Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,495 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of moving to witchita falls tx in a year. We are moving from ma. Can anyone give me an idea of the living conditions there? Also are poisoness snakes more apt to live in certain areas of texas. Versus others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 09:45 AM

11,067 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Many snakes like water and woods/brush, and thrive in the east, south, and north.

So, the Panhandle or west Texas probably have the least numbers of snakes. Dryness tends to minimize much natural life, including vegetation, and prey and the predators.

Big cities tend to cut off conditions for snakes to thrive as well, but those aren't technically "regions".

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-20-2019 at 09:57 AM..

Old 03-27-2019, 05:05 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Many snakes like water and woods/brush, and thrive in the east, south, and north.

So, the Panhandle or west Texas probably have the least numbers of snakes. Dryness tends to minimize much natural life, including vegetation, and prey and the predators.

Big cities tend to cut off conditions for snakes to thrive as well, but those aren't technically "regions".
West Texas in my experience has quite a few snakes especially around Colorado City,Abilene, and Sweetwater.Dont know as much about the situation in the panhandle.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:24 PM

6 posts, read 11,994 times
I am at least a 7th generation Texan on my mother's side where the huge family all live/lived in West Texas and rattle snakes are terrible out west. I am in DFW. In fact my deceased aunt got bit on the thigh as a girl by a rattler. Water moccasin's are a problem in lakes around Texas, especially in East Texas. I think around larger cities you don't see the snakes like you do in the country areas or lake areas or in humid areas. I hate snakes too but not as much as I hate spiders and other crawly bugs, maybe that's because I've been in the major DFW cities all my life and haven't seen that many. Saw more in Ft Worth growing up (lived by a park and creek) but I think the sprawling concrete has changed the snake's environment and their habitat

Old 03-28-2019, 07:28 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,627 times
Gulf of Mexico

Old 03-29-2019, 08:07 AM

858 posts, read 680,223 times
What kind of snakes? The kind that slither on their belly and are sneaky and venomous or the reptile?

Old 03-30-2019, 08:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Red on black, pat his back.

Red on yellow, kill the fellow!

OK, not only do I live in East Texas, I live adjacent to a creek, and near Lake Palestine. THE HORROR!

We actually do find garden or grass snakes in our yard every year. They are small and harmless and I just leave them alone. Actually I tell them "thank you," and then I leave them alone.

We have seen a few bigger snakes in our yard, or across the street (the creek is across the street) over the years - maybe once a year. I have only seen one venomous snake - I think it was probably a water moccasin - and that was from a distance and he was moving fast so I don't really know where he went.

I have had largely outside dogs for decades here in Texas. Never had one get bitten.

When I had a tom cat, he would occasionally bring me dead garden snakes for presents and leave them at the back door for me to step on when I stepped outside. Bless his heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas