Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most overhyped or overrated?
Dallas 71 20.11%
Austin 229 64.87%
Houston 53 15.01%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:58 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times

Advertisements

All these cities have there own unique identity feature, Dallas- Cosmo city Houston- The Big Easy money Austin- UT and Hills but they have pros and cons of each. Im glad these cities are different because when you go to these places you feel different, 3 different climates, the women look different, houses, the way people talk, everything is different. But Houston is my favorite except late august thru mid september (canes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 04:05 PM

564 posts, read 2,045,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
There's nothing wrong with Dallas itself. It's the pretentious $30K millionaire types that seem attracted to Dallas like flies to **** that we don't like. Personally, I don't care which city is more or less popular to the rest of the mouth-breathing imbeciles who inhabit this country, but I can't speak for everyone there.
LOL. So true.

Truest statement on this entire thread.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:47 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
kdogg look at wht you wrote, your comparing a metroplex pop. to one city which doesnt make sense. compare cities not metros to cities, and if we do that houston almost doubles dallas, and almost triples fort woth, so yeah thats is laughable. i dont think houston and dallas people hate each, i think houston people such as myslef get a little offended when dallas try to compare itself to houston. when dallas isnt in the same weight class as houston, dallas get your weight up first before challanging a big dog. one other reason people like me, like to put forth worth with dallas is because, yall do it especially when its convienent, like what you just did, trying to compare two cities to one. so before you have to idea of comparing dfw to houston please realize , dfw is a metro and houston is one city.
You've been advised before city population means nothing. The best way to determine the true size of a city is by it's metro area population. Ft Worth has a larger city population than Atlanta, GA, but, no way is Ft Worth alone on Atlanta's level.

I know the prestige of saying Houston is the largest city in Texas may give you a rush, but metro Houston is smaller than Metroplex by 600K + and widening.

If you have a problem with D/FW being a MSA, complain to the Census Bureau. And, about your Dallas is somehow semi-pro to Houston being pro remark; the Metroplex is one of two 6 major league sports franchise metro areas in the entire Southern U.S. along with Atlanta. Houston doesn't offer the NHL or a NASCAR event (TMS has 2 events). Seems like your city may be a bit minor league.

The only point you have right is that Dallas is not on Houston's level. True, per GaWC 2008 world city rankings Dallas outranks Houston.

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2008

Old 03-02-2009, 07:28 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
NYC definitely lives up to its hype and its relatively low levels of corruption (except for Wall Street) do indeed make it a model major city on this planet. No other city in the U.S. can compete. Chicago, LA, Dallas, Houston, and any other major city in the U.S. don't live up to their hype, though.

Houstonians - Dallas respectfully deserves all the attention it gets. It seems like every major company in this country has a warehouse, distribution center, factory and/or corporate headquarters in Dallas. Dallas is the 'halfway point' between the eastern and western United States. Dallas is a major transportation hub and the main artery for distributing a lot of our nation's agriculture. America can't function without Dallas, however we can still function without Houston, though not as comfortably (foreign oil). We have a lot to thank Dallas for quite a bit of stuff, which is probably why the people there are so pretentious.

Houston can't say all of that. Houston's only really well known for oil, Nasa, diversity, hurricanes, excellent food and entertainment, and a strong hiphop scene... but it'd be best if all of those things were kept a secret.
You owe me a new computer. Milk + laughter does not mix.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
You owe me a new computer. Milk + laughter does not mix.
I agree with you Angel, the America can't function without Dallas but Houston doesn't matter bit is very laughable. That's the type of hyperbolization from all sides that irks me, whether they're bolstering for Houston, Dallas or Austin.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:52 AM

334 posts, read 915,260 times
Austin, at this moment, is easily the most over-hyped of the three. It's like Santa Fe was in the 80s, Seattle in the 90s, or Portland recently. It's the flavor of the month for the nation's restless and the Californian diaspora.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:33 AM

848 posts, read 2,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
NYC definitely lives up to its hype and its relatively low levels of corruption (except for Wall Street) do indeed make it a model major city on this planet. No other city in the U.S. can compete. Chicago, LA, Dallas, Houston, and any other major city in the U.S. don't live up to their hype, though.

Houstonians - Dallas respectfully deserves all the attention it gets. It seems like every major company in this country has a warehouse, distribution center, factory and/or corporate headquarters in Dallas. Dallas is the 'halfway point' between the eastern and western United States. Dallas is a major transportation hub and the main artery for distributing a lot of our nation's agriculture. America can't function without Dallas, however we can still function without Houston, though not as comfortably (foreign oil). We have a lot to thank Dallas for quite a bit of stuff, which is probably why the people there are so pretentious.

Houston can't say all of that. Houston's only really well known for oil, Nasa, diversity, hurricanes, excellent food and entertainment, and a strong hiphop scene... but it'd be best if all of those things were kept a secret.
Actually, the weight of Houston's particular economies is more so than Dallas's even if Big D's is more diverse. Houston's a major PORT city, one of the largest 3 in the USA. Dallas cannot match that. Houston is the ULTIMATE medical city. Dallas cannot offer that...what with VIPs from around the world who come here to H-town and the concentrated related activity. Then there's the energy industry...

so to disagree...the USA would have a difficult time functioning without Houston.

Places like Atlanta offer what Dallas does, more or less.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
Well I would have to assume that's b/c there's not much hype to give SA. True SA does have great theme parks , etc. but that's because there's so much excess land that's very cheap. There's not much else to it--although it's improving every year. Austin on the other hand has many activities, shows, etc. going on constantly and imo only of course, I think it's one of the prettiest cities in TX so I think it deserves some of the hype. Dallas and Houston are huge cities with a lot of cultural diversity and amenities so you can't compare them.
You gotta to be kidding SA will kick Austin little butt for activities. It is just too manly to overhyped itself, more like the Clint Eastwood of Texas cities. The final analysis Austin is very overrated and over hyped and SA and Houston are the two most underrated cities in Texas. Dallas/FtWorth is cool

Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
kdogg look at wht you wrote, your comparing a metroplex pop. to one city which doesnt make sense. compare cities not metros to cities, and if we do that houston almost doubles dallas, and almost triples fort woth, so yeah thats is laughable. i dont think houston and dallas people hate each, i think houston people such as myslef get a little offended when dallas try to compare itself to houston. when dallas isnt in the same weight class as houston, dallas get your weight up first before challanging a big dog. one other reason people like me, like to put forth worth with dallas is because, yall do it especially when its convienent, like what you just did, trying to compare two cities to one. so before you have to idea of comparing dfw to houston please realize , dfw is a metro and houston is one city.

No he's comparing a metro to a metro and that's what most people do simply because it's more logical. If you want to compare city to city, well Houston is not there with Chicago,LA, and especially New York. Dallas is closer to Houston than you realize.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 AM

989 posts, read 2,497,762 times
Austin is overhyped, but it still is a great place. I mean, you can always find a festival, fun bar, good restaurant, outdoor activity, or otherwise something unique to do. Like many places in Texas, people say hello and open doors for each other. But in Austin you can find a vibe in neighborhoods like South Congress, downtown, etc, that no other Texas city has. That being said, however, I think other Texas cities like Dallas, Ft Worth, Houston, Lubbock, etc have a lot to offer as well, but just in other areas.

Last edited by ATXIronHorse; 03-03-2009 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas