Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:11 AM

449 posts, read 1,698,374 times

Advertisements

From what I've read it seems we'd love it there - still we're not retiring like a lot of posters who've asked about the Big Bend area. Rentals and jobs ... are they very difficult to get? I know some places work best by "word of mouth" for those two things or is it really just a great place to retire or spend your vacation but very hard if you're still a working person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 07:14 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
I love that area, if for no other reason than it is isolated, has great weather, and is near mountains. I highly doubt employment opportunities are abundant though.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:30 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Hey SYN, can you remove her double post on this topic?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:06 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,615 times
I lived in Marfa for three years, my ex-husband was stationed there with the Border Patrol. I loved living in Marfa! The friendliest people you will ever meet! It also has a wonderful dry climate, which I love.
Employment is difficult. I worked in the Marfa National Bank for awhile as a teller. After that, I worked in a medical office in Alpine. So, while jobs are sometimes hard to find, they are not impossible.
I hope you and your family love it there. I know I have so many fond memories of it.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:02 PM

449 posts, read 1,698,374 times
Thank you both for the replies. I had suspected jobs might be hard to find since they are smaller places. We're pretty flexible, don't work in highly specialized fields.

Stephanie,
It sounds like you really liked it there, for the reasons I think we'd like it too.
I don't know if you rented but if you did, is that also harder?Would prefer to rent a small house over an apartment if possible.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
I go through there often- don't forget Fort Davis - part of the three town triangle. FT Davis probably has the best summer climate in the state. All three areas are so isolated -that's the drawback. Three hours to El Paso, and probably 6 to san antonio.

Alpine is dominated by the college Sul Ross. Ft Davis is the smallest of the three.
Land prices seem high there for such a remote area.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:41 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
As I never tire of stating, that is my favorite part of Texas. Yes, if you need anything you can't find locally, it's a long way to a city. The climate and scenery are outstanding. Fort Davis has great food, too. The last time I was there, every restaurant I went to was terrific.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:27 AM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times
Is there any fishing in that area? Lakes, rivers, streams?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:43 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
I did not like the area to relocate. I checked it out and it just didn't appeal to me. It looked really good on the internet sites but once I saw it in person, that cured me. We're all different though.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post

Stephanie,
It sounds like you really liked it there, for the reasons I think we'd like it too.
I don't know if you rented but if you did, is that also harder?Would prefer to rent a small house over an apartment if possible.
We rented during the 3 years we were there. Its funny, we rented the parsonage (sp?) of the 1st Christian Church (located right next to the courthouse.) Beautiful old stucco house, 2 bdrms, 1 bath. We paid $350 a month, plus utilities. Of course, this has been about 12 years ago. We were very lucky to come upon this rental, especially for that price. I think they are sometimes hard to find. But what a wonderful location!! We would walk "downtown" everyday.
The groceries are a bit higher there, and you wont find the best medical care; but it so beautiful, and I made so many friends there.
I miss it very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas