Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 01:08 AM

71 posts, read 174,822 times

Advertisements

So I'm from California and just out of curiosity am wondering what people from Texas are in general, like, personality-wise? mentality? nice/inviting/fast-paced?

another thing is, i always hear the stereotypes (not saying i agree with them) about texas, but I'm very curious as to what their stereotypes of california, or the bay area is. no offense taken either way so lay it on me =]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 01:13 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
from what i remember, everything is for real. they like you or dont its all up front.
the apologetic white guy thing is unknown. no passive aggressive. just large and aggressive.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
I don't understand how anyone could answer such generalized questions and be correct. Texas, as well as the other states in the union, is made up of such a diverse people with each individual sporting his/her personality/attitude. I can't see how living in one place or another place could actually affect this to the extent that it would show. I probably should just keep my two cents out since I've never lived outside of Texas. I've read on these boards how friendly Texans are, but for the most part, everywhere I've been in other parts of the country, I've found people to be friendly and courteous with some exceptions (maybe they were having a bad day which happens to us all and did not pocess the inner strength to suppress it).

So, I will speak only for myself. I consider myself to be outgoing, friendly and courteous. Everyone says I never meet a stranger and will talk to a fence post. As far as attitude, I guess I'm just like everyone else, with an individual makeup and outlook on life. As far as myself, I have no patience with know-it-all people, whiners, weakminded, selfish people nor people with the follow the herd type mentality. If you're a straight up, on the level person, I can be friends with you. If you're a phoney, I have no use for you, life's too short. I have lots of friends and lots of aquaintances that are Texans (born and bred) and while some us of might be similar in some aspects, we all have our individual outlooks and this is from all Texans. I have friends/aquaintances from other areas of the country and it is no different. Heck, I have family members (immediate and otherwise) that we are as diferent as night and day.

As far as attitudes towards people from the Bay area of California, again it's based on the individual at hand. Now back a number of years ago, I use to think everyone in (or from) California was crazy, just one big state made up with a bunch of liberal, crazy people and of course, there's a couple more adjectives that I won't include here, with the exception of a few sane and 'normal' people. But, now I realize this seems to be prevalent over the entire contry, not confined to California. Of course, I still say any crazy a** fad or completely goofy law California passes, Texas will soon copycat. I've got to say, that irrates the cr*p out of me.

As I write this though, I am thinking maybe it can be answered in some fashion and if so, this would be my answer. I believe the true Texan retains the grit and can do spirit of his/her ancestors and that will reflect in their attitude/personality, and it doesn't take very long for those qualities to shine through and that is what makes other people like or dislike them.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:42 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
Texans are friendly, down-to-earth folks.
My impression of Californians-and yes I have been there before (in Hollywood/Beverly Hills/LA/San Diego/Miramar/Del Mar) is: superficial, liberal, plastic, fake, vain, rich, materialistic, snobby.

Last edited by NOTAM; 11-27-2008 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: add

Old 11-27-2008, 10:59 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
The United States of Mind - WSJ.com

Old 11-27-2008, 11:30 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
My impression of Californians-and yes I have been there before (in Hollywood/Beverly Hills/LA/San Diego/Miramar/Del Mar) is: superficial, liberal, plastic, fake, vain, rich, materialistic, snobby.
But I'm not. Is it because I've lived in Texas for 30 years? Actually, I was never one of the adjectives as you have described above and either are any of my friends who still live in CA. There are a great number of wonderful people there and a great number of which you speak as well.

And not all Texans are friendly and down-to-earth as is evident on some of these forums.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
I gotta admit when I first caught the title (Texas "mentality") my initial reaction was that this is is going to be another "slam Texas" thread. Some California/yankee just being provocative. Soooo, I hitched up my britches and stuck the figurative Bowie knife and cap n' ball Confederate 1861 model Army Colt in my belt and marched in to defend my native state!

But..I am often wrong and -- after reading the OP's statement and those subsequent -- it appears this may have been the case once again.

Anyway, it really is a good question and LoneStar? You made some great points. At the same time, I would like to add a couple of things to the very astute comments you made.

Actually, I do believe it is possible to generalize about a states' character and general outlook. If it weren't, then Texas would not be generally recognized as a state which could constitute its own region. Nor could any type regionalization be possible at all.

As may be though, the thing I find most facinating in the realm of regional studies is how a "quality/characteristic" can be perceived so differently from one to the next. For instance, say, what might be considered admirable frankness in the North, can be taken for (understandably in my partisan provincial opinion!) tacky rudeness down here. Even though the folks behave in exactly the same way....it is the cultural perception of their neighbors which makes the difference as to whether or not it is a negative or positive quality (if such terms can be used).

I need to go dig out an old cultural survey done on exactly this topic. The findings were something not many, North, South, East or Midwest, would disagree with. It really came down to, again, how subjective perceptions of one's own region and anothers, can vary so much. Most Texans/Southerners described themselves as, for instance, "friendly and hospitable." Most northerners even agreed. BUT...the difference came in when how such a quality was "ranked" on a scale of whether or not this really mattered in their scheme of value judgement.

Oh well, will post some excerpts from this very interesting study later. For now gotta git outta here and head over the the folks house for Thanksgiving dinner! All y'all have a good one!

Old 11-27-2008, 11:58 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
you are so right. and i am totally generalizing, stereotyping, and know that there are exceptions to everything. for instance, there is a South Texas poster here who is so hateful that he has threatened my life! Yes, a man, in Texas. they aint all gentlemen here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
But I'm not. Is it because I've lived in Texas for 30 years? Actually, I was never one of the adjectives as you have described above and either are any of my friends who still live in CA. There are a great number of wonderful people there and a great number of which you speak as well.

And not all Texans are friendly and down-to-earth as is evident on some of these forums.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:59 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Except when they say, "It's a Texas thang...you wouldn't understand."

Old 11-27-2008, 12:09 PM

779 posts, read 2,246,923 times
Quote:
A beautiful kind of mentality, indeed. That is what keeps me coming back to the Lone Star State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas