Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:37 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times

Advertisements

SPI sucks?! Nah, that's actually something McAllen has going for it.

teclog, the only thing I disagree with you about is how you have to put down every other Texas city to make McAllen seem better. Everyone knows those cities aren't perfect and every city has it's haters. I was going to say that McAllen is a pretty area with a lot of potential, but now I don't even want to elaborate on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,339 times
Yeeeaaahhh I don't see that happening. LOL

Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,229 times
Mc Allen isn't bad, it has some nice areas. It's a city of only 100K so I wouldn't mention it with the big guys. Laredo, Brownsville, Waco, those cities are more comprable.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 8,297 times
McAllen is an open sewer with illegals coming out if it!!! I know, I've lived here for 3 months and I'm Mexican. God forbid I die here, but at least it would put me out of my misery. Who knows...a cholo might shoot me! I probably wouldn't be able to thank him fast enough. Better yet, I might reverse illegally immigrate to Mexico. Anything is in better than here! Can anyone give me 10 pesos to catch the Turimex?

FREE ME!

Old 02-20-2010, 04:00 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWalmart View Post
McAllen is an open sewer with illegals coming out if it!!! I know, I've lived here for 3 months and I'm Mexican. God forbid I die here, but at least it would put me out of my misery. Who knows...a cholo might shoot me! I probably wouldn't be able to thank him fast enough. Better yet, I might reverse illegally immigrate to Mexico. Anything is in better than here! Can anyone give me 10 pesos to catch the Turimex?

FREE ME!
Lulz

Old 02-20-2010, 11:45 PM

9 posts, read 26,879 times
I went back to McAllen to visit...after being gone for five years.

Yes, McAllen is growing...but not in ways that is the best.

What I saw was the grasping of the American dream...in flash cars, huge McMansions with medicine and Medicare one of the largest income generating machines I've ever seen. It's wall to wall clinics and doctors and it was just a Frankenstein in the making.

The greatest pastimes in McAllen? There are two: shopping and eating...and then eating again to go shopping...again. Oh wait...there's going to the doctor, too.

Austin? Music, walking, biking, hiking, "green", recycling, veggie food, alternative everything, bookshops and a world-class University. People in Austin actually do something more than pile up the car to head for the mall to shop as a family outing. And exercise in Austin is a lot more than just waiting on the 26th of December to out-run everyone else at the sales at La Plaza Mall.

McAllen may grow economically...but it has a long way to go culturally and in sustainability. You won't be finding a "BookPeople" or Kerby Lane Restaurant or Whole Foods in McAllen anytime soon...not when you can have all you can eat at the "Big Beeforama Burrito Buffet" on every corner.

Sorry....I just get a bit upset at people who think that traffic and money make up a well-rounded community.

I was a native of Mac...but the old Mac that was lovely and friendly has been hijacked by blatant consumerism and extremely rude and pushy newcomers.

The sign of true wealth isn't more "stuff" it's living more simply and elegantly....but as usual, the Valley is about 20 years behind the times.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:28 PM

5 posts, read 10,100 times
Lol I read the earlier comments on racism against white vs dark hispanics, and it is true, I was called a n*** because of my dark skin by my own moderatly-skinned "friends". I remember those rude a** nationals, coming to shop or watch movies at our theaters, they were rude, messy and equally arrogant and racist. I lived in the Harlingen area back in my youth. I thought the valley was an up an coming place, but would be furstrated at how so many stores would come in, and yet me nor anybody I knew could afford to shop there. I mean I had an awesome job right? I worked at the local movie theater so I must make alot of money. NOPE WRONG. Once I realized the stagnant job situation was never going to improve, I decided to move to Houston and found a better economy, a better job that I was suited for-thanks to my education and street smarts. I was able to work at a job that allowed me to pay for all my needs, wants and most importantly college education. Anyone with a nice transfer-job can go live in south Texas, but as long as there is no job market for those at entry-level and those that offer huge advancement with simply having an AA or BA, when your children grow up they will end up simply moving back out and leaving you behind. I go back to the valley often to visit my mom, see how its changed but would still never go back there. All I see is the same crap, outlet and department stores, places to eat, more places to eat, and clinics. The only work-ethic there in the RGV is to your butt off and hopefully you marry a handsome rich man or woman or win the lottery. There is rampant drug use in the mid valley, which many succumb to. The only culture I knew of down there was of the Tex-mex culture and in hindsight I now see it as a view of ignorance. The failure to acclamate valleyites to other cultures, such as Greek, Vietnamese Middle Eastern and Afro-American cultures caused me to go into culture shock when I went into the service (before I moved to Houston).

Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,537 times
Who wants to be Austin? Its a place full of California-Wanna-Be's with a 'valley girl' attitude. YUCKO - I find McAllen and the entire region much more interesting having owned a business in the Valley since 2004, traveling back and forth and seeing the changes. its clear the entire region from Brownsville to Rio Grande City is positioned the same as Southern California was in the 1950's. No it's not Austin and it's Not Southern California - The Rio Grande Valley has it own unique Tropical South Texas Flavor and I think that Texas Difference will make for a very interesting evolution of the entire region.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:47 AM

3 posts, read 7,335 times
Mmm hum you said it girl. ^

Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt77008 View Post
Who wants to be Austin? Its a place full of California-Wanna-Be's with a 'valley girl' attitude. YUCKO - I find McAllen and the entire region much more interesting having owned a business in the Valley since 2004, traveling back and forth and seeing the changes. its clear the entire region from Brownsville to Rio Grande City is positioned the same as Southern California was in the 1950's. No it's not Austin and it's Not Southern California - The Rio Grande Valley has it own unique Tropical South Texas Flavor and I think that Texas Difference will make for a very interesting evolution of the entire region.
I want to be in Austin!!!!! What is it you don't like? Great food? Friendly people? Tons of free festivals? Best music scene in the USA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas