Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:43 AM

78 posts, read 203,164 times

Advertisements

I know for a fact (from experience; K-12) that the Texas public schools do not prepare you for anything. I think my teachers baby-sat us rather than teaching us and assigning homework. I left high school and arrived at Texas State University with my jaw dropped realizing that I did not learn jack---- during my high school years. I know I'm not the only one because other professors were discussing how students come in expecting to be spoon-fed. Now that is sad. I even had classmates talk down to a foreign professor about why he wouldn't give a study guide or the answer to the final exam. I was amazed when I heard my classmates.

Well, all comments and perspectives are welcome here. Would like to see if this is the case through out the state of Texas. (Let's provide facts of our own experiences or what our children may be going through)

Thanks!

Changing lives one at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 10:55 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
No, I don't see it that way. I have seen it though ONLY w/ parents that expect their precious baby to have all A's and not have to do any work that would interfere w/ their sports or such. However, I had a pretty decent education in the public schools. My oldest has been in a G/T academy since kindergarten and she starts the IB program next year for high school. I'd say she is WELL PREPARED for college. As were the others that have gone thru the programs available.

Education - you get out of it what you put into it. PARENTS need to stop expecting the world in NON academics and push for accountability on the part of their KIDS.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:49 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,063 times
It sounds like you're trying to blame the system instead of taking accountability for your own education. I know that Texas State is known for being a school for partiers whose parents pay for everything; so that could be the reason for the other students expecting to be spoon fed. I don't think you can judge a whole state's education system based on your experience.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:53 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,005,485 times
Nope, you can NOT make a sweeping indictment of Texas schools. It totally depends on the district, what courses are offered, and what the students put into it.

We lived in Brownsville and my son was interested in engineering so he went to the engineering magnet school. It was a BIG disappointment. Basically, it did NOT prepare students to study engineering -- it was focused on architectural drafting. My son was interested in chemical engineering because he loved chemistry but the school had NO AP Chemistry courses.

When he got to Texas Tech, he was WAY behind the other students from other high schools around Texas. He was really upset because he said they had experience with equipment and concepts that he had never encountered. In the end, his organic chemistry professor told him that he was too far behind everyone else to make it as a chem. engineering major and they recommended that he change his major, so he did. He has still had to work harder than everyone else to catch up to expectations.

Brownsville schools are apparently OK in preparing students to attend TSTC or UTB but not a major university.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:06 PM

Hmmm... well, in general majority of students don't put in as much and in return teachers start giving up and the next round of students are screwed. Cycles, baby.
Now you all are the exception. We are a sample of the population that cannot represent the population. Yeah, your kids or schools may seem like they had it otherwise, but come on. The truth is that we don't educate children as we should be. Too many students for one teacher. Technology has changed for the better (or worse as some may see it), but our PUBLIC schools have not kept up with technology and the use of these applications. You are always going to have a bright bunch in the graduating class, but overall the majority of them (both teachers and students) do not strive for the best.* Don't you all think our schools in this state can do better?

*Please Note: I am not only including my experience at school.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:22 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times
Gifted and talented was not around when my children were in school. My daughter's first grade teacher pulled her to the side one day and told her she was special. She gave her assignments way beyond first grade academics. Of course, not all teachers were willing to go above and beyond the call of duty for the really smart children.

Anyway, she did well all through school, was involved in all academic activities and because she was who she was, she was able to function well in a classroom with children who didn't share her intelligence or even when she had the teacher from Hell who let the kids run amok all day long. She could handle it. My son had the same teacher in the 3rd grade, but it only hurt him.

I remember when my daughter and several of the other intelligent kids in high school used to always correct the English teacher. It drove them nuts because she couldn't spell and got her parts of speech mixed up. My daughter to this day boasts about her 7th and 8th grade English teacher and states she was one of the reasons she had such a fantastic understanding of the English language. So, there's an example of a really bright and caring teacher who is still teaching today.

She worked throughout her junior and senior years of high school and maintained her grades, graduating 2nd in her class at a rural Texas ISD. She went to Baylor, worked more than 40 hours a week sometimes at two different places of employment and graduated in 4 years with a 3.2 average.

She then went on to Dallas Baptist for her Masters attending night school only and working full-time during the day. It did take three years to accomplish this goal while carrying a 4.0.

I said all that to say most schools and many teachers are not the greatest in educating; I don't think it matters where they're located. Nowadays with all kids are up against, I believe a good solid education is harder to come by.

Anyway, it takes effort on the part of a child who has goals and in spite of "not the best teacher" or the best school, these goals may still be accomplished. One child may learn from a fantastic teacher and another may not learn a thing no matter how great the instructor. A lot of kids just don't care. Not all kids are the brightest in school, but that certainly doesn't mean they won't excel when they face the real world, with or with college.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Anyway, it takes effort on the part of a child who has goals and in spite of "not the best teacher" or the best school, these goals may still be accomplished. One child may learn from a fantastic teacher and another may not learn a thing no matter how great the instructor. A lot of kids just don't care. Not all kids are bright with academics, but that certainly doesn't mean they won't excel elsewhere.
My hat is off to that teacher. I'm happy to know she's still teaching and students, like your children, are out there who are willing to put the effort and learn from their educators as much as they can.

And you make a very very good point about a good education is hard to come by, and that lots of kids don't care.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:36 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPlanner View Post
My hat is off to that teacher. I'm happy to know she's still teaching and students, like your children, are out there who are willing to put the effort and learn from their educators as much as they can.

And you make a very very good point about a good education is hard to come by, and that lots of kids don't care.
Well, my son was not like his sister in school. He hated the books and there were times, I thought I'd go crazy because of his lack of interest and not putting forth the effort. He was straight A's in elementary, mixture of A's and B's in junior high, and in high school, he came close to failing a time or two. He was a a great kid, but the books just weren't his thing.

He did not go to college, but he's very successful with his own business and is very business smart and a man of integrity. He is super as is my daughter, but when it came to school, they were so different. When we moved to Texas in 1978, my daughter was 5. She said to me one day out of the blue, "Mommy, when I get big, I'm going to go to Baylor University." I said, "That's great." I would never have believed 12 years later she would do just that.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Well, my son was not like his sister in school. He hated the books and there were times, I thought I'd go crazy because of his lack of interest and not putting forth the effort. He was straight A's in elementary, mixture of A's and B's in junior high, and in high school, he came close to failing a time or two. He was a a great kid, but the books just weren't his thing.

He did not go to college, but he's very successful with his own business and is very business smart and a man of integrity. He is super as is my daughter, but when it came to school, they were so different. When we moved to Texas in 1978, my daughter was 5. She said to me one day out of the blue, "Mommy, when I get big, I'm going to go to Baylor University." I said, "That's great." I would never have believed 12 years later she would do just that.
LOL. That's cute. Yeah, my sister is not one who can be with books. She's struggled too. Congrats to both your children for being successful and for having a wonderful mom to raise them!

Old 12-27-2008, 03:15 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,063 times
I think you are the exception when it comes to experience with Texas public schools. I know several freshman in college who graduated from Lubbock area schools, and they said that they were perfectly prepared for college. One of these students who went to UPenn (one of the top schools in the country) said that the admissions board was eager to accept applicants who did well in Texas schools because of the high standards. I'm not saying Texas schools don't need improvement, but you're blowing it way out of proportion. You are generalizing an entire state's education system based on yours and a few peoples' experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas