Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many guns do you have?
No guns 46 29.49%
1 Gun 19 12.18%
2 Guns 9 5.77%
3 guns or more 82 52.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:18 AM

1,227 posts, read 3,002,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Careful what you post on here about how many firearms you have, big brother may be watching. Remember back in 93, the government tried to take some guns from a fella close to town here (granted some WERE illegal), and look what happened!
I think if our wonderful government tries to take any guns from folks, we'll see something like that more often!
Not too worried about "Big Brother", thanks though. I have a US Congressman Uncle, and am an official...lol. Thanks for the heads up though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 02:43 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,688,878 times
I have an idea

Those of us with more than let's say 4 guns sell the guns we don't "need" to get us to this PRETEND government limit. This will keep those that are NOT for people owning more than 4 guns happy. BUT, here is the catch. When an individual sells their guns to other individuals we are not required to notify anyone that we have sold such guns or to ask for their license. Even if we were required to do such what that individual does w/ it after it leaves our hands is up to them. They could pass it on to a friend or relative or sell it themselves. All without registering it IF they are not upstanding citizens that abide by the law like MOST gun owners now are. This puts MORE GUNS in the hands of MORE PEOPLE! Hmm, not such a bad deal afterall, maybe. Then again most of those people w/ newly acquired guns may not be as responsible.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:15 PM

240 posts, read 535,458 times
After reading his posts, I think it's possible Getmeoutofhere, is most likely a convicted felon who cannot legally own firearms, ammunition, or be around them, and he does not want anyone to enjoy collecting something he can no longer handle or use.

His online name here is probably proof he has spent time incarcerated; a lot of felon in prisons are always telling there attorneys and family to, "Get me out of here!" His writing style here is extremely similar to most "Jail House Lawyers" I've read in their court filings!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:07 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,356,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawdog View Post
After reading his posts, I think it's possible Getmeoutofhere, is most likely a convicted felon who cannot legally own firearms, ammunition, or be around them, and he does not want anyone to enjoy collecting something he can no longer handle or use.

His online name here is probably proof he has spent time incarcerated; a lot of felon in prisons are always telling there attorneys and family to, "Get me out of here!" His writing style here is extremely similar to most "Jail House Lawyers" I've read in their court filings!

That seriously made me laugh. I enjoy that actually taking the extra 3 seconds to make a post readable and somewhat grammatically correct is indicative of being a convicted felon.

I think I will start a list. My name is now indicative of:

1) Being a troll.
2) Being a convicted felon.

Come on, who has something better than that? Anyone?

And how do you know I don't own a gun?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:37 AM

245 posts, read 694,790 times
OK, going to take a stab at this again. Let's gloss over a few points here. getmeoutofhere has an issue, not with firearm ownership but with large stockpiles of firearms. GMOOH believes a national registration would be benefical to reveal someone potentially up to no good. Am I right so far?

Now, being I enjoy many types of shooting, I may fall into the catagory of "having too many guns". I have a love for WWI/II era bolt-action rifles. They are they great shooters, inexpensive to purchase and then there is the rebuilding and refinishing it. So cool to see a minted out M1 Garand or Enfield rifle on the range. Where am I going with this? Keep reading....

Years ago we had a shooting club (of sorts) at work. I was looking for a Mosin-Nagant rifle since a friend had one and I really enjoyed shooting it. I found a company in Shotgun News that sold them. As I started getting everything ready to order one, about everyone in the club decided that they also wanted one and we could get a better deal in volume, saving us about $15 per rifle. Problem I had was, what kind of flags did it raise to order 22 rifles by mail order?

Here is how it worked out. No guns can be shipped to a private residence unless they have an FFL. I don't so I had to make arrangements with a local FFL holder. Once the rifles were delivered to the FFL, I could not receive the rifles, rather each one who purchased a rifle had to show up, do paperwork etc, to get his rifle.

I asked the FFL for the number and called the ATF in Dallas (I believe) to ask if I would be put on some "list" for doing this purchase. The guy I talked with said if I was doing a legal purchase of even one rifle, they know about it. That is the one of the purposes of the FFL to begin with. Every rifle that I ordered had the serial number recorded as well as who purchased it. Sounds like a registry to me, no?

This has been going on since 1968 when they started the Federal Firearms License. If you buy your firearm over the counter, it already is in essence registered. It doesn't mean the gun won't be used illegally. No law is going to change that. A national registry only works when everyone complies and the criminals won't. I have a rifle that was a private purchase. If someone were to steal it and commit a crime, it gets recovered by the police, it would track back to my friend who would send the cops to my door. In truth the rifle would be on the hot list since any of my guns come up missing, I'd report it.

Lets stay on track with this debate and not attack one another. I don't agree with you getmeoutofhere, but I apologize for any smarta$$ comments I may have posted in the past aimed at you or anyone else. It's so easy to get sucked into the frenzy and become a forum warrior.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:48 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,129,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
As I said, I simply think a required national firearm registry is a good idea, which is being reinforced more and more by posts in this thread.
I disagree with the notion of a national firearm registry. There simply is no logical reason for such a thing.

We (my wife and I) own a number of firearms. We both carry concealed weapons - and do so most, if not all, the time. I have had the occasion to use a firearm for protection - and not merely drawing it.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,688,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
the paranoid delusions about the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Are you kidding me? You really sit around all day and think about this stuff?

You're calling everyone else paranoid for owning one, but you're the one coming across that way because you think everyone who owns one is a serial killer in training.

EXACTLY!!! Who is the one so "paranoid". I'm not paranoid about the government taking over and acting all stupid............ wait, they already did that But you are the one that is paranoid about who owns how many guns.

After getting off the phone for the UMPTEENTH time trying to straighten out a government snafu........... the government trying to have a NATIONAL database on who owns how many guns is NOT feasible as they can NOT nor could not accurately do such. They are NOT smart enough. Here is my little "problem" I'm dealing w/ right now though a bit off topic it DOES explain why the government is incapable of such.

There happens to be another child in the State of Texas that was born on the same day as my youngest w/ the same first and last name. This other child is on Medicaid. Medicaid like many other government agencies hires THIRD PARTY companies to oversee many of their collections, record keeping, etc (and these 3rd parties do NOT have to answer to anyone for their screw ups). Medicaid ONLY USES the patients FIRST and LAST NAME and DATE OF BIRTH in their records to locate private health insurance coverage. So they find MY DAUGHTER and try to collect from OUR insurance. Good thing I keep good records as each time I get an EOB in the mail I can look and know right away where my daughter was on that day and that she did NOT have surgery, nuclear medicine, etc done. (I'm already starting to feel for the parents of this other child w/ their health problems ). BUT, with GOVERNMENT LAWS LIKE HIPPA I don't have much recourse to find out the doctor, hospital or anything else in order to get this cleard up once and for all. All I have is the word of some call center clerk that they will TRY to not get the 2 mixed up any more. Right . While I'm on this 3-way call w/ them and my insurance another TWO CLAIMS come thru for this person on MY INSURANCE! So what is the big deal? My insurance rates go up and it goes into a database that MY daughter has these other health conditions which she does not. As the PROVIDER of the health insurance for the ENTIRE corporation that we own it raises the rates ACROSS THE BOARD for EVERYONE! Each "risk" raises the rates. Just because Jimbob smokes and has cancer he is not the one with higher rates. On corporate policies the rates are evenly distrubted across the board to EVERYONE! Those w/ great health have the same rate charged to them that the higher risk people do.

So I'm left to make a couple dozen phone calls each time one of these EOB's comes in the mail to TRY and clear up the FACT that this is NOT my daughter. The government nor their 3rd party contractors are smart enough to look at middle intials, guardian names, addresses, phone numbers, social security numbers....... NOTHING! As I was told by the 3rd party contractor....... I just have to keep calling every single time I get one. He suggested I call Medicaid and get it cleared up with them by giving them OUR information. Problem is........ we are NOT on Medicaid. With the privacy issues I can't be given this other persons info to give them when I call for them to look it up and make sure they get the right person.

And you want me to think that the government is capable of keeping accurate records in a database of EVERY SINGLE GUN in EVERY SINGLE PERSONS POSSESSION! Not in this lifetime. So what if another person with my same first and last name owns over 50 guns and then does something wrong and gets flagged. The government in their inept record keeping pulls up MY NAME first and comes a calling w/ the SWAT team and ATF. Never mind the fact when they show up they don't knock politely and just ask a few questions. They come storming in breaking everything in their path. Turn everything upside down trying to find this stash of weapons and ammo that they think I have. Better yet......... let's turn the tables. Someone with YOUR SAME NAME and they come to YOUR house and do this while your kids are there. Hold your wife and kids at gunpoint while they search your home and find anything they think could be evidence and seize it. Then they leave. Meanwhile there is nothing you can do to get restitution. They can not be forced to repair any damage they caused to your property nor pay you for any harm caused by mental distress and anguish. Can't happen? Right......... the police NEVER forcibly enter the wrong residence looking for someone

I'm not "paranoid". I'm just smart enough to realize the government in all of their infinite wisdom can not be trusted to ACCURATELY keep track of such and use it WISELY!!!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:39 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,085,235 times
billybones: Good post. I agree with your viewpoint.

I too enjoy the WW1/2 rihles. Lots of history there, they are relatively inexpensive and fun to shoot. Some of them use ammunition that is somewhat hard to find, but it's not impossible.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:07 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,419,700 times
We don't have any guns in our house as we don't have any use for them. We have a security system in our house and guns are very dangerous to have when you have kids. Sowe just decided not to have any.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,085,235 times
It's your choice, of course. My parents had guns in the house when my brother and me were kids, but Dad took us out with them and educated us about them. I don't think guns are necessarily dangerous if you have kids, if you keep them locked away when the kids are too young to understand them and then teach the kids about them when they are old enough. A security system isn't a complete solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas