Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 03:46 PM

347 posts, read 464,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Western East Texas, Tyler, few snakes...
I have lived in Tyler for the largest portion of my life, and I have to agree with this. I have even been to Tyler State Park more times through the years than I can count, and in every season, and I can't think of too many times that I saw a snake there. Lots of turtles, lots of raccoons, but no snakes. Having said that, the last snake that I've ever seen was in Tyler near the train tracks right next to Stewart Middle School. It was a very hot June day when it happened.

By comparison: I've only been to Stephen F. Austin State Park near Sealy just one time in my life. I saw a snake while I was there.

One time I lived in a house in south central Arkansas. Only lived there maybe 9 months or so, saw a snake there. I've lived in this East Texas house since 2007, so far I've never seen one here. We get lots of spiders though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 05:23 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,124,706 times
Ive only seen like 2 snakes while I was growing up in Tyler. Only saw 1 in Marshall.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:14 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,916,702 times
Downtown Houston or Dallas is pretty snake free.........

Old 05-10-2015, 03:36 PM

15,435 posts, read 10,356,998 times
Weekend camping trip to Inks Lake State Park, most snakes I've ever seen. I eventually stopped counting, maybe it was mating season.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:53 AM

371 posts, read 538,524 times
I just went to Lake Houston Wilderness Park a couple of weekends ago. We ran into one water moccasin and 3 copperheads in just a matter of a couple miles of trails. I felt like I was starting to walk through a mine field because I kept seeing them on the actual trail. I was terrified for my dogs with me and it just ruined another day of trying to do anything that I enjoy to do. =(

Old 04-24-2016, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,483 times
Hawaii has no SNAKES!!! wish I was back there! Pcsing here is scary....we got our first rental home and it's been 3 weeks and a snake tried to get into our window as we were leaving the house!!!! We are in San Antonio/les Harrison & village briar street!!!!! It's a neighborhood area that you would not guess snakes roaming around.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:13 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
I've lived in the Tyler area for 25 years and I've only seen a few snakes. Two were when I lived out in the country (neither was venomous and both were small). Now we live in a neighborhood but right across from a creek. My husband saw one water moccasin across the road from our house near the creek, but I've only seen one small grass snake in our yard. I swear I keep seeing the same small snake in our yard though - he looks exactly the same (but then, he probably thinks all humans look the same) and I've seen him or his cousin about three times. He's tiny - he looks almost like an earthworm.

I like him. Maybe it's due to his presence that we never see any spiders around the house. Who knows?

Old 04-25-2016, 11:45 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,981,433 times
It's more of a rural vs. urban thing than an area of the state. The whole state will have them, with more being around lakes and water sources. You're best bet is in the middle of a large city, away from water sources!

Old 04-28-2016, 11:10 PM

21,389 posts, read 10,433,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
If you think Fort Worth has rattlesnakes, you'd love Sweetwater...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2OVCiu2pwQ
That must be the Rattlesnake Roundup they have every year. Why is that guy inside the pit with them? Can't he do just as well outside the pit?

My mom lived there for a few years, and we had to look outside to check that there were no snakes on the porch before opening the door. And that was just the snakes. They also had huge spiky lizards that were probably harmless but looked mean as hell, scorpions by the truckload, and even tarantulas. I just could never live there, though the people seemed nice. I'm from the Houston area, so there is nothing about Sweetwater that is similar to here. I did very much enjoy sitting on the patio at night (after checking for snakes ) and watching the wind turbines. It was very peaceful.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:15 PM

21,389 posts, read 10,433,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
I just went to Lake Houston Wilderness Park a couple of weekends ago. We ran into one water moccasin and 3 copperheads in just a matter of a couple miles of trails. I felt like I was starting to walk through a mine field because I kept seeing them on the actual trail. I was terrified for my dogs with me and it just ruined another day of trying to do anything that I enjoy to do. =(
And you probably weren't even worried about the alligators likely lurking in the water too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas