Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times

Advertisements

Beardome sounds horrible, I agree with a riverfront stadium facing downtown and the brazos, and extension of the riverwalk from Downtown to Baylor would be good especially for all the games it will draw like high school but waco is the mecca for high school playoff games, new buildings off 35 and University Parks Drive would be good for the skyline, Floyd Casey can be demolished for all I care even though it was a World War site back in the day. Next the residents who live in East of 35 off MLK property taxes out the roof got to move, that sucks but this plan has been in the works since the tire plant closed in 85. And remember the developments going on to the south at 35 and 340 interchange.
The city is finally progressing all the old money is dying off.
Also for the joker who said Elm st the ghetto, well without jobs what do you expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 07:17 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
No, I actually completely agree that the whole concept including the Bear Dome would work, I was just stating that while the majority of Waco would probably be for a dome over a new stadium I just simply like the outdoor "college" feel. Syracuse, and Idaho have domes and they are somewhat depressing inside. I know to families, and others the indoor environment is better, but not sure for the student body, just my opinion though. Only plus side to a dome is if Baylor could start attracting sellout crowds the noise factor would be a plus!

Another thing to look into, and im sure it has been, but does the University already have expansion plans for Floyd Casey, or has it already reached it's potential? If they did build it with intentions to expand in the future it's gonna be very hard to have them agree to a new facility.
I haven't heard the Floyd Casey plans, but my opinion is it needs an appointment with a wrecking ball. As for the dome idea, I'm still torn, because an outdoor stadium would be just as effective at bringing in fans, and there are pros and cons when you do have a fixed roof. You already know the advantage of having something outdoors. What I can't wait for is the new development coming off the river adjacent to downtown. Those trees next to that new resort hotel may be palms.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I haven't heard the Floyd Casey plans, but my opinion is it needs an appointment with a wrecking ball. As for the dome idea, I'm still torn, because an outdoor stadium would be just as effective at bringing in fans, and there are pros and cons when you do have a fixed roof. You already know the advantage of having something outdoors. What I can't wait for is the new development coming off the river adjacent to downtown. Those trees next to that new resort hotel may be palms.
Yes, I agree...I think all of the River plans, and the other outdoor activities are a major YES! As for the Beardome, well, while I think it would work, and be a pretty cool site from the road I don't know how much the University, and city are going to see it as a need. First problem is that Floyd Casey holds what around 40 - 45K?, and they can't sell tickets to it hardly, so more capacity isn't just going to come in for HS games, and outside events. As for the bridge after thinking about it, if it's a section of I-35 it will all be up to TxDot.... and be based upon traffic unless some private investor decides to flush alot of money into the State, just a thought.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post

I know Floyd Casey underwent some renovations a few years ago, so it may be highly unlikely Baylor is going to shell out any money now for a "new" stadium, domed or not. To be honest I could never understand why Baylor located their stadium (Floyd Casey) so far away from the campus. Today it would make sense to locate it next to campus, after all the Ferrell Center is there, as is the baseball field and marina.
I do know for a fact there is a shuttle that Waco Transit operates around the campus and there are plans in the works to extend the routes into downtown.
I was just downtown yesterday and Austin Avenue Flats are nearing completion, and the new housing at Washington @ 4th Street is really starting to take shape nicely. Soon, the renovation on the Convention Center and Central Library will also begin, as well as the Hotel Indigo and the former Waco High School building at 9th @ Columbus. I might be going downtown tomorrow to take some pics, if I do, I'll post here.
Here are some links of the things about to start or have already started.

City of Waco, Texas (http://www.waco-texas.com/bond-election-projects/convention-center.html - broken link)

City of Waco, Texas (http://www.waco-texas.com/bond-election-projects/library-projects.html - broken link)

Heritage Quarters - Waco Student Apartments

Waco Town Square :: Experience the Square (http://www.wacotownsquare.com/index.htm - broken link)

Old 11-20-2010, 04:53 AM

32 posts, read 82,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
I have always wanted to see a couple of more buildings in downtown close to ALICOS height (22 stories). Years ago there was talk of a 17 story building but it never got built, that was mid 80s and right before the OIL crash, so that might be why it never got built. If I am not mistaken I think there is a height limit, no building can be taller than ALICO. I may be mistaken though. If things go as planned on that "vision", I wouldnt be surprised to see a few buildings in the 15-20 story range built.
That is ridiculous. There is no height limit in regard to being taller than the Alico. The owner of the insurance company that built the Amicable Building in 1910-11 (Alico is a more recent name) actually thought that the building would be just the first of many tall buildings in downtown Waco. At that time Waco was booming and further development was expected. I have worked in the Alico Building for many years and have never heard of any height restrictions for Waco buildings. I wish there were some new high rises built to accompany the grand 'ol Alico and give Waco a real skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas