Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:27 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,190,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malone7384 View Post
I want to be home for a Texas Christmas! Does that count?????

Muhnay - you made my mouth water talking about Brisket! Here in Oregon, you just don't find a decent brisket or any bbq for that matter. When you do find it - well let's just say that it ain't Texas BBQ by any stretch of the imagination!

I'll be thinking about ya'll on Christmas while I am dreaming of a Texas Christmas!
Mind if I ask where you are in Oregon? I have family there that I haven't seen in 40 years.

And what will make this Christmas special is it will be our new grand daughters first Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 02:54 PM

340 posts, read 642,782 times
Default Christmas Eve 2008

This year may be the time that I don't make it home in time for Christmas.

Growing up, every year we would go to Grandma's house on Christmas Eve. All 8 cousins would be there, as well as the parents. It was always great to see everybody and enjoy some great food, Christmas music on the stereo, and presents and gift wrap everywhere.

Being 25, I have been working for the past decade. Sometimes, I have had to work on Christmas Eve...usually getting off work around 6 or 7pm, right as the festivities were beginning.

This year will be different, though. I have been deployed to SE Houston for hurricane recovery. Unlike years past, I won't be working less than 5 or 10 miles from Grandma's house...I will be 270 miles away and working until at least 3 or 4pm. It's at least a 4-hour drive...in good travel conditions. I am hoping that the roads are navigable and the traffic is good on Interstate 45. But I have never had the privelage of trying to drive on I-45 on Christmas Eve, so I can only wait and worry.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:43 PM

295 posts, read 1,176,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Mind if I ask where you are in Oregon? I have family there that I haven't seen in 40 years.

And what will make this Christmas special is it will be our new grand daughters first Christmas.

Hi there,

We are in the Portland area - home of 13 inches of snow! We are on our second week of being snowed in. Be careful what you wish for when you wish for a White Christmas!

Old 12-22-2008, 04:43 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,190,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malone7384 View Post
Hi there,

We are in the Portland area - home of 13 inches of snow! We are on our second week of being snowed in. Be careful what you wish for when you wish for a White Christmas!

Believe it or not it snowed here about a week ago.. They say it was four inches.. We will be around 75 on Christmas day.

If you run into any Daniels in Lebanon tell them hi for me.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 PM

52,585 posts, read 47,743,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Believe it or not it snowed here about a week ago.. They say it was four inches.. We will be around 75 on Christmas day.
Like they say, wait a few minutes and it'll change.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:08 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,523,976 times
Default A Little Heart-Warmer...

Hey y'all...

Check out this music video clip of Kenny G., with Burgess Meredith appearing. Those "old softies" amongst us will surely love it! I did.

YouTube - Kenny G - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Old 12-23-2008, 09:58 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,273,377 times
I have a story. I was born in Wichita Falls but lived most of my childhood in Europe on military bases. My dad was in the Air Force and when I was 8 years old he was deployed to Vietnam for a year. Since we were already stationed in Germany at the time, we moved in with my German grandmother in a town with an American army post where we could go to school. Anyway, that was the most magical Christmas of my childhood. Most Europeans celebrate on Christmas Eve and that's what we did growing up, my mother being German. But we were about to have our eyes opened to a most charming custom on that night. My mother and grandmother told us kids to stay in the kitchen with the door closed because the Christkind, or Christ Child, was coming and we weren't to try and peek because then he wouldn't come. It seemed like forever to us! Then they finally opened the door and as we walked to the living room we could see soft light coming from that direction. In a corner of the room sitting on a table was about a 4 ft. tree, similar to the one below, with real lighted candles on the branches as was the custom (or maybe still is) with presents under the tree. It was so beautiful and so different to have a Christ Child bring us presents rather than Santa Claus. I will never forget it!

Christmas tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-25-2008, 08:32 AM

52,585 posts, read 47,743,181 times
Default .....And I've Got To Get Up

I'm home for a Texas Christmas right now! This is the latest I've slept in years ------ and I usually wake up around 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas