Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 01:24 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

I just moved to San Antonio, TX from Missouri
my in-laws from Missouri (plus 3 teens) want to visit us sometime next year, maybe during spring break and they want to go to a border town and walk to Mexico. (They don't have passports)

I've heard all the bad stories about traveling to Mexico, specially border towns,
that's why I thought (from the little that I know) that Del Rio/Ciudad Acuña would be the best place to take them.

My plan would be to spend 1 night at Del Rio and maybe walk to Ciudad Acuña during the day and go shopping over there and maybe visit Amistad Reservoir, too.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 08:33 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
It's very safe to go there. there is a restaurant there "Moderna", that when you walk in, you feel like you walked into 1944 Rick's Cafe from Casablanca. that's my opinion. anyway...good food, great prices, and Cuban Cigars. Do not bring any back with you.
Also there is a nice Best Western motel about a block from the restaurant. Clean and not expensive.
it's easy to walk over. people do it all the time. Check before you go on document requirements. I have a passpaort and always take it. I don't know what they want now, or what they want when you go. Just check first.
It is very common for US citizens to walk over. That's what i do all the time. I leave the car in a city lot about 1 block from the crossing and walk over.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:55 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
How far is Del Rio from Austin? Or I guess San Antonio. My husband wants to do that sometime too and I told him about that area.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Del Rio from Austin is a pretty good clip, at 235 miles or so.

To the OP: Del Rio is one of the very few border towns I'd visit these days, but I'd still be careful. Be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Be sure and visit Ma Crosby's restaurant while you're there. They used to make a Portuguese Chicken dish that is to die for!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:58 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Need info about "Del Rio/Ciudad Acuña"

Radio/TV personality Wolf Man Jack was from Del Rio, Texas. Word was his antenna was in Mexico so he could broadcast at a high wattage. We could pick up the signal in Abilene on a clear nite.

At that time the ciudad was Villa Acuña.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas