U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-03-2008, 09:46 AM

808 posts, read 2,254,454 times
Scotch - I believe that you are right about the 1939 game being played in College Station. I do know that the Aggies won the national championship that year.

Another question - why should it matter which school opened its doors first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-03-2008, 12:00 PM

12 posts, read 24,711 times
The search function of the message board I saw the program at is down, but I'll bring this thread back up when I find it.

The fact that Texas A&M opened in 1976 and Texas opened in 1883(both were authorized earlier), does not "matter" so much that it is history. A&M places more of an importance on history and traditions, which is a reason we get the "cult" label.

Other bits of history include that "Texas Fight" was just an uptempo version of a song A&M no longer uses, "Farmer's Fight"(there is still a different yell of the same name). The official fight song of the University of Texas at Austin and was written by Colonel Walter S. Hunnicutt in collaboration with James E. King, then director of the Marlin High School Band. Hunnicutt wrote "Texas Fight" in response to the song used by Texas A&M University. One of the Aggie songs then was Farmers Fight, which consisted of the words "Farmers Fight" sung to Taps, a song played at many military funerals. Impressed by the song, Hunnicutt figured he would write "Texas Fight" also sung to Taps, but making the song more march-like and having "Texas" throughout instead of "Farmers." In a letter written in 1952 by Colonel Hunnicutt, he says "I wrote 'Texas Fight'... in an attempt to counteract the songs and yells of the Texas Aggies, which were not too complimentary to our Student Body and some of which tended to ridicule 'The Eyes of Texas'. (from Wiki, but it has citations)

The Hex Rally was an attempt to counteract the spirit of Aggie Bonfire, and a few decades later, after a Longhorn bonfire failed to gain interest, the hex rally was brought back.

The Hook'em hand sign was in response to the older "Gig'em", the first hand sign of the SWC.

Doesn't matter, just history.

Unread 05-20-2012, 06:14 PM

12 posts, read 24,711 times
Just noticed my typo, The A. and M. College of Texas opened in 1876.

Unread 05-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Status: "Enjoying the cool weather before the inferno" (set 22 days ago)

876 posts, read 511,815 times
It took you three and a half years to notice a typo?

Unread 05-20-2012, 06:43 PM

290 posts, read 216,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
It took you three and a half years to notice a typo?
It took him so long to notice his typo that when he finally did, the game no longer existed.

Unread 05-20-2012, 07:33 PM

8,570 posts, read 4,154,792 times
Now they could wind up playing on New Year's Day, in Jerry World...

Big 12 powers up with SEC partnership

Unread 05-20-2012, 11:04 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,057,070 times
If the Ags couldn't compete in a Big 12 that was just OU and Texas most years, what makes you think they're going to end up in that bowl game when the SEC has four or five programs of that pedigree?

Not going to happen.

Unread 05-21-2012, 09:10 AM

8,570 posts, read 4,154,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
If the Ags couldn't compete in a Big 12 that was just OU and Texas most years, what makes you think they're going to end up in that bowl game when the SEC has four or five programs of that pedigree?

Not going to happen.
Uhhhhh, just simply reading....
Quote:
If one or both of the league champions are selected to play in the playoff, another team would be selected for the Big 12-SEC bowl showdown on Jan. 1.
You know.... at the link provided.

Unread 05-21-2012, 09:01 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,057,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Uhhhhh, just simply reading....

You know.... at the link provided.

You misunderstand me. I realize that, but I don't believe the Aggies will finish second or third in conference either. This bowl isn't looking for a middle of the pack team. A&M will be lucky to finish in the top five most years in the SEC. And, yes, I'm looking forward to the bloodbath.

Sorry to offend if you're an Aggie.

Unread 05-22-2012, 03:39 PM

1,049 posts, read 605,080 times
The Aggies will come crawling back in around 5 years, I'd bet my hat on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas