U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:06 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,793 times
Default Texas Alcohol laws

I've lived in a few states some that are very open with alcohol (e.g, California) and some that aren't (e.g, Pennsylvania). I'm just curious how Texas with alcohol.

From what I understand you can get beer and wine all over the place (grocery stores etc), but is the selection good? Can you get imported beers/wines? From what I can tell the sell of spirits is restricted to only particular stores and can't be purchased on certain days.

I mainly drink beer and wine, so I just wanted to see if my understanding of the laws in Texas are correct and wanted to see what residents have to say about the selection in the state (Is BevMo in Texas?).

Oh, and what about local breweries? Any good ones? There are a few beers from Texas that make it here that are decent, but often local brews don't make it across state lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:16 PM

5,010 posts, read 7,782,930 times
Two words - Shiner Bock.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:05 PM

1,184 posts, read 2,437,148 times
It varies from each County. It's a local rule. Texas is not a Trader's Joe's belly up to the bar to get your wine and go to Sam's Club to purchase your liquor state.

I'll add we like it this way.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
I'll add we like it this way.
I'm sure many in the state don't like nanny alcohol laws.

Regardless, I want to know how Texas does things. Not debate the nature of alcohol laws. As far as I understand you can purchase wine and beer in a grocery store in Texas (which I would imagine includes Trader Joes, although I don't think they exist in Texas).

If I moved to Texas it would be Travis County.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:51 AM

527 posts, read 471,822 times
Their is no Trader Joe's in TX. You can purchase wine and beer in Travis county if they have a TABC license, and it is current. For alcohol purchases refer to this website Austin Liquor Stores in Austin TX Yellow Pages by SuperPages Call and make sure its in business as this might not be current and up to date. Hope this helps.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:02 AM

7,711 posts, read 17,911,936 times
Travis County (Austin) is most likely the same as Houston, which is as lenient as Texas can be. It goes something like this:

Anything greater than ~20% (liquor, liqeurs) is always sold out of liquor stores. The rest is found in grocery stores, convenience stores, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. Not sure when liquor stores open, never had to make a morning liquor run but they have to shut down at 9pm, and they're always closed on Sunday. There are no beer/wine sales between midnight and 6am, or midnight-noon on Sunday. Friday night/Sat morning is extended to 1am here; some areas aren't.

As for finding beer, many grocery stores have a wide variety of popular stuff, domestic & import. I can find beers you may be familiar with, such as Red Seal and Sierra Nevada at my grocer all day. Some stores (like our Wal Mart) carry IPA's from Oregon (Broken Halo, Bridgeport, etc). The imports like Heineken, Grolsch, Guinness/Bass/Harp, and Mexican types like Corona, XX, Sol & Modelo you can find all day, everywhere. Houston has giant Specs liquor stores scattered all over town, which are grocery store sized liquor stores. I believe Austin just got one of these. They sell almost everything in the book, and if they don't have it in stock, they'll get it for you.

As for Texas beers, if you're a beer snob like I am, you will probably think they pretty much suck. Shiner Bock is decent and very easy to guzzle for being dark but the rest of the Shiner line isn't very good. Ziegenbock, only available in TX, is Budweiser's attempt at a Bock (blah). St. Arnolds is a Houston microbrew and their entire line, except for their IPA, is terrible. Their IPA is a lot like Jockamo, which comes from Louisiana microbrew Abita. Both are quite strong but are simply B-grade IPA's. They don't compete with those that come from the PacNW. Seems like something is off with the hops down here. It's probably climatic. As a native/lifelong Texan, I can safely say climate might explain why many of us think Bud Light (and other premium P-water) is "good beer." Real beers get you dehydrated/wasted in our heat extremely fast!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 07:07 AM

4,317 posts, read 7,926,712 times
Many of the Dallas suburbs are dry, and some cities are split dry and "moist". There are only a couple "wet" cities where you can buy liquor. Most grocery stores do not sell beer and wine because, as I said, they are in dry cities.

There is no constant across Texas, so you can't take an experience in one city and put it onto another. Also, many cities have different rules at to how late you can buy alcohol in restaurants. Most close at 2am, but many close at 12 or 1am because of city laws.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:13 AM

7,711 posts, read 17,911,936 times
Dallas and Ft Worth suburbs are dry like that. The Houston suburbs are 99% wet, with 2 or 3 very small, obscure areas that are dry. Being that Austin is supposedly the most liberal place in TX, I'm pretty sure their suburbs are like Houston's, but I could be mistaken. Stay within the big city limts, and you can find anything you want.

Generally speaking, the dry areas in TX are in the north half and in the deep east.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:46 AM

What is meant by "dry city". No alcohol is sold?

Seems like Texas' alcohol laws are even weirder than Pennsylvania.

I really don't care about not being able to buy alcohol at such and such time, or on Sundays (thats how it is in Pennsylvania too) so long there are places were you can easily buy it during the day. Really don't care too much about hard liquor either.

Just out of curiosity what about 6-packs? Pennsylvania had this odd thing where you could only get 24 packs from the beer stores, made sampling a bit expensive.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:48 AM

4,317 posts, read 7,926,712 times
"Dry" means no alcohol of any kind. No beer, no wine, no liquor.
"Moist" is not a common term, but I like it. It refers to only beer and wine.
"Wet" Means you can buy anything.

Each store carries a different supply. Some will have 6-packs, some won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas