Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 08:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Dallas and Houston are practically surburbs compared to cities up north, but does that make them not urban??? Waco is as urban as Houston and Dallas was when they were its size.
Dallas & Houston compromise two of the top 10 largest metros in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 08:54 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Sorry but I live in Waco and it is not country. People from up north consider Dallas and Houston country. You guys think you know it all but I've lived there my whole life and know much more than you both. Dallas and Houston are practically surburbs compared to cities up north, but does that make them not urban??? Waco is as urban as Houston and Dallas was when they were its size.
I lived up north and currently live in a city that many consider the North now. Nobody I know of thinks Houston and Dallas is country whatsoever. Nobody in Chicago thought that and nobody in Washington DC thought this. They do think the city is suburban in nature (they do not consider those cities suburbs by the way). But they do know that it is not Country. Also, I do not think I know it all. But I do know from experience and I've experienced Waco and all of central Texas. And your last line has no relevance to what they are as municipalities now. Besides, 75-100 years ago, many of the old Midwestern and Northeastern cities would consider Houston and Dallas as country.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:59 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Those plans are already into affect. Construction has begun.
Construction has begun on WHAT? None of the stuff you said! The only thing being constructed downtown is the new student housing next to the Courtyard Marriot, the Austin Avenue Flats and the old Roosevelt Hotel (St Regis). They have finished the Chamber of Commerce building, Austins on the Avenue (cool bar btw), SI COCINA, and a few shops. The Waco Convention Center renovation starts early 2009 as does the cental library renovation, but as far as new hotels, domed stadium, marina and the other stuff......MERELY VISIONS........Developer shows off vision of Waco in 2015 (http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/11/19/11192008waccouncilsheldon.html - broken link)

Old 12-13-2008, 09:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Construction has begun on WHAT? None of the stuff you said! The only thing being constructed downtown is the new student housing next to the Courtyard Marriot, the Austin Avenue Flats and the old Roosevelt Hotel (St Regis). They have finished the Chamber of Commerce building, Austins on the Avenue (cool bar btw), SI COCINA, and a few shops. The Waco Convention Center renovation starts early 2009 as does the cental library renovation, but as far as new hotels, domed stadium, marina and the other stuff......MERELY VISIONS........Developer shows off vision of Waco in 2015 (http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/11/19/11192008waccouncilsheldon.html - broken link)
Seems you haven't been around long enough. They already broke ground on the first hotel and also doing renovations to the riverwalk as we speak.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I lived up north and currently live in a city that many consider the North now. Nobody I know of thinks Houston and Dallas is country whatsoever. Nobody in Chicago thought that and nobody in Washington DC thought this. They do think the city is suburban in nature (they do not consider those cities suburbs by the way). But they do know that it is not Country. Also, I do not think I know it all. But I do know from experience and I've experienced Waco and all of central Texas. And your last line has no relevance to what they are as municipalities now. Besides, 75-100 years ago, many of the old Midwestern and Northeastern cities would consider Houston and Dallas as country.
My roommate is from Washington D.C. and I've actually been there. I've heard differently.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Springfield MO, Des Moines IA, Anchorage AK, Lincoln NE, Omaha NE,

Old 12-13-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Seems you haven't been around long enough. They already broke ground on the first hotel and also doing renovations to the riverwalk as we speak.

Excuse me? Havent been here long enough? I have been around this city off and on since 1972....moved back in September. And I thought you lived in Houston? BTW I was downtown just yesterday and I havent seen any hotel or riverwalk construction. Why dont you provide me with an address to this "hotel", and area of construction on the riverwalk, and I'll go take a look for myself, then I'll come back here with my input. Can you do that?
When you say hotel, is it a full service hotel like the Hilton or is it some rinky dink budget inn? And the construction on the riverwalk? Its probably routine maintenance the City of Waco does on it to paint over graffiti and vandalism the hoodlums from East Waco leave.

When there is a hotel that matches or exceeds the Hilton, under construction, then anything else is gonna be laughable at best.
And when the Riverwalk extends from La Salle Avenue to Lake Waco, ON BOTH SIDES, then you might have a valid point. Until then you are just trying to "fluff up" reality, and most people reading this that know Waco, know that.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Excuse me? Havent been here long enough? I have been around this city off and on since 1972....moved back in September. And I thought you lived in Houston? BTW I was downtown just yesterday and I havent seen any hotel or riverwalk construction. Why dont you provide me with an address to this "hotel", and area of construction on the riverwalk, and I'll go take a look for myself, then I'll come back here with my input. Can you do that?
When you say hotel, is it a full service hotel like the Hilton or is it some rinky dink budget inn? And the construction on the riverwalk? Its probably routine maintenance the City of Waco does on it to paint over graffiti and vandalism the hoodlums from East Waco leave.

When there is a hotel that matches or exceeds the Hilton, under construction, then anything else is gonna be laughable at best.
And when the Riverwalk extends from La Salle Avenue to Lake Waco, ON BOTH SIDES, then you might have a valid point. Until then you are just trying to "fluff up" reality, and most people reading this that know Waco, know that.
I'm in town for Christmas and it is either a Hotel Indigo or I think Candle suites??? something along those lines by the Salvation Army place. I didn't know it took destroying a whole parking lot to clean up graffic or vandalism....

I have no reason to lie about what I've seen. I don't fluff up reality it is just you guys who have to doubt every god damn thing that goes on around this town and that is why nothing never gets built around here.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I'm in town for Christmas and it is either a Hotel Indigo or I think Candle suites??? something along those lines by the Salvation Army place. I didn't know it took destroying a whole parking lot to clean up graffic or vandalism....

I have no reason to lie about what I've seen. I don't fluff up reality it is just you guys who have to doubt every god damn thing that goes on around this town and that is why nothing never gets built around here.

Actually jluke, the Hotel Indigo is still up in the air, I read it somewhere in the trib about the same time as the Vision article came out. I'll look for it. I heard about a Candlewood Suites, but I believe that is being built out by the new Hillcrest Hospital, but I may be wrong. The only other constuction I know of, cause I just remembered, is they tore down the old HOTCOG building at 4th and Franklin and Wells Fargo is moving into a NEW building. Don't get me wrong man, I want Waco to become something kool!! But until we make some progress on these "visions", we are still going to be looked upon as a "country town". And I have lived long enough in this city to see too many pipe dreams come and go.......for example, the Austin Avenue Mall, Brazos Commons, Texas Country USA, and the Saturn Plant among others.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Actually jluke, the Hotel Indigo is still up in the air, I read it somewhere in the trib about the same time as the Vision article came out. I'll look for it. I heard about a Candlewood Suites, but I believe that is being built out by the new Hillcrest Hospital, but I may be wrong. The only other constuction I know of, cause I just remembered, is they tore down the old HOTCOG building at 4th and Franklin and Wells Fargo is moving into a NEW building. Don't get me wrong man, I want Waco to become something kool!! But until we make some progress on these "visions", we are still going to be looked upon as a "country town". And I have lived long enough in this city to see too many pipe dreams come and go.......for example, the Austin Avenue Mall, Brazos Commons, Texas Country USA, and the Saturn Plant among others.
I feel like this projet just may go through. I mean look at what is happening downtown, it has so much potential and developers are now noticing it. With the River Square Area and all the clubs and resturantes around there. This project has a good chance of pssing.

This was just posted today in the newspaper http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/12/14/12142008wacstreetcar.html (broken link)

Also the Hotel Indigo: http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/12/14/12142008wacBizColumn.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas