Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,561 times

Advertisements

We're moving to a new home near Canyon Lake Texas (Comal County) in a few weeks. We escaped the PA snow in 1982 by moving to FL. Canyon Lake is about fifteen miles west of I 35 and has beautiful scenery. You might have a hard time spending 400,000 on a house there since prices are still comparitively low. Wimberley (Hayes County) is a nearby town that is very interesting (charming) and our builder there seems to be very busy with new houses. We were really happy with him (he also used to build kitchen cabinets). People from all over the country (and other countries) are buying land here and I think the area is going to grow rapidly. We're also very near a beautiful new high school that will open this fall. So far the negatives I've unnearthed - some hail storms, an occasional tornado but not common, and cedar fever -an allergy to the cedar trees that grow everywhere in the hill country (apparently around Dec-Feb) We were holed up in San Antonio for three days in mid Jan bcause of freezing rain which happens once in a while. If you need any references let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 01:07 PM

10 posts, read 42,156 times
Greystonefarm,

We recently relocated here to the Hill Country from 2,500 miles away too. But we are 88 miles west of Austin off I-10. Might be able to answer any specific questions about the heart of the Hill Country. But the hill country really starts just west of Austin in the Westlake Hills. East of that is pretty, but mostly flatland.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:34 PM

117 posts, read 538,158 times
Thank you....
My husband and I are flying into Austin Wednesday afternoon. We will be staying in Dripping Springs and Wimberly-2 nights each. We have a realtor who is setting up some properties to show us around those areas.
Although we may end up renting for the 1st year and then buying/building.

What about the bugs? People here are warning me about the "bugs"...
Are they that different from mosquitos, etc in wooded or wet areas at dusk/dawn that we deal with in the midwest?

I saw pictures of Lost Maples in the autumn that are amazing. Do the colors change at all elsewhere in the fall in Hill Country?

Old 02-24-2007, 02:09 PM

10 posts, read 42,156 times
Jill,

Yes the color change elsewhere. Starts around Thanksgiving where we are. If I could figure out how to post jpegs I would post a couple picture from early December.

Depends on where in the midwest you refer to mosquitos. The only place I saw worse than Minnesota was in Naknek, Alaska. No wonder they call it the MN state bird. We live less 300 yds from a river and so far mosquitos haven't been an issue for us.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:28 PM

117 posts, read 538,158 times
Can anyone recommend a charming place to stay under $125 a night around Dripping Springs or Wimberley? The guidebooks and sites make so many of them sound great...
Clean, not generic, in a pretty setting. Any ideas? It'll be just my husband and I.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:32 AM

364 posts, read 1,420,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greystonefarm View Post
Can anyone recommend a charming place to stay under $125 a night around Dripping Springs or Wimberley? The guidebooks and sites make so many of them sound great...
Clean, not generic, in a pretty setting. Any ideas? It'll be just my husband and I.
Try http://www.hat.org/ for good B&B's. Best of luck in your search.

Oh, for Christian schools look at http://www.tapps.net/

Enjoy your stay.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,561 times
Default Wimberley

I've never stayed here but this looks like a nice http://www.mtgainorinn.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas