Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 11:49 AM

16 posts, read 63,666 times

Advertisements

My husband just got an offer for an oil company and we will be located in Longview. *happy dance* This has been a year in the coming.

Once he gets thru the testing and pre-job stuff, he'll be starting in Feburary. The kids and I will follow probably after the school year ends.

So, our stats. We have 2 boys who will be 4 & 6 when we move. I wil be a SAHM. We are not religious in the least, but are respectful of others. We just don't want to be "saved". LOL We have 2 dogs, one is a Pitt Bull (will that be a problem?).

We are looking for the zip code with the better schools, obviously. I'm also interested in getting involved with the school and/or community. I'm also interested in mom's groups.

We are hoping for a good sized house on a lot of land, but nearby the town amentities (medical, shopping, things to do, etc). We have to be within a 1 hour drive to Longview.

Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, guidance on the community, where to live, things to do, good schools, etc? Any info you can give me will be helpful.

Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 02:30 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
mooney, congrats on the opportunity. I don't really know much of anything about Longview other than where it is. However, your next act should be to send off for the Texas Travel Guide. It's FREE ! ! ! It contains info about localities around the state. Get it now so by time you get here you'll know where you are. And includes a state map.

Texas Secretary of State - voter registration
Department of Transportation - vehicle registration
Texas District Viewer - Political districts

Welcome home ! ! !

Old 11-22-2008, 03:49 PM

216 posts, read 934,780 times
You will have a variety of options. Unless there is a specific town or school district you fall in love with, no reason to live as far as an hour away though.

Several good schools and communities within 30-45 minutes.

Might want to have hubby rent close to work, check out the area, and talk with co-workers to get there opinions.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:20 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
The mall and best shopping is on the north and northeast side (on the loop) around 259. There are very nice in the general area of Hollybrook and 4th which is also near the hospitals if you like city living. Check out Hallsville just east of Longview on 80. Good school ratings and ranchette type homesteads all around. Also check out the new homes along 2879, 449, not sure about those school districts and 149 near New Diana.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:08 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Good Luck ! But I hope you will eventually change your mind about being "saved". Before it's too late. With all do respect.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:19 PM

216 posts, read 934,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
..... There are very nice in the general area of Hollybrook and 4th .....
???????

Old 11-23-2008, 01:30 PM

189 posts, read 628,824 times
Welcome to Longview! I just moved here almost 6 months ago and am enjoying it here. We moved to the Wildwood neighborhood, it's in the Pine Tree school district. One thing I found interesting was that there are 3 school districts here. I found that odd considering the size of the town. I could give you the name of the realtor who helped us find our house. She wasn't pushy and helped us find the kind of home we wanted and not what she thought we should have. Just let me know if you want it. What I did to help me decide where I wanted to live was look up homes around town on the internet. We ended up chosing the house we loved from the internet. When we got into town to look for homes we knew immediately that that was the house we wanted. I also looked up the school districs online and researched them.

Hallsville is another place I've heard people talking about around here. We couldn't look out there, my husband and I had to live within 10 minutes of the hospital for his job.

Have fun house hunting.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:44 PM

238 posts, read 766,999 times
East Texas is pretty at this time of the year. All the pine trees are looking real green, just like in spring time. Longview's not too far from Lake O' The Pines. That's where I plan to take White Lightning this coming weekend (if it's not raining) and make a few splashes, and tear up those waters, baby!!!!

Word!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 05:20 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade_word View Post
East Texas is pretty at this time of the year. All the pine trees are looking real green, just like in spring time. Longview's not too far from Lake O' The Pines. That's where I plan to take White Lightning this coming weekend (if it's not raining) and make a few splashes, and tear up those waters, baby!!!!

Word!!!
One question, wade: What if it gets cold??

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhoney2 View Post
My husband just got an offer for an oil company and we will be located in Longview. *happy dance* This has been a year in the coming.

Once he gets thru the testing and pre-job stuff, he'll be starting in Feburary. The kids and I will follow probably after the school year ends.

So, our stats. We have 2 boys who will be 4 & 6 when we move. I wil be a SAHM. We are not religious in the least, but are respectful of others. We just don't want to be "saved". LOL We have 2 dogs, one is a Pitt Bull (will that be a problem?).

We are looking for the zip code with the better schools, obviously. I'm also interested in getting involved with the school and/or community. I'm also interested in mom's groups.

We are hoping for a good sized house on a lot of land, but nearby the town amentities (medical, shopping, things to do, etc). We have to be within a 1 hour drive to Longview.

Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, guidance on the community, where to live, things to do, good schools, etc? Any info you can give me will be helpful.

Thank you!!!!

I'm pulling for you. You'll love it in East Texas, no matter where you set up shop. You will love the pines and the atmosphere that will make you feel like you're getting away from the hustle and bustle, but with some amenities and down-home Texas goodness. Enjoy --- let us know how it's going!

Old 12-28-2008, 04:41 AM

4 posts, read 7,933 times
You should look into Hallsville for sure. I am from Hallsville and I think it is a great small town. Good shool and only a little less than a 10 minute drive to Longview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas