Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,241 times

Advertisements

I want to know about the jobs that are available in Texas, as very soon I am planning to shift to Texas. What I am looking for are any proper channels or a source to help me know about the job scenario there. I have seen some sites that offer good information out there but if you people can get me some more to look out, it would be great help.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 02:30 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,420,353 times
Well, there are of course the big job boards like careerbuilder and monster. I have also heard that if you have a specific career, there are usually job boards tailored to those industries (such as accounting job boards, law job boards, etc). When I have switched companies, I have had good success with recuiters as well.

Another thing to do is look at individual websites of companies based in Houston. For example, the Houston Chronicle newspaper website lists the top 100 companies in Houston every year. Find similar lists, go down the list, googling the home page for each company and look at their individual career sections. That's how friends of mine have found jobs in the past. There are many more jobs listed on individual companies' career sites than ever make it out to the large scale job boards.

Good luck in your search!

Old 11-04-2008, 04:55 AM

3,852 posts, read 12,835,223 times
just search around. Search google for lists of the top 10 largest employers etc. Use monster to find employers. Apply through craigslist. Apply through corporate websites.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,203,293 times
Try Top USA Jobs, enter a city and state with some search criteria and you'll get some jobs listings. Some are already closed, some link to corporate sites to submit application.

The State jobs board is Work In Texas. You can enter your criteria here and jobs submitted to the state employment agency will show. Works with InternetExplorer better than Firefox. And you can have then auto-send emails for job matches.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:58 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,495,229 times
Pick the newspapers in the areas you like Craigslist is always free and a great source and local counties have websites with jobs at times.

Craigslist is generally a good site.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:43 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,590,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonSean View Post
I want to know about the jobs that are available in Texas, as very soon I am planning to shift to Texas. What I am looking for are any proper channels or a source to help me know about the job scenario there. I have seen some sites that offer good information out there but if you people can get me some more to look out, it would be great help.

Thanks in advance!

You & everyone else flocking here to escape the failed blue states. Do you know of any back doors you could get access to? The good-ole-boy system is the only way I ever found a truly good job, even in the big city. Either you can do that, or be a superstar but then you wouldn't be asking these questions here. To be honest I've done exactly what has been advised here in the past (over the course of nearly 2 years) and was sorely disappointed.

Monster & those types of sites either got me a retail mgmt job that merely paid the bills while I looked for something decent, OR wasted my time with generic "riddle me this" type interviews.

Sample Behavioral Job Interview Questions <= study this

The problem is I don't B.S. and I don't kiss ass, so I'd pass the first round but never passed the final round. (In hindsight I wouldn't have stayed at those jobs very long if I actually got them.)

Also there are a lot of recruiters out there worth $32k/yr who justify their existence by wasting other people's time. And there are a lot of questionable and downright stupid procedures going on with those cats. Try applying for the same job through different sites & see what happens.

Now for this I haven't looked recently- BUT 99% of the TX Workforce Commission jobs listed always seemed to be $12 GED jobs, or rarely there were some local govt engineering or technical type jobs. Then I noticed being local government jobs, they didn't pay very well and didn't have much room for growth. I would imagine there may be some medical field jobs listed as those are always in demand.

Sorry to P in your Cheerios but I wouldn't expect much from those sites. Networking is the absolute best way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas