "graphic" in telling her what kind of person Manson really was. And the pure evil which transpired as a result of his twisted beliefs. Let her know in no uncertain terms that this guy ranks up there with Stalin and Moa in that regard....

If she still insists on going and is "rebellious" in attitude so far as her reasons are concerned -- which well might be the case -- and she is of legal age?

Then again, it goes back to how strongly you feel about it. Remember, that, if it comes down to brass tacks, a parent can always tell a grown age rebellious child to hit the damn road and see if the rest of the world will take you in and wipe your snotty nose and indulge this challenging and rebellious behavior.

To be honest, I thank the Good Lord almost on a daily basis that, at one time, my own parents did just that! Threw my butt out and it was sink or swim, boy...come back when you can obey the rules of the house. If you cain't? Then we still love you unconditionally, but you will have to do your own thing, elsewhere...

And it was an act of love. Which is often the essence of the hard paths we parents sometime have to take. Mine did...and I will never be able to repay them enough for making me a man.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:32 PM

336 posts, read 697,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I was just confused by the "Austin (where else)" comment.

Austin boasts *Keep Austin Weird* coffee mugs...tshirts etc...maybe
that's what the (where else) comment came from....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas