Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,663 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transfered to longview tx from Tulsa Oklahoma. I am wondering are there many workout facilities, with classes like spinning and kick boxing. . Is there any big town feel to the people or community, are there coffee shops, museums, really I am looking for some good news here. He is very excited. I am concerned how I will meet people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 09:50 PM

216 posts, read 934,526 times
There are a handful of good workout facilities in town, a new 24-hour fitness center is set to begin construction soon.

Not much of a big town feel here, more like a busy suburb feel. You'll still be able to get your Starbucks fix and you shouldn't have any trouble meeting people.

Age, children, income bracket, housing choices and other things might steer you to one area of town or another ... but all-in-all this is a good town to live in. Tyler and Shreveport are fairly close for an occasional change-of-pace and The Dallas area is close enough for a weekend shopping excursion.

If you need more detailed info, feel free to send a direct message.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue london View Post
My husband is being transfered to longview tx from Tulsa Oklahoma. Is there any big town feel to the people or community, are there coffee shops, museums
No

Starbucks thats about it

Old 10-21-2008, 05:24 AM

595 posts, read 2,721,716 times
Longview has good shopping. I sometimes drive over there from the Tyler area. They have a really good Target and an nice Wal Mart on I think a street called Estes Pkwy. They used to be the closest Academy Sports ...but Tyler just opened one last week. I would say that you should find a good "cause". That's what I did when I first moved to Tyler. I became involved with a historical house/museum and got on the board and have met many nice people that way. People are transferred in to the East Texas area all the time from large metro area's. You shouldn't have trouble meeting people.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 AM

189 posts, read 628,700 times
Welcome to Longview, Sue. I just moved to Longview 5 months ago. Longview does not have a busy city feel, but we are only 50 minutes from Shreveport and 2 hours from Dallas. I'm a member of Parkway, which is a workout facility and they do have spinning and I think kick boxing. You may want to look into the Good Shephard one about to open soon. They will have 2 indoor pools. We will most likely move over there once it's open. We didn't know about it until after we'd placed membership at the other club.
The people here are friendly. I haven't met too many people here, but that is because we go out of town a lot on the weekends and was away on a month long vacation. I also am not working this year, so that has affected me meeting people.... but if you are out and about you will meet lots of friendly people.
Feel free to message me on here and I'll go out and have coffee with you! Just count me as a new friend in Longview.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 AM

9 posts, read 31,592 times
Red face Moved to Longview...

We have relocated to Longview, Tx. We are originally from Texas but have been in Idaho for 12 or so years. Hubby relocated and works in Bossier City. We didnt mean to live so far away, but having horses we had a difficult time finding a rental to allow for our animals.
So, here we are.......the relocation strapped us for $$ and we know no one. My 15 year old daughter is driving me crazy....i need to get her involved in something. We havent been to a Church here yet, but plan to soon. I need to meet some folks too. I'm missing Idaho, but i know it is because i just dont know a soul here.
Any "hang outs" besides the mall? I plan to look for some work out places as well......have many a LB to get rid of. I plan to get a job, but until some things are taken care of.....no job for me. (I have a handicapped child)
Okay, any ideas or places of interest for me? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas