U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:24 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,162,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I've only had a brief lay over in Atlanta. Their airport was very nice & modern. It put D/FW to shame.

That said, I like Dallas better because its more cosmopolitan than ATL.
I actually think so too. It has a more upscale/artsy/cosmo feel to it than Atlanta does. ATL is definitely cosmo but I think Dallas gives off that vibe more. Anyone from Atlanta would beg to differ but having lived in both I can agree with you on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 10:24 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,351,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I don't think anyone can dispute the geography and topography of DFW vs. Atlanta. One lies on the rolling prairies, the other lies in the Piedmont foothills. If DFW had located 100 miles to the east where Tyler and Kilgore are now, it would be a totally different story.

Hmmm, I wonder if Dallas would be as large as it is now had it located a bit further to the east.
Tricky question. It probably would've been Waco that would be in Dallas's position now. The railroads is what really gave Dallas the boost it needed.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone can dispute the geography and topography of DFW vs. Atlanta. One lies on the rolling prairies, the other lies in the Piedmont foothills. If DFW had located 100 miles to the east where Tyler and Kilgore are now, it would be a totally different story.

Hmmm, I wonder if Dallas would be as large as it is now had it located a bit further to the east.
I actually wish Dallas was located about 100 miles west along I-20. The Palo Pinto Mountains and valleys with the cactus, live oak trees and exposed rock formations and river valleys is gorgeous. Dallas is literally in the middle of that and the Piney Woods area of East Texas. A short drive from Dallas and you are in a totally different landscape. 100 miles from Atlanta and you just have a more hilly or more flat landscape with the same scenery as you have in Atlanta. Texas has such diverse offerings in terms of topography/climate/cultures.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 PM

12,308 posts, read 13,213,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The railroads is what really gave Dallas the boost it needed.
Along with the discovery of Petroleum in Kilgore & later on down the line the birth of D/FW Airport.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:35 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,657,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I actually think so too. It has a more upscale/artsy/cosmo feel to it than Atlanta does. ATL is definitely cosmo but I think Dallas gives off that vibe more. Anyone from Atlanta would beg to differ but having lived in both I can agree with you on this.
While I do feel that Dallas does feel a bit more upscale, I still think that Atlanta has the edge on arty, bohemian neighborhoods.

Another difference I noticed is that Dallas' freeway and arterial system is a lot better-designed than Atlanta's. Much more efficient and easier to get around. I was stuck on the LBJ Fwy in traffic, found out about an accident on the Central Expwy heading south. So, I exited the highway, drove down Skillman, made my way over to Greenville, and got to where I needed to get to in time.

Try doing that in Atlanta While the curvy, tree-lined streets are pretty to look at, they're not always the best to handle traffic. Cobb Pkwy/US 41 in Cobb County is often touted as a good alternative to I-75, but since it's the only highway that's really parallel to I-75 up that way, everyone else has the same idea, and it's often not that much better. I learned some okay shortcuts that often had me cutting through residential neighborhoods and multiple streets, but nothing beats a grid plan when it comes to things like this.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:03 PM

15,969 posts, read 25,420,254 times
If you want to see 'quirky' in Dallas, I would be glad to lead you on an extensive tour...however you must buy me a beer at each stop (I won't be driving either).

Old 03-18-2010, 12:11 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,657,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
If you want to see 'quirky' in Dallas, I would be glad to lead you on an extensive tour...however you must buy me a beer at each stop (I won't be driving either).

LMAO. I'm not denying there are quirky, charming neighborhoods in Dallas. I did a drive-by of the Bishop Arts district (couldn't stop as I was on my way to an appointment and I had to get some tacos from Fuel City), ate over in Lower Greenville, drove around Oak Lawn, and I think I found myself in Lakewood as well, over by the Whole Foods and the theater. I still say the edge goes to Atlanta, but it's not as if it surpasses it miles ahead in my pea-brain

Old 03-18-2010, 03:20 PM

15,969 posts, read 25,420,254 times
You did get around! Next time try Lee Harvey's and Jack's Backyard!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
LMAO. I'm not denying there are quirky, charming neighborhoods in Dallas. I did a drive-by of the Bishop Arts district (couldn't stop as I was on my way to an appointment and I had to get some tacos from Fuel City), ate over in Lower Greenville, drove around Oak Lawn, and I think I found myself in Lakewood as well, over by the Whole Foods and the theater. I still say the edge goes to Atlanta, but it's not as if it surpasses it miles ahead in my pea-brain
I do see what you mean in regard to the bohemian funky type areas,
but I was referring to things such as actual pieces of artwork you see scattered around the area like in area parks and green space, NorthPark Center. Inside Cowboys Stadium, the Arts District, Design District, Oak Lawn, Uptown. Downtown Dallas & Downtown Fort Worth. The Calatrava bridge being constructed and so on. There is a much more noticeable appreciation of the arts in Dallas and the citizens and area leaders incorporate a lot of art into things here. There really wasn't much of that at all in Atlanta. It just makes it feel very cosmopolitan when you combine that with the other quality elements the Dallas area offers.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:11 AM

819 posts, read 1,141,091 times
Both cities are similar to the other. ATL just has curvy roads and hills. Little Five Points is a mere version of Melrose in Dixie. But, man oh man. Those exotic sodas from around the world they serve up at the Coca Cola Museum in Atlanta are to tour for.

Dallas is more diverse people-wise and the thing I like about it better is that it's also quite closer to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas