Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do some Southerners erroneously claim TX is part of the South?
Because they know their region lacks prestige and want to include TX to bring it up 6 15.79%
Jealousy of Texas' greater prestige makes Southerners vindictive and want to drag down TX with them 4 10.53%
Ignorance 11 28.95%
All of the above 17 44.74%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:29 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,622,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
There has to be something, nothing really comes to mind at the moment, I think it has more things in common with the south then the southwest.
Cool. I really want to hear from people from all regions outside of the South because we all think this is funny, sad, self deprecating BS. The Southwest is a sub-region of the West, TX isn't Midwestern, and for sure isn't Northeastern...but I feel the OP want to attach himself to it with all this culture, prestige, great food talk.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:57 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,534,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Cool. I really want to hear from people from all regions outside of the South because we all think this is funny, sad, self deprecating BS. The Southwest is a sub-region of the West, TX isn't Midwestern, and for sure isn't Northeastern...but I feel the OP want to attach himself to it with all this culture, prestige, great food talk.

I don't really think the OP wants to do anything but vent his natural hostilities against the South. He claims to be a Texan...but my guess is that Texas is just his stalking horse.

Oh well, all one really has to do is go back and look at the poll options presented as to ascertain motives and intent and mindset...

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-06-2008 at 09:49 PM..

Old 12-06-2008, 09:51 PM

5,543 posts, read 9,456,407 times
[quote=TexasReb;6451794]My friend and fellow Texan, I just wish that "Southwest" could be clarified. If there is ANY region more mecurical in definition than "The South", it is the "Southwest" LOL

Arkansas used to be a part of the old Southwest Conference. For good reason. At the time, Texas, Arkansas and even Louisiana (and Oklahoma when it became a state) were considered "SouthWest." However, it was meant to denote a western part of the South. A twin of the Southeast, not a totally seperate region.

When Arizona and New Mexico became states, they too became to be referred to as "Southwest." And the relationship to the South itself became "increasingly unclear"

Texas is Southwest as in "western South". New Mexico and Arizona are Southwest as in "southern West."

As always, spot on my good Friend.

How anyone from Texas (Is the OP from Texas...born and raised?) would think that Texas is not quintessentially part of the South is ludicrous. If Texas is not southern then there is absolutely no such thing as southern culture, not to mention all those Texas men putting their lives on the line for the Confederacy!

Old 12-06-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
=Bass&Catfish2008;6456128 A s always, spot on my good Friend.

How anyone from Texas (Is the OP from Texas...born and raised?) would think that Texas is not quintessentially part of the South is ludicrous. If Texas is not southern then there is absolutely no such thing as southern culture, not to mention all those Texas men putting their lives on the line for the Confederacy!
Thanks buddy! (and we GOTTA meet sometime for that catfish dinner!)

What I really wish though is that this guy's (TXguy) threads would just get knocked off by something akin to the annual Darwin Awards. That is, self destruct by way of its own content...

The only thing I am surprised by is that he didn't bring "gay rights" into it...

Anyway, whether or not Texas is part of the South is just an opinion on the part of Texans who have an opinion on the subject. Just as whether or not Arkansas is. Or Virginia. Or Kentucky. Or Florida. Or even Louisiana and Tennessee...

I have my own outlook and think I can back it up as to it being Southern. Others feel different, and that is fine too. It has been done to death and in the end, those of us who have intelligent opinions on the subject share, then agree to disagree.

Bottom line is I just hope this thread/poll is seen for what it is (and removed from the General U.S.). Just an attempt to stir up trouble. The lunacy of it is obvious in the "choices" given. Geez. Even my fellow Texans who do NOT see Texas as Southern might agree with me on this one.

Again, thanks B&C. You are a good man!

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-06-2008 at 10:39 PM..

Old 12-06-2008, 10:32 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,889,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Does TX have anything in common with the Southwest (what's your opinion)? This poll was something else I think. No offense to my TX people on here but TX would get murdered in the one up category if this was TX vs The South in everything so why even go there (to TXguy2009). I just want to say that I was making a point and not dissing TX or it's people.
*shakes head and walks out of room.....

....to pick up a glass of milk*

Old 12-06-2008, 10:44 PM

Not many times will I do this, but I would like to ask a Moderator if this whole thread can be be deleted?

All it does it stir up trouble, and the choices given in the so-called "poll" seem to be proof positive. Just MHO, but I think a few others might agree...?

Old 12-06-2008, 11:22 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,216,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Yes, we want to emulate a third-world earthquake prone mudsliding state constantly on fire and filled with millions of poors draining the state's already failing economy.
Oh give me a break, can you talk good about Texas without trashing someplace else? Jeez.

I'm a native Californian and very proud to be, but I bet Texas is a great state as well. Why so much hate??

Old 12-06-2008, 11:26 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,169,949 times
true deep south. hmmm texas is pretty down south.
just checked the map. fought for the confederates.
that does not work? florida looks bout south as you can get
but they dont do the grits thing just 20 ft snakes and alligators.
does that count?

Old 12-07-2008, 06:37 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,019,414 times
Have y'all noticed that this texas guy starts these hateful threads, gets people riled up, and then doesn't say anything? He's a troll, nothing more.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:07 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,245,177 times
A Southerner is, and a Southerner know he is...

And, as you know, TexReb, I'm a Texan through and through, from East Texas, even, and I don't consider myself to be a Southerner, I consider myself to be a Texan.

The poll is flawed in the choices given, as your statement that most Texans consider themselves to be Southerners is flawed. Both are based on your own particular biases.

Texas is not part of the South just because it happens to be contiguous to Louisiana, or because some of the people that went into making it up happened to come from, or through, the South. (And I include most, but not all, of my own ancestors there), or because some of us (but not most by far) want to consider it part of the South. I actually have come to the conclusion that Texas, in and of itself, is a region (given that it's large enough and varied enough, geographically, to be five very different states).

So why not solve it that way? Make "Texas" a region much like Northeast, South, Southwest, Midwest, Northwest. Then we can discuss all the different cultures and peoples that went into the making up of the state, rather than claiming that it's South, Southwest, or Midwest, none of which are entirely accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas