U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-02-2007, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,357 times
Default ladonia texas

Anyone familiar with Ladonia, Tx. We are retired and looking at that area In am amazed at the cost of houses. Any info or insight appreciated. Pat
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 06:55 PM

485 posts, read 1,136,302 times
Yes, I am very familiar with Ladonia Texas. There is a reason the price of houses is enticing. There are houses all over that community(I use the term community loosely) for sale continually. There is no law there, so the county has to usually take care of the high crime rate. The mini bank is robbed several times a year. We hear about domestic disputes and shootings happening there often. Ladonia is well known in this county as the place to drive to get your alcohol since the rest of the county is dry. Its a poplular place to get your spirits, but I wouldn't live there if I was given one of the homes. I'm sorry to deliver doom and gloom, but these are true facts about Ladonia.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 8,357 times
Default ladonia

Thanks robinhood. pat

Old 03-18-2007, 08:57 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,523,166 times
Default Bad Water

We lived there in the early sixties. Water was horrible, full of iron, etc. Everyone had to have a cistern for drinking water. City water would leave rust stains in tubs, etc. and smelled like rotten eggs. Would cure skin problems, though. I don't know if it is still that way.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,817 times
Default Living in Ladonia

I bought a house in Ladonia recently and we love it here. I have Grandchildren that attend the Fannindel Schools and with the exception of a couple of teachers that are in need of retirement, the school system is very good. I have met several new residents of this small community that feel the same way. It is nice to move out of the DFW area for a little peace of mind and knowing that your children can breathe. I agree that the alcohol sales in this town are in need of state supervision which hopefully will happen and with all teenagers, there are some good ones and some not so good. If the parents would take an interest in their lives, that would stop too. I am tired of people blaming the small towns or lack of law and small schools for the way the children are growing up. Blame yourselves! As far as the water, it may not be the best in the world, but I have had worse coming from bigger cities.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 10,427 times
Default Ladonia

I've lived in Fannin County for 15 years and and Ladonia is a hole in the wall place. I don't know much about the schools. The town itself is not bad, population is under 1500 I belive. Real Estate, no matter where you buy in Fanning County is very high. When I moved here in 1993 you could buy an acre of land for $1000.00 or less an acre and now it is as high as $5000.00 an acre depending on your location.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:37 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,284,705 times
I have lived in Fannin Co for many years, and I worked frequently in the Ladonia schools as a consultant for many years.

Unless you want bars on your windows and plan to keep big bad dogs in your yard, you don't want to live there. There are some good people there, but it's not a place for 'strangers', especially older people, to move into and feel safe and relaxed. There are some beautiful older homes there that "big city folk' have come in, bought, remodeled and thought they had found their dream of a rural laid-back community----- they didn't stay long . Now those big houses are empty and falling down and can be bought for a song - people want to get out of there as soon as they see what life is 'really' like there. Also, there are really big walls between the two races there. Relations are not good.

IMO......Robinhood told you like it is. I agree - I wouldn't live there if they gave me the best house in town.... I value my life and property. However, there are some nice little towns near there that are entirely different, are very safe, inexpensive, great to live in and would be wonderful retirement spots. Please........keep looking!!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 04:31 PM

238 posts, read 480,895 times
All the more reason for me to stay in Flower Mound, TX, USA!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:03 AM

5,031 posts, read 7,812,133 times
This gets so confusing.

If Ladoniamom lives there and says it's okay and robinhood and others say it's terrible, how in the world can one really know? I'm told stats on crime and the like are useless when I go to a web site and quote something on city data. I checked one site for the crime in Ladonia, and it isn't bad. It's worse where I live according to the site and truthfully, I don't feel it's bad here in my small town in Central Texas. I feel quite safe in general.

According to the site, Ladonia has only 701 people. Who are the ones committing the so-called crimes? What ethnicity, what age, why?

I have no desire to live in that part of Texas, but I'm just curious and confused when I read about what's good and not good about a town. I believe I would rather rely on the stats of crime, ethnicity, water and air quality, and the like but then again, I would like to trust a resident of a town as well.

Alcohol, a problem all over Texas. Doesn't Texas lead the nation in drunk driving? I believe that's so, but I haven't time to "check it out" on the web right now.

For patcough, GayleTX, what are the great towns of which you speak located in that area?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:47 AM

8,630 posts, read 16,011,538 times
If you don't want to live there, why the curiousity then? But anyway, sometimes a visit to a place is more in order than relying on straight opinion. I live in a town North East of Austin, which in my opinion is a decent place with friendly people. But sometimes there are others, when someone posts a question about it, will run it down continually and then say where they live is better (usually central Austin or one of the pricier suburbs around it.) when, in reality, it's mostly due to opinion or preconcieved notions about a place that don't really have a basis in actual fact. So take it all with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas