Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,221 times

Advertisements

I need help on this issue... maybe one of you has been in a similar situation... I own a 6.5 month old dog and can no longer keep him, so he's not a little puppy anymore. Little puppies are easy to get adopted, but I need to find a way to have him adopted without having to put him in a shelter. How do you go about trying to find someone decent? Is there anyone or any place around here (Lampasas/coryell/bell county) that I can turn to other than shelters? (I don't wanna do like the ones who sit in front of HEB with puppies and a cardboard sign....) Any advice is appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 03:23 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
is he some sort of purebred??

if he is, you can likely find some rescue group(s) for that breed on the internet..... may involve some travel to get him to the new home, but worth it because he will be in a home with people experienced with and knowledgeable of his breed.

even if he is not, if he is mostly one breed or another, a rescue group for the dominant breed may be willing to help you out.

good luck

Old 10-22-2008, 03:34 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
I don't know about other parts of Texas but I did get this most outstanding dog...

from Operation Kindness in Carrollton (Dallas).

The reason I mention this is that Operation Kindness might have some contact information that could be helpful.

Good Luck

Last edited by WillysB; 10-22-2008 at 03:44 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 03:42 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelz23 View Post
I need help on this issue... maybe one of you has been in a similar situation... I own a 6.5 month old dog and can no longer keep him, so he's not a little puppy anymore. Little puppies are easy to get adopted, but I need to find a way to have him adopted without having to put him in a shelter. How do you go about trying to find someone decent? Is there anyone or any place around here (Lampasas/coryell/bell county) that I can turn to other than shelters? (I don't wanna do like the ones who sit in front of HEB with puppies and a cardboard sign....) Any advice is appreciated...
I hope bellestaroftexas reads this post. She lives in that area and is a wonderful lover of dogs. Where are you, belle?

Whatever you do, please find him a good home. All canines deserve love, respect, and care.

Thank you!!

Old 10-22-2008, 03:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
You might talk to your vet. Sometimes they can help place dogs.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
yes i am here! the biggest dog lover in the world.
and to the original poster... i just moved to a cheap ole trailer way out in the country, and already my sign on my forehead "all homeless dogs, come to me" has been discovered. i have a homeless border collie who i feed, and opened up my shed for shelter. he follows me and my two little dogs on the twice daily walks.
i cant take him in. i have a small stock fence yard that i built that is too small for him. my doggy door, custom made is just big enough for my small ones. all i can do is keep him as an outside dog, and give him reasonable shelter and food/water.
animal control in the county cant catch him. he only comes to me.
i would take pics of the dog and put a free ad on CRAIGS LIST. there is one for Waco/Ft HOOD/Killeen area and is VERY WIDELY viewed and used in this area.
please please make sure you make every effort to give the dog a loving home. or at least bring him to SECOND CHANCE in Killeen!!! a NO KILL SHELTER http://www.centexhumanesociety.com/

ARE YOU ACTIVE DUTY AND DEPLOYING???? IS THAT THE REASON YOU CANT KEEP HIM? IF SO, THERE ARE ORGANIZATIONS HERE WHO ARRANGE FOR FOSTERING YOUR PET WHILE YOU ARE IN THE SANDBOX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I hope bellestaroftexas reads this post. She lives in that area and is a wonderful lover of dogs. Where are you, belle?

Whatever you do, please find him a good home. All canines deserve love, respect, and care.

Thank you!!

Last edited by NOTAM; 10-22-2008 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-22-2008, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,221 times
I DO want to make sure he has a good home, that's my reason for posting. I can't give any details about the situation on here as two of my posts have been deleted because of it. I did post it under classifieds though. I already placed an ad on craigslist, thanks for the advice with the vet, I will do that asap.
And to anyone who feels offended because I can't keep this dog, I too am a firm believer of keeping a pet for its entire life as I have been with my previous pets, but sometimes you just have to, for one, admit when you have too much on your hands to handle and for two.. if you have to make the choice between your kids or your own wellbeing/intact skin and a pet, how would you choose? It was hard enough for me to make this decision and trust me, I've cried many tears over it, but I'm trying to give everyone the best chance in life, including the dog.

Thank you for everyone who responded.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:19 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
i am so sorry. i didnt mean to come across as judging you. i dont know your situation. i am glad and very relieved to hear that you are a responsible pet owner . i pray for yall. god bless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelz23 View Post
I DO want to make sure he has a good home, that's my reason for posting. I can't give any details about the situation on here as two of my posts have been deleted because of it. I did post it under classifieds though. .I already placed an ad on craigslist, thanks for the advice with the vet, I will do that asap.
And to anyone who feels offended because I can't keep this dog, I too am a firm believer of keeping a pet for its entire life as I have been with my previous pets, but sometimes you just have to, for one, admit when you have too much on your hands to handle and for two.. if you have to make the choice between your kids or your own wellbeing/intact skin and a pet, how would you choose? It was hard enough for me to make this decision and trust me, I've cried many tears over it, but I'm trying to give everyone the best chance in life, including the dog.

Thank you for everyone who responded.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:52 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
...i would take pics of the dog and put a free ad on CRAIGS LIST...

If you do this, make sure you put a small adoption fee... like $50-75 to make sure the person adopting is serious, and not looking for free pit bull bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas