Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most overhyped or overrated?
Dallas 71 20.11%
Austin 229 64.87%
Houston 53 15.01%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times

Advertisements

As much as I like Austin still, it is definitely overhyped. If it were still like it was in 1968, I wouldn't say so. But it's grown way too fast and has humongous traffic jams, and it's harder to find the soulful parts amid all the hubbub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 12:11 AM

342 posts, read 685,412 times
spade! houston football isnt hyped up every year like the dallas cowboys are with all the big names. the point is just like the dallas cowboys both are hyped up but just a big bust, a whole lot of nothing.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:21 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
I love Austin, but it is hyped not only in this forum, but out in the world too, and in the most superficial of ways. I do find that Houston is pushed pretty hard by some people in this forum, but in reality, it's not on most peoples radars. (To some extent unrightfully so.) Dallas is pretty neutral in this forum, but it's the city most people associate with Texas anything. In any case, most people up here in Boston think "Oh Austin is so liberal...I like it." Then worse, they ask me what there is to do in Austin and I say go see the capitol. It's pretty much the only thing that Austin has on the other two.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:00 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I love Austin, but it is hyped not only in this forum, but out in the world too, and in the most superficial of ways. I do find that Houston is pushed pretty hard by some people in this forum, but in reality, it's not on most peoples radars. (To some extent unrightfully so.) Dallas is pretty neutral in this forum, but it's the city most people associate with Texas anything. In any case, most people up here in Boston think "Oh Austin is so liberal...I like it." Then worse, they ask me what there is to do in Austin and I say go see the capitol. It's pretty much the only thing that Austin has on the other two.
Here's some more things you can tell 'em to do--

-walk and people-watch around the river formerly known as Town Lake;
-go hit the Continental Club for Tuesday Hippie Hour, or almost any day;
-staying with the hippie theme, hang (it all) out at Hippie Hollow;
-follow the Quentin Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez Tex-Mex trail to Guero's and Texas Chili Parlor;

IOW, hang out, eat great food, hear good music.

But in a sense, you're right, in that Austin is not a place to go and see stuff. It's a place to go and be stuff.

But Houston is actually a better eating town. I'm a native and love to go back with people new to the town and do the Great Undiscovered Houston eating tour, that starts at Kanomwan, ends at Otilia's, and may stop at Brothers in Law's BBQ, Original Ninfa's, Ocean Palace, and Polonia. Only New York and Chicago, IMO, have a comparable choice of cuisines done well by people who cook, first, to please their countrymen.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Here's some more things you can tell 'em to do--

-walk and people-watch around the river formerly known as Town Lake;
-go hit the Continental Club for Tuesday Hippie Hour, or almost any day;
-staying with the hippie theme, hang (it all) out at Hippie Hollow;
-follow the Quentin Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez Tex-Mex trail to Guero's and Texas Chili Parlor;

IOW, hang out, eat great food, hear good music.

But in a sense, you're right, in that Austin is not a place to go and see stuff. It's a place to go and be stuff.

But Houston is actually a better eating town. I'm a native and love to go back with people new to the town and do the Great Undiscovered Houston eating tour, that starts at Kanomwan, ends at Otilia's, and may stop at Brothers in Law's BBQ, Original Ninfa's, Ocean Palace, and Polonia. Only New York and Chicago, IMO, have a comparable choice of cuisines done well by people who cook, first, to please their countrymen.
Smaller towns in Texas have a better resturante scene than Austin.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:13 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
spade! houston football isnt hyped up every year like the dallas cowboys are with all the big names. the point is just like the dallas cowboys both are hyped up but just a big bust, a whole lot of nothing.
The Cowboys in the past 10 years was only hyped up once and that was this past season. Nobody expected the Cowboys to go 13-3 in 2007. Nobody expected the Cowboys to be anything from 2000-2002. Nobody expected the Cowboys to be a contender from 2000-2007. So where is this every year thing coming from?

Old 02-20-2009, 01:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Not true, I heard Austin was the greatest and most liberal/diverse city in Texas and it has the greatest university ever.

By liberal they mean regressive Democratic government ruling over the city with an iron fist. The people in general come across as hostile, hiding something, and very self absorbed. There is literally nothing fun to do in Austin. Everywhere you go there is a creepy vibe that people are going to do something bad.

I had my car stolen by people who claimed to be "mechanics" the first year I was there. I was bamboozled by a job recruiter. White Anglos are permitted to treat minorities like dirt and to discriminate. The university district is completely lacking in quality and morals. There is a lack of quality people to network with. The list of complaints go on and on.

Very over-hyped city. Not worth living there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
by who's standards?
If Austin is considered a piece of crap by everyone then it guess its not that over hyped...

Last edited by artsyguy; 02-20-2009 at 02:08 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 02:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
The only problem with Dallas are crime issues.

Houston has crime and humidity issues.

Austin has crime, no culture, nothing to do, overcrowded, humidity, and too much traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I really don't think any of them is over hyped ;they are three unique urban areas in Texas. More so than any other areas.That is why they are so popular for urban areas of texas.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
With all due respect, UT-Austin is a very good university. Though academically, Rice Univ would rank higher. But one is public and the other is private.

As far as crime, I do understand a little of where you're coming from. I have more experience with crime in Austin than in Houston (and I lived in Houston longer). Statistically that shouldn't be the case, perhaps my case was unique. In Austin I had two friends assaulted by strangers on two separate occasions (one knocked unconscious and his watch stolen), one other friend assaulted on 6th St by some drunk kid causing trouble, and a family member and his friend jumped by a gang of thugs and assaulted (put in hospital with broken bones on face) when leaving a bar/restaurant. Three other friends had their vehicles broken into, one had all his CDs stolen. The area I lived (which was not a bad area at all, actually rather expensive) had graffiti problems galore.

By contrast in Houston there have been only a few incidents with people I know; one friend was assaulted when he got into it with a bouncer at a club. A couple had their home broken into and robbed, but at the time they lived in what's known as a fairly high-crime area. Another was assaulted in a parking lot by someone on parole, but again in a bad area of town.

Keep in mind this probably isn't typical... just my personal experience. Point being, Austin is not immune to crime problems in the least.

I never noticed the creepy vibe or racial problems you mentioned though. I did notice a pretentious vibe (people acting like Austin was the end-all be-all and other cities in Texas worthless).

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Not true, I heard Austin was the greatest and most liberal/diverse city in Texas and it has the greatest university ever.

By liberal they mean regressive Democratic government ruling over the city with an iron fist. The people in general come across as hostile, hiding something, and very self absorbed. There is literally nothing fun to do in Austin. Everywhere you go there is a creepy vibe that people are going to do something bad.

I had my car stolen by people who claimed to be "mechanics" the first year I was there. I was bamboozled by a job recruiter. White Anglos are permitted to treat minorities like dirt and to discriminate. The university district is completely lacking in quality and morals. There is a lack of quality people to network with. The list of complaints go on and on.

Very over-hyped city. Not worth living there.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Gimme a small Texas town over any of those 3 big cities anyday. They all have an air of "I'm the best" which I don't care for.

Glad to see Ft. Worth is not there because I actually like visiting Ft. Worth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas