Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you glad the fall season has arrived in Texas?
Yes, Bring It On 31 88.57%
No, and Please Pass The Sunscreen 2 5.71%
Maybe, But A Little Cold Is Fine 1 2.86%
Doesn't Matter To Me 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:36 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,350,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian/SWE View Post
I'm woving tro Austin in one or two years, it's not going to be easy to get used to the hot weather...
Since I live in Sweden.

Does anybody know were Sweden is? I'm just curius.
Yes, I know where Sweden is! I'm curious--what is making you move to another country, especially Austin? What is luring you there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 04:30 PM

779 posts, read 2,241,962 times
Even people from overseas want to experience the Texas lifestyle, it's wonderful. I would love to experience the weather in the fall in Texas. I can imagine how pleasant it can be.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,829,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I visit Austin every Summer, so I know how hot it gets! I don't care as long as I have a pool and AC! I'd rather be hot than cold. That shoveling snow and raking leaves is for the birds! I'm sore for a solid week after doing my leaves.
LOL!!! You'll still have to rake leaves in TX if you have trees, but you won't have to shovel snow!

Most native Texans don't know what truly cold weather is. I've been in really cold weather in IN/IL....and with the humidity, -4 is COLD. I cannot imagine anything worse.

But I like dry, moderately cold weather! It doesn't penetrate to the bones as the Midwestern wet cold does. -15 in CO didn't feel as cold as -4 in IN/IL did.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:44 PM

52,626 posts, read 47,829,770 times
Quote:
I visit Austin every Summer, so I know how hot it gets! I don't care as long as I have a pool and AC! I'd rather be hot than cold. That shoveling snow and raking leaves is for the birds! I'm sore for a solid week after doing my leaves.
Well, TG@H, you won't be shoveling snow here, but you'll still have to deal with the leaves, unless the place you move into doesn't have a lot of trees.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Well, TG@H, you won't be shoveling snow here, but you'll still have to deal with the leaves, unless the place you move into doesn't have a lot of trees.
I plan on being an apartment dweller! Homeownership is NOT all it's cracked up to be, esp. if you're a single woman and have no-one to help with the physical labor in the upkeep of a home. I'm tired of climbing up a ladder onto my roof and cleaning out gutters, tired of mowing almost an acre of grass, and DEFINITELY tired of raking leaves--it takes 3 days of non-stop work doing my leaves. It's back breaking. I was hoping my house would sell before they fell, but alas, it looks like I'll be doing leaves again this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL!!! You'll still have to rake leaves in TX if you have trees, but you won't have to shovel snow!

Most native Texans don't know what truly cold weather is. I've been in really cold weather in IN/IL....and with the humidity, -4 is COLD. I cannot imagine anything worse.

But I like dry, moderately cold weather! It doesn't penetrate to the bones as the Midwestern wet cold does. -15 in CO didn't feel as cold as -4 in IN/IL did.
Yeah, until you experience that extreme cold, you have no idea what it's like. It's the same for someone who has never experienced extreme heat. I tell this story over and over but it bears repeating. Once I lived in Galveston during the mid-90's and I came out to my car to find out that my rearview mirror had melted off my windshield That's freakin' HOT!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:48 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,829,788 times
Quote:
.....Yeah, until you experience that extreme cold, you have no idea what it's like. It's the same for someone who has never experienced extreme heat. I tell this story over and over but it bears repeating. Once I lived in Galveston during the mid-90's and I came out to my car to find out that my rearview mirror had melted off my windshield That's freakin' HOT!
OK, I didn't realize that you had already lived in TX and know what extreme heat is...LOL!! If it melted the rearview mirror anchor, I'm surprised it didn't bust out all of the windows at the same time. That happened years ago to one of my uncles.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I plan on being an apartment dweller! Homeownership is NOT all it's cracked up to be, esp. if you're a single woman and have no-one to help with the physical labor in the upkeep of a home. I'm tired of climbing up a ladder onto my roof and cleaning out gutters, tired of mowing almost an acre of grass, and DEFINITELY tired of raking leaves--it takes 3 days of non-stop work doing my leaves. It's back breaking. I was hoping my house would sell before they fell, but alas, it looks like I'll be doing leaves again this year.
Yes! I am all for living in an apartment when I make my move to Dallas. I know people say that it is like throwing away your money every month and there are more benefits when you own a condo or a house, but I like the simplicity of owning an apartment. All I have to worry about is paying rent, as well as bills, be a good resident, and the apartment complex will take care of the rest. Plus, I have always wanted to live in a two story, upstairs apartment, but no roommate.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
OK, I didn't realize that you had already lived in TX and know what extreme heat is...LOL!! If it melted the rearview mirror anchor, I'm surprised it didn't bust out all of the windows at the same time. That happened years ago to one of my uncles.
Well thankfully, my windows didn't bust! Yes, I know HOT!

Old 10-26-2008, 06:02 PM

That is the one of the biggest disadvantages of having your rearview mirror mounted on an anchor of your windshield on a very hot day: the melting.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,279,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
I picked the response, "no, and please pass the sunscreen". Im not sure why someone would need to pass the sunscreen, as the amount of sun here in winter (last time I was here) was scarce.

With this type of 'chill', the cold air just zips right down into my lungs and chokes me up everytime. These last couple of days have been a dreary reminder of my dislike for Texas cold. Luckily today the sun came out, I was actually surprised. I guess those artificial UV lights can wait.

Yesterday...rainy and cold, what a drag. Is this the kind of weather people like? Because I assume it only deteriates as the season goes on. We'll see how it really turns out. Im sure by next week it'll be freezing, by then...luckily i'll be in the Carribean when it does.
Um, how long have you lived here? The weather does not deteriate from here. Yes, we do have our cold spells and even a spell or two of freeze for a few days but not consistently like up north. Some years we get some ice but it melts after a day or two.

Hypercore, great poem! I love this time of year. I'm just glad we don't get the cold like where Texasgirl is from. At least she knows what's in store for her in the summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas