Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:53 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
That's funny I was just thinking the same about a NY accent. You know the kinda dumb Bronx stuff I mean. Uneducated, quick talking want let you get a word in edge wise people just typical NY accent! Oh but wait should I base my views on so little?
I agree. That strong NYC accent is repugnant. LOL, my aunt moved there from Pennsylvania and tried like mad to prevent my cousin from picking up the accent. But it was a losing battle since my cousin was born there. Once she started school, it was a done deal. LOL, my aunt never stopped trying to soften her daughter's accent, though, as it bugged her. Heh, when my cousin hit her teen-age years, I think she purposely exaggerated it just to drive my aunt nuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 11:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
I actually like most accents, now that I think about it. Just like I like lots of different kinds of flowers or lot of different kinds of foods. Makes life more interesting if everything is not just the same.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:59 AM

295 posts, read 1,179,151 times
I personally love my Southern drawl. The longer that I am away from Texas, the less pronounced it has become and I really hate that I am losing it.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:04 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
I think it's probably my least favorite.
You do? Welllll, butter my LoneStar studded Southern rear end. To THINK...all these years, we down y'har have been tawkin' in a way that might offend the sensibilities of them fine cultured folk from the Bronx....

Old 11-16-2008, 12:04 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
For comparison/contrast purposes, it probably isn't a bad thread idea. But our OP hasn't shown up here since his first post, which makes me wonder.....

Old 11-16-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malone7384 View Post
I personally love my Southern drawl. The longer that I am away from Texas, the less pronounced it has become and I really hate that I am losing it.
*smiles* Don't worry about it, Texas friend! If you ever move back down here, you will pick it up again naturally!

I have heard, from many well-reseached and scholarly linguistic sources, that a person develops their dialect and idiom fairly early in life And even after being away from their native state/region for many years? When they move back "home" it comes back quickly!

Old 11-16-2008, 12:08 PM

684 posts, read 2,109,941 times
I personally love the Texas "twang" .....and my least favorite like a previous poster is the New York / New Jersey accent....sounds abrasive and "pushy"

....Do you Texans pick up our California / West Coast accent when you hear us speak? It kinda makes me chuckle when I think that when we are visiting Texas, we hear your accent...but in reality it is US who have an "accent"
there...

Old 11-16-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
For comparison/contrast purposes, it probably isn't a bad thread idea. But our OP hasn't shown up here since his first post, which makes me wonder.....
Yeah, me too, Case.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:11 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,795 times
This native New Yorker likes the Texas accent just fine. It's the Michigan accent that really got on my nerves when I lived there.

My NY accent only really comes out when I'm angry (or drunk)

Old 11-16-2008, 12:15 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
I should tell you that I do have a mild Texas accent, not terribly heavy. Several years ago, I recall getting a phone call from a strange lady in New Jersey whom I've never met. How she got my name and phone number, I don't know. But, anyhow, she called me, and the moment I answered the phone, she was tickled to death at my accent. I was floored. At the time, I never really paid that much attention to my accent (I was in my late teens at that time), and never realized it showed. In the end, we never kept in touch since the initial conversation, but I thought that was so bizarre.

And I'm not all that crazy about northern or Yankee accents. But Latin or Spanish accents coming from females?? Now that's a real turn-on for me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas