Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 04:29 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yes, but if you work downtown then there is no need to drive two hours.

and I disagree about not enjoying downtown. I enjoy it a lot. Maybe it is just not your thing but a lot of people do enjoy it.
My then-husband was (is) a higher up for a corporation located SE. He had an offer from Exxon, but declined. He refused to travel two hours back and forth to work. It wastes gas. So, it totally blew for me. SE Houston was a nightmarish little place. OMG, awful.

All of my family and friends live downtown. They didn't come to see us, and we rarely saw them, even though we lived in the same city. It was just too far of a haul. But to be fair, I no longer see friends who moved to Round Rock for the same reason. I will, but only if I'm on my way out of town and happen to be passing through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
OmShahi said it better than I could, but I bolded this part in your post. Have you not heard of the Menil Collection? Houston trumps Austin in the art galleries department, and it isn't even close. And you mentioned traffic...Austin has HORRIBLE traffic, especially on its freeways because it's horrible planned.
Sure, I go to the Menil almost every time I'm in Houston. I go to the big science museum, too, but less frequently, as one ticket price could cover my electricity bill for two months. But once you've seen these museums, there's no reason to go back to see them over and over until there's something new to see.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:40 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
My then-husband was (is) a higher up for a corporation located SE. He had an offer from Exxon, but declined. He refused to travel two hours back and forth to work. It wastes gas. So, it totally blew for me. SE Houston was a nightmarish little place. OMG, awful.
where on earth in the south east did you live. can't imagine anywhere in the southeast that takes two hours to downtown.

30 minutes if you know the routes to take

I know that not many buses head southeast so by bus it may take two hours but definately not driving

Old 07-06-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Sure, I go to the Menil almost every time I'm in Houston. I go to the big science museum, too, but less frequently, as one ticket price could cover my electricity bill for two months. But once you've seen these museums, there's no reason to go back to see them over and over until there's something new to see.
lol, I love your exaggerations Mel.

The museum of natural science is free, and their special exhibits cost about 5 bucks

Old 07-06-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
where on earth in the south east did you live. can't imagine anywhere in the southeast that takes two hours to downtown.

30 minutes if you know the routes to take

I know that not many buses head southeast so by bus it may take two hours but definately not driving
Yup, bus. I don't drive on the highway (off-road only license), so there were very few places that were accessible. I don't see how people live in Houston without a car, but I'm sure some do.

I use my car maybe once a week and spend less than $10 a month on gas. The only time I drive is to go to doctor's visits, and I really don't even need it for that, because we have the light rail, trolley, bus, etc., which are just as efficient. Everything is within walking or biking distance. It's a huge money-saver.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:

The museum of natural science is free, and their special exhibits cost about 5 bucks
My last venture to the Natural Science Museum set me back $79 for full access to the museum.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:16 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
I know, I especially love the 2 hours drive from southeast Houston to downtown one. That one should be nominated for one of CD's most outlandish claims award of 2010! That just goes to show that people are running out of bad things to say about Houston.

Melissa78703 is officially disqualified from posting anything about Houston. It's obvious she never lived here. She's trying to put Austin up there with it for goodness sake!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Why Are People ALWAYS Bashing Texas & Houston?

'Cause Texas and Houston are always the cool cultures on campus.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Yup, bus. I don't drive on the highway (off-road only license), so there were very few places that were accessible. I don't see how people live in Houston without a car, but I'm sure some do.

I use my car maybe once a week and spend less than $10 a month on gas. The only time I drive is to go to doctor's visits, and I really don't even need it for that, because we have the light rail, trolley, bus, etc., which are just as efficient. Everything is within walking or biking distance. It's a huge money-saver.
Ah, that explains it then.

The east is horrible for transportation. If you lived in the central or south west, west or northwest then you would not have had a problem

Old 07-06-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
My last venture to the Natural Science Museum set me back $79 for full access to the museum.
79 bucks gives you a years membership along with some cool freebies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas