U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-28-2007, 10:30 PM

18 posts, read 56,088 times
Default San Angelo?

Tell me about San Angelo?
I plan to visit West Texas in a couple of weeks and am anxious for any info you can share with me.....nice hotels, convenient shopping, and restaurants, etc.
How far is Colorado City and Snyder from San Angelo?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 11:48 PM

47 posts, read 227,603 times
I don't know much about San Angelo. It's only an 80-90 minute drive from Abilene, where I live. I'd estimate that it's about 90-120 minutes to Colorado City and at least 2 hours to Snyder if not longer.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:41 AM

1,883 posts, read 1,401,615 times
Colorado City is 75 miles,Snyder 100 miles,so a little over an hour,and 1 1/2 hrs. respectively.

Most of the newer motels are on the Houston Harte Expressway ,Loop 306,and Knickerbocker.Many of them have been built in the last 5 years.

We have most of the usual ones,Outback,Chili's etc.For local ones,steak: Zentners,Zentners Daughter,Lowake (which is actually 30 miles out in the country),Silo House,Twin Mountain,Western Sky.Mexican:Chilangos,Henry's,Hidalgos,Fuentes,and about 50 others.

Last edited by lifertexan; 03-02-2007 at 07:01 AM..

Old 03-07-2007, 10:32 AM

So, which airport would you recommend flying to...Abilene, Midland, or San Angelo? I would then rent a car and drive to Colorado City.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:17 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,401,615 times
Midland has the biggest airport, and a better selection of flights. Then you are on the interstate all the way to C City,for whatever reason anyone would go there (I used to live there).

Old 03-07-2007, 10:04 PM

79 posts, read 258,774 times
You can fly into Midland on Southwest Airlines. Rent your car, prowl around Midland a bit, have lunch, and then drive to San Angelo. The drive from Midland to Sterling City will give you a taste of Texas' open spaces. San Angelo has an attractive downtown, nice art museum, university, etc. Many homes along the river are especially attractive. I like the little town of Christoval. Outside of Christoval is the Mount Carmel Hermitage http://www.texnews.com/1998/religion/monks0620.html "Once the brothers learn a specific task like making whole wheat bread or chocolate fudge, they work in silence. The fruits of their contemplative labor are sold at a small gift shop just inside the main entrance. There, visitors may also select from apple, grape and jalepeno wine jelly or honey."

When you travel from San Angelo, consider driving to Sterling City and then taking Hwy 158 approximately 1/2 of the way to Ballinger, Texas. map: http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?na...resize=l&trf=0 Take Hwy 2059 to Silver, Texas and then take Hwy 208 into Colorado City, Texas. Sterling City to Colorado City along this route is scenic. The roads are mainly 2 lane as I remember, and from Sterling City to Colorado City there is basically nothing. Keep this in mind. Another route is to go through Sterling City and then take Hwy 163 to Colorado City. Again, Hwy 163 is a 2 laner road as I remember. If you prefer 4 lanes, drive from San Angelo to Big Spring, and then take Interstate 20 to Colorado City. What you are going to do in Colorado City and Snyder [Gold-plated DeLorean automobile in a Snyder bank]?

Old 03-22-2007, 12:52 PM

8 posts, read 48,823 times
Smile Franco's

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Colorado City is 75 miles,Snyder 100 miles,so a little over an hour,and 1 1/2 hrs. respectively.

Most of the newer motels are on the Houston Harte Expressway ,Loop 306,and Knickerbocker.Many of them have been built in the last 5 years.

We have most of the usual ones,Outback,Chili's etc.For local ones,steak: Zentners,Zentners Daughter,Lowake (which is actually 30 miles out in the country),Silo House,Twin Mountain,Western Sky.Mexican:Chilangos,Henry's,Hidalgos,Fuentes,and about 50 others.
Don't forget Franco's small hole in the wall place but great food

Old 03-23-2007, 10:44 AM

Thanks for all the replies and great info.

Everybody asks me WHY are you going to Colorado City and Snyder. My family is originally from Scurry County, TX and I've always had a desire to see where they came from. Crazy as it might sound...."my heart has always been in the West."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas