U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-26-2008, 09:47 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,368,752 times

Advertisements

We lived there for a year or so when I was little. I remember that Mama wouldn't hang her clothes outside on the line because the carbon black soot would settle on them.....we always had clothes hanging all over the house drying. BUT that was in the 'dark ages'.....it's not like that at all now. There's no carbon black soot and there is only occasional faint odor from the gas wells.....and you can smell them all over the panhandle if the wind is just right......kinda like the feed lots, it's the 'smell of money.'
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 11:00 AM

3,581 posts, read 2,183,678 times
Thank you James. I appreciate you taking your time to let me know these things. What is your opinion about the surrounding areas? Do you think they will have growth?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 AM

1,994 posts, read 2,710,238 times
I am always sad to see Pampa and Borger now. I remember them in the 50's and 60's as dynamic, growing cities. I think the major hope for the Pampa area is the wind farm development going on there. The major hope for the Borger area is Phillips petroleum and the refinery. Amarillo has reached the size that it will continue to grow, and it has the best prospects in the area, in my opinion. You can check census data, but both cities were over 30,000 at one point. Borger also had two cities adjoining it--Phillips and Buena Vista. Phillips is gone. Buena Vista has been absorbed into Borger. Borger, with all of the land that was once Buena Vista and Phillips, is about 14,000 and Pampa is about 17,000.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 AM

Thank you again James.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:07 PM

Are all of Borger's properties small? All of the realestate I find have little lots. The surrounding areas all small like that too?

Old 01-03-2009, 10:44 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,368,752 times
Hi, MaryBeth.......The houses and lots at Fritch are for the most part much larger than in Borger....Panhandle, also...and more variety in the types of houses. The majority of Borger's houses are mostly what I called 'row houses'.

Love the doggy pix in your profile!!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
Hi, MaryBeth.......The houses and lots at Fritch are for the most part much larger than in Borger....Panhandle, also...and more variety in the types of houses. The majority of Borger's houses are mostly what I called 'row houses'.

Love the doggy pix in your profile!!

Thanks Gayle

Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 AM

59 posts, read 125,408 times
Gayle pretty much summed it all up...great post! I have a friend living in Fritch and thats exactly how it is...she does most of her shopping in Borger and Amarillo.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:04 AM

Thanks MissyAKATink. Maybe I am crazy, but my heart is still toward that place. Maybe thr trick is to live in Firtch. I need to put a question all about it.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 AM

6 posts, read 13,124 times
Hi, i'm Missy's friend that lives in Fritch and i love it here. I'm not sure what you are looking for around here but i can tell u i would never live in Borger myself. Fritch is located around lake meredith. It is real low now but gawd it is beautiful. Loads of gullies and hills. It is very small, if that is what u like. There is a groc. store, dollar general, drug store, subway, dq, and a small, old fashioned restaurant we love. It is 12 miles from borger where i do my shopping and 42 miles from amarillo. So actually anything i want is handy. In Borger it seems the crime rate is going up. There is also Phillips refinery and Carbon Black. And let me tell u, when the wind is blowing ( which it usually is ) EVERYTHING gets coated with black soot. In Fritch i only know of 2 incidents in 8 years here and we never lock our doors unless we are going out of town. I also think Stinnett is a nice place but that is my opinion. We usually get a lot of snow and cold ( the first year there was 25 inches in 24 hours followed by an ice storm ) but so far this year we've had maybe and inch and only a couple days that were in the 20's and 30's. Mostly we have been in the 50's and 60's. May i ask y u are looking in this area? That would help a lot for info.
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas