U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would you move back to CA?
Heck yeah! Home sweet home! 13 32.50%
No way, I love it here! 16 40.00%
Home prices have dropped? 11 27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2009, 03:38 PM
 
Location: CRE
121 posts, read 374,348 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

Now that the prices of homes in CA have dropped tremendously, have you considered moving back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
 
Location: southwest michigan
1,061 posts, read 2,892,669 times
Reputation: 494
From someone who lives in a way-out-there suburb in CA (60 miles from metro city center, 45 miles from hubby's work): decent homes are still about $120 per sq/ft for a foreclosure with no appliances and a 6000 sq. ft lot that needs a little "tlc". Home prices have definitely dropped a lot compared to a few years ago here, but it's still not what a person would consider "affordable". And the nearest airport takes over an hour to get to. And we have CA public schools. Just trying to help put things in perspective!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 06:05 PM
 
Location: CRE
121 posts, read 374,348 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
From someone who lives in a way-out-there suburb in CA (60 miles from metro city center, 45 miles from hubby's work): decent homes are still about $120 per sq/ft for a foreclosure with no appliances and a 6000 sq. ft lot that needs a little "tlc". Home prices have definitely dropped a lot compared to a few years ago here, but it's still not what a person would consider "affordable". And the nearest airport takes over an hour to get to. And we have CA public schools. Just trying to help put things in perspective!
You are speaking of the Temecula area correct? If so, there are lots of foreclosure homes in the $75-80 sq ft. range in and around that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 06:26 PM
 
Location: southwest michigan
1,061 posts, read 2,892,669 times
Reputation: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarAllanPogi View Post
You are speaking of the Temecula area correct? If so, there are lots of foreclosure homes in the $75-80 sq ft. range in and around that area.
I live in Temecula and perhaps you're looking at condos....or homes near the casino? Neither of those fit the bill. I'm talking about something I would really want to own, not something that I'm "settling" for just because I can finally afford it . Minimum (very reasonable!) requirements: 1500 sq. ft or more, 7000 sq ft lot or more, mature trees, nothing south of 79S (casino traffic and wildfire danger)or off Winchester rd. (too much mall traffic), and not zoned for Temecula Elementary school. This would be something I'd be willing to pay for....but we'd still be over an hour from the airport, and still have CA public schools, and hubby would still have a 90 mile round trip commute every day. Soooooooo....still doesn't seem very "affordable" especially in terms of location! But if one is willing to do anything to live in SoCal, including settling for a mostly compromised house, then yes, now's the time to do it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
 
Location: CRE
121 posts, read 374,348 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
I live in Temecula and perhaps you're looking at condos....or homes near the casino? Neither of those fit the bill. I'm talking about something I would really want to own, not something that I'm "settling" for just because I can finally afford it . Minimum requirements: 1500 sq. ft or more, 7000 sq ft or more, mature trees, nothing south of 79S (casino traffic and wildfire danger)or off Winchester rd. (too much mall traffic), not zoned for Temecula Elementary school. This would be something I'd be willing to pay for....but we'd still be over an hour from the airport, and still have CA public schools, and hubby would still have a 90 mile round trip commute every day. Soooooooo....still doesn't seem very "affordable"! If one is willing to do anything to live in SoCal, including settling for a mostly compromised house, then yes, now's the time to do it!!!
None to the above regarding houses. I'm seeing homes that are are only a couple of years old, 3000sq ft plus at $75-80 range. BTW, are you saying Temecula school district and the Poway unified are bad??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 06:39 PM
 
Location: southwest michigan
1,061 posts, read 2,892,669 times
Reputation: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarAllanPogi View Post
None to the above regarding houses. I'm seeing homes that are are only a couple of years old, 3000sq ft plus at $75-80 range. BTW, are you saying Temecula school district and the Poway unified are bad??
Yes, the new homes have tiny lots and no trees. Not my thing And one that large is gonna be a bear to cool in the summer. Also not my thing . Plus, check for Mello Roos on newer neighborhoods. Sneaky not-taxes that work just like taxes will sneak up on a home buyer!

No, by CA standards, Poway and Temecula have great schools. It's just that CA standards aren't so high, ya know? Great schools in CA still don't have PE, music, art, or computer classes. Booooo . My reference to Temec. elementary was to the specific school called Temecula Elementary...poorly rated even by CA standards .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 06:39 PM
 
3,468 posts, read 7,113,127 times
Reputation: 1597
Sorry dweej, you'll never "win" this argument with Pogi. He HATES San Antonio and only posts here to stir up fights and diss SA as much as possible. Joy.

And now my inbox will be FILLED with "hate mail" from him since I dared to speak out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 06:42 PM
 
Location: southwest michigan
1,061 posts, read 2,892,669 times
Reputation: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Sorry dweej, you'll never "win" this argument with Pogi. He HATES San Antonio and only posts here to stir up fights and diss SA as much as possible. Joy.

And now my inbox will be FILLED with "hate mail" from him since I dared to speak out.
Hahaha! You know, there is a certain type of house and neighborhood that he might like that might be a "good deal".....but those huge boxes on small lots are totally not my style .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 06:45 PM
 
3,468 posts, read 7,113,127 times
Reputation: 1597
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
Hahaha! You know, there is a certain type of house and neighborhood that he might like that might be a "good deal".....but those huge boxes on small lots are totally not my style .
True Dat!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 PM
 
Location: CRE
121 posts, read 374,348 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
Hahaha! You know, there is a certain type of house and neighborhood that he might like that might be a "good deal".....but those huge boxes on small lots are totally not my style .
Interesting how on the Riverside forum you talk highly of where you live, but then you come to the Texas forum and it's the complete opposite.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top