Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:20 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Hey, what if this is all about culture?

I say people on the coasts and up northeast are rude and stand-offish. They say, "No, we're really nice people, and you are misinterpreting our culture."

Similarly, maybe people from Texas just like to talk and be effusive about the things they love, and people up north say, "Oh, youse guys are just a bunch of annoying braggarts!"

Could be as simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 11:22 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
because it is too easy!

personally, i have nothing against texas or houston but the houston people seem desperate to associate themselves with newyork,la, and chicago so people pick up on that and pick on them for it. plus, texans have always had this overinflated view of themselves, so they're easy pickins. you know...

"I'm from Texas. I'm Bigger than Big, Rah Rah Rah."
Sorry, but people from ATL are guilty of this as well. We won't never rise up from where we are if we keep doubting ourselves. Saying things like "ATL is great, but it will never be Philly or Chicago.....we could never compare to those cities". People from the south constantly lower us as if were nothing. Atlanta is big in transportation and soon to become the next Hollywood. Houston is big in energy and rivals city in the north when it comes to diversity and importance. We overlook these things and go straight to the negatives. Atlanta is the fastest growing city in america and I doubt the thousands of people that commute there do it because it's cheap and for jobs.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Although I i like Texas there are very homophobic there Vs here in Atlanta where its is highly accepted
Texas vs. Atlanta???? You must've forgot that Georgia as a whole is more racist and close-minded than Texas. Houston,Dal,AUS,and SA accept homosexuality. I guess all those pride parades and parties mean nothing????

Old 12-12-2008, 11:26 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What are you babbling about? Dallas is one of the top places to live for gay people, as per the gays themselves!

Huge gay populations in Houston and Austin and Denton, too.
exactly. texas IS a Gay state.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Not like Atlanta is 3rd in country in terms of gay population my friend gay community in atlanta is much larger than houston and dallas put together.
Houston and Dallas have more gays than Atlanta in raw numbers and the gays are concentrated to one area. Atlanta just has a Higher percentage. Texas even has more homosexuals than NY!

Old 12-12-2008, 11:31 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston and Dallas have more gays than Atlanta in raw numbers and the gays are concentrated to one area. Atlanta just has a Higher percentage. Texas even has more homosexuals than NY!
Forget it, there are too many ignorant people on this forum

Maybe if we renamed the George Bush intercontinental airport the Jimmy carter Intercontinental the liberals would like us!

Old 12-12-2008, 11:37 AM

327 posts, read 1,050,407 times
lets just all agree that South Dakota is the best place in the world

Old 12-12-2008, 11:52 AM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's true. I was in Hawaii, and I met some folks from Maryland/Mass. I told them that I was from Texas, and immediately they started talking about why Texas sucks. I don't even know what brought it on. They went on and on about racism and prejudice against gays, yadda yadda...and they had never even been to Texas! Not to mention, they were seriously and severely misinformed as to the daily lives of many minorities...ridiculous. I mean, what do I know? Only lived here for 20 years.

This has happened several times...you just say, "Texas," and you instantly get either some happy, "Oh, that's cool!" or you get, "What a bleeping bleeping cesspool of bleeping bleep! Oh, and I've never been there or was there for all of 5 seconds."
Mostly from northeasterners, which is ironic, b/c I have always found that part of the country rude, crowded, and depressing, but I don't take it upon myself to tell that to every (or any) person I meet from there.

That being said, we pretty much were offered a free house (and a nice, custom-built one, too - inside the loop) if we moved to Houston, and even that isn't enticement enough.
So true. I have relatives in RI and Mass. and though they are well educated, they are amazingly ignorant about what the rest of the U.S. is like outside of New England.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,383 times
It also depends on where your from. If your from NY or Chicago your prob not going to be impressed by Houston. If your from Boise, Idaho you might find it to be exciting. Houston has its positives but I just dont like it personally.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:15 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
I lived in Houston for a couple of years. I hated it so bad I walked away from a decent job just to get out. But, I don't care for big cities at all. Or months on end of heat. Or humidity. Or flat terrain. Or horrible traffic. Or horrible taxes. Or horrible weather. Or too many people and crowds.

But to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas