U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 07:56 PM

12 posts, read 69,993 times

Advertisements

Ive been told that there are a few areas in Abilene that are not bad but not the best. Im looking to move there (Yes I want to move) in about a year and im looking at buying property on the East side of Abilene on the outer side of the city Just North of were were I-20 and the HWY 20 loop connect On Elmdale Rd just before Co hwy 505 rd. Is this a good area??

Thanx for any info
Nathan
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:20 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,674,575 times
I'm having trouble figuring out the area you mean. What's around there? North and east near I-20 on the outskirts is rather industrial or maybe I'm totally wrong about the area to which you're referring.

There aren't many areas in Abilene that are truly bad. Some of the neighborhoods right downtown aren't the greatest but they've got an active neighborhood association that's working to improve the neighborhood, with some success.

I live north of I-20 on the outskirts of the city and LOVE it! It's so quiet and peaceful but just 10 minutes to town. The area along I-20 near the newest Walmart Supercenter is the new growth area. Lowe's built a big store and new hotels have been built, too.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:43 PM

The area that im lookin at is: if your going west on I-20 to Abilene right were I-20 and hwy 80 connect (the road there is called Elmdale Rd) if you go strait up North about a mile and 1/2 there is what looks like a lot of farm land. Its around Elmdale rd and hwy 505 rd. That is the area we are looking at. If that helps.

That is exactly what we are looking for! That country feel but close enought to things to do.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:46 PM

Ah, OK, so it isn't far from Highway 80! That's what I was thinking when I said it was rather industrial! Are there good subdivisions out there or are you going to buy some land and build on your own?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 PM

Gonna buy like 5 acres and build a few houses. my sister and her huby are gonna have a girl soon and my wife and i have 3 boys so we are all gonna move together and Grandma and grandpa want to follow to be close to the grand kids so we are moving as a family. My wifes father might move down in 3 or 4 years. He wants to retire before he moves.

I think the land was farm land before but now there are a few double wides on areas of the land

Old 11-24-2008, 09:02 PM

That sounds like a great plan!

Although I don't know exactly where you want to buy, I would check with planning and zoning if I were you. As I said, that area seems to be industrial and commercial and commercial growth seems to be heading out that way. You wouldn't want to build, only to find yourselves surrounded by industry and/or retail several years down the road.

As I said, I live north of the city off a Farm Road (can't remember the FM number) but it's Old Anson Road in town. It's quite rural and I guess if you continue on it you wind up in the small town of Anson. That would be a good area for you to look for land.

My IDEAL area if I had the money, LOL, would be around Buffalo Gap Road, between Abilene and Buffalo gap. The scenery is SPECTACULAR but I imagine it's a bit pricey.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:32 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,529,041 times
I think you'll be okay out there. There's not a lot of anything going on. You might want to be sure to check elevations and water run off. Abilene is in sort of a low ground and that's where the elevation while traveling west starts to drop. You might want to check out how much a water well is gonna set you back, too.

South of Abilene, in the Buffalo Gap area is what they call... Buffalo Gap. Ranchers from south Texas used to drive cattle up that way and there's a range of hills that crosses the area east to west, called the Callahan Divide. Separates the water shed between the Brazos and Colorado rivers. The Callahan Divide being the northern most border of what is part of the hill country. The ranchers found a gap thru the divide, through Buffalo Gap and on north. I knew an ol gal in Abilene, the mother of a friend. She was older than a typical mom and at the time I was about ten. She says she had seen that cattle drive down through what is now Fort Phantom Hill Lake. There's the ruins of an old cavalry fort at the northwest corner of that lake, Fort Phantom Hill. When I was a kid my older sister used to tell me there was a 'witch' of Fort Phantom Hill.
Quote:
One member of the garrison, Lieutenant Clinton W. Lear wrote a letter to his wife in Fort Wa****a that described it this way:

“When I say to you that we have a beautiful valley to look upon, I have said everything favorable that could be said of this place. We are camped in a grove of blackjack two or three hundred yards from the creek which is alt. Everybody is disgusted. Like the Dove after the Deluge, not one green sprig can we find to indicate this was ever intended by man to inhabit. Indeed I cannot imagine that God ever intended for white man to occupy such a barren waste.”
South of I-20, a bit east towards Clyde, are some ruins of what was Belle Plain College. Just a couple of buildings with stone walls remaining. A coupla stories high. And a bunch of wasps nests.

Last edited by WillysB; 11-24-2008 at 09:44 PM..

Old 11-24-2008, 09:46 PM

Well when i asked the relator i was told that the industrial and commercial areas were goin SE and that NE homes were goin up. and from what i was told there are already like 15 houses down and round the street/ area. Man that would suck if I got in the midle of a industrial and commercial area . Its just the only place that i have been able to find 4 land plots next to each other that are kinda cheep and out in the country. Can u guys kinda tell me about the last couple of years for weather. when I was there it was green around winter/spring didnt rain to much and was HOT in june -sept. still sound about right?

Thanx everyone

Old 11-24-2008, 09:55 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,529,041 times
Burnell, take a look at a google map of Abilene. There's a north/south street on the east side called Treadaway. From Treadaway east and probly between North 10th and South 11th, zoning is primarily industrial/commercial. Not that there's a lot going on but not a lot of residential. Now, up to the north is ACC hill (351 @ I20) and down to the south is Lytle Lake (36 @ 322), both good areas. But this is not where you're looking.

The reference to industrial/commercial is mostly inside the loop and some along I-20. The area you're looking at is sparsely populated.

And yeah, you got the weather right. The area you're looking at is most scrub brush, cactus and mesquite trees. But lots of fresh air.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 PM

Now can some one kinda tell me were the walmart is? The relator tried to tell me but i couldnt point it out on the map.

Thanx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas