Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"There are pockets of African Americans, Asians, and Mexicans all throughout San Francisco. San Fran is extremely diverse."

It if is so diverse, why are they divided off in to "pockets"? Does segregation ring a bell to you?

I guess you are saying San Francisco is segregated!
That is absurd interpretation of what he said.

San Francisco is wayyy more diverse than any city in Texas can ever hope to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
How about you ask people who are from CA and been/lived in Texas, which state is more segregated and see what answer you get. You just shooting out the mouth, but wrong about everything your saying. Your comparing Texas to states where there is still a strong animosity between Blacks and Hispanics. It's areas in LA where BLACKS can't even cross the street or they will be SHOT by Mexicans, and vice versa.
Alright ask me. I grew up in LA and I live in Dallas and have worked extenively throughout Houston and Dallas.

Without a doubt, Texas is more segregated.

One thing I will say is that there is little difference in race relations here than there. Your example about Blacks and Hispanics is a GROSS exageration. When I was growing up I did lots and lots of voulenteer work in Watts, Compton, Boyle Heights, Huntington Park, and other black and hispanic neighborhoods through out LA. Blacks and Latinos get along pretty much the same there that they do anywhere else.

The only remaining racial animosity that I saw in LA was from the Koreans directed at the blacks for the destruction of Koreatown during the Rodney King riots.

Now dont get this twisted, I LOVE Texas. But Im not going to let you guys trash my hometown to let yours look good.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:36 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
That is absurd interpretation of what he said.

Not according to C-D. Mission Bend is number 54 on this diversity list while South San Francisco is number 56. San Francisco proper doesn't even break the top 100. Not trying to bust your chops, but I'm just sayin'... your info is bad.

(Cue the whole "Having Mexicans isn't diversity" piece.)

http://www.city-data.com/top35.html

Last edited by TexasTheKid; 08-07-2009 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Forgot to include the link

Old 08-07-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Not according to C-D. Mission Bend is number 54 on this diversity list while South San Francisco is number 56. San Francisco proper doesn't even break the top 100. Not trying to bust your chops, but I'm just sayin'... your info is bad.

(Cue the whole "Having Mexicans isn't diversity" piece.)

http://www.city-data.com/top35.html
Youre comparing one of the most major cities in the world with a suburb. Bad comparrison.

On top of which, notice how many more cities there are in California on that list.

It also seems Dallas is the most diverse major city in Texas. I had always heard Houston was.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Youre comparing one of the most major cities in the world with a suburb. Bad comparrison.

On top of which, notice how many more cities there are in California on that list.

It also seems Dallas is the most diverse major city in Texas. I had always heard Houston was.
I wasn't really comparing anything. I was just responding to this tidbit of hyperbole:
Quote:
I have no trouble admitting California has a ton of diversity, but it appears that San Francisco is not wayyy more diverse than any city in Texas can ever hope to be. And with the Dallas thing, that's the city proper and doesn't include the 'burbs. Houston's numbers will reflect the inclusion of many 'burbs that are in the city limits. Need I profile the typical person in the suburban demographic for you?

Old 08-07-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
And with the Dallas thing, that's the city proper and doesn't include the 'burbs. Houston's numbers will reflect the inclusion of many 'burbs that are in the city limits. Need I profile the typical person in the suburban demographic for you?
Not really, because Dallas has alot of subrubs that are very diverse as does Houston. Statistically, its hard to say one is really that much more diverse than the other. The DFW MSA is about 18% foreign born and Houston is about 20%. Honestly in terms of diversity, they probably have more in common than anything else.

But back to the topic. Ill stick to my guns that the reason that Texas is bashed so much is because alot of Texans are very arrogant about their state.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Not really, because Dallas has alot of subrubs that are very diverse as does Houston. Statistically, its hard to say one is really that much more diverse than the other. The DFW MSA is about 18% foreign born and Houston is about 20%. Honestly in terms of diversity, they probably have more in common than anything else.
I agree the two cities' metros are virtually identical in terms of size and racial mixing. However, I was saying for the purposes of that list which showed Dallas as being more diverse than Houston, the city proper is smaller and more urban than Houston. The 'burbs are where the white folks tend to congregate, and considering Houston's limits include a great many suburban areas, Houston proper will superficially appear less diverse. That's all.

Quote:
But back to the topic. Ill stick to my guns that the reason that Texas is bashed so much is because alot of Texans are very arrogant about their state.
Texans arrogant? When I was a kid, I remember my dad had a book that was basically a primary for Texan bragging rights. It was written largely in a tongue-in-cheek manner which I think reflects most Texans' true levels of arrogance. We may think highly of ourselves and our state, but we tend to tinge our conceits with humor.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I agree the two cities' metros are virtually identical in terms of size and racial mixing. However, I was saying for the purposes of that list which showed Dallas as being more diverse than Houston, the city proper is smaller and more urban than Houston. The 'burbs are where the white folks tend to congregate, and considering Houston's limits include a great many suburban areas, Houston proper will superficially appear less diverse. That's all.
Yeah, for city measurements, I always refer to MSA stats because its captures the entire picture of the area. City only measurements squew things too much in favor of one thing or another.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Yet another Houston-bashing article from some magazine.
The Chronicle is all over it -- Stop hating on Houston | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

The article says, “here's the thing: You're congested, sprawly, hot..." in reference to Houston. Yet, they do the exact opposite for Austin by putting it as #4 on their "good" list and singing all the praises.

Let's see... last time I checked, while living in Austin, it was HOT, it was congested, and there was plenty of sprawl (Round Rock, Cedar Park/Leander, etc.) This is the kind of stuff that ticks me off with these magazines. If their claims were actually valid, it would be one thing. Instead, they're completely misleading.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
[quote=Cupcake77;10139555]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post

I disagree, My mom and Dad drove through Texas to check it out and when my Mom came back to the house she was laughing. She said they got lost and ran into a guy with a strong accent who was wearing a shiney cowboy shirt, boots, cowboy hat the whole works.

So I don't think you can blame the media for the stereotypes
Well, let's see, I've been known to wear boots (but not "cowboy boots"). When I was riding a horse or mucking out a stall and tennis shoes or whatever just didn't cut it. (Wear tennis shoes around a horse and have them step on your toes once and limp for a couple of weeks and you'll learn that there's a reason for boots.) However, I went some 40 years as as native Texan before I ever wore anything but fashion boots.

Don't know anybody who wears cowboy shirts, pretty much never have. Do know people who wear straw "cowboy hats", usually when they're working out in the sun on the tractor and it's the most practical thing to wear.

One wonders where on earth your mother was that she was driving "through Texas to check it out" (how many days was she gone?) that that was what she noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas