Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:01 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
MJ, don't stay at any of the hotels out near I-20.
Heed that advice! We stayed out by I-20 when my nephew was born in 1997,and I was glad to see the morning come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:29 AM

18 posts, read 79,852 times
Default No Extended Stay Hotels?

Thanks for the hotel list. Out of that list, I think only the Hampton Inn and Suites may have a kitchen. I found a Homewood Suites that has a kitchen....anywhere else?

Also, where is the "discount' cinema located?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 25,150 times
Stay out of East Texas if you can. They absolutely do not accept anyone who is not from East Texas and whose grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, or siblings that they don't know, haven't had some kind of relations with, or haven't slaughtered in their never-ending gossip sessions. But it gets worse - when they have decided that you are not from East Texas - they will go to no ends to remove you from your job, your house, and any intention that you ever had of making a life there. Ethics? Forget it. Decency? Forget it. Live out your days in the sunset there? Absolutely not. And it won't be for your lack of trying.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:57 PM

216 posts, read 934,526 times
STEX needs banned. Longview is a city of 80,000+, not some tent city stuck out in the woods.

The discount theater is on Hwy 31.

From the mall (on the Loop), go south on McCann ... it turns into Spur 63.

Spur 63 crosses Hwy. 80 & Cotton Street, pass the Ford house and veer right as Spur 63 dead ends into Hwy. 31. Theater is just ahead on your left.

If you choose Homewood Suites, it is close to Hwy. 80 and you'd be a step closer to the theater.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:29 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,238 times
I'm currently between cars and have had great conversations with black taxi drivers. Also several times while waiting for a cab I've been offered rides by a couple of black men. I've been in Tyler 4 months and do sometimes sense a little hostility from some blacks but mostly people here are very kind and pleasant to deal with. Religion is a big deal in Tyler and while people aren't perfect you get the sense that most are really trying to do the right thing. If there's a knock against Tyler it's that it's so traditional that if you do anything different(I live in a RV park), some really have a hard time with it. I've only seen Longview from I-20 but it looks nice. Tyler is a bit expensive so you may get more for your money in Longview. Longview is closer to Shreveport, which I really like.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:30 PM

Default Courtyard Apartments

Courtyard Apartments at 1900 S Green St has an ad in Craigslist. Pictures doesn't look good...can anyone give details about the apartments and the area?

Old 03-16-2009, 06:58 PM

102 posts, read 429,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_is_in View Post
Courtyard Apartments at 1900 S Green St has an ad in Craigslist. Pictures doesn't look good...can anyone give details about the apartments and the area?
Not a very good area. Not at all. In fact, this area is one of the more troublesome areas in Longview. Not the worst, but definitely an area to avoid. I don't want to dis everything on the south side since there are several really nice areas of older homes, but if it were me, I wouldn't even look at anything south of Hwy 80. If you're unsure of the location, use google maps or google earth to look it up. And if you use google earth street view, you can many times see what the property looks like as well as the surrounding areas. Also, check other towns around Longview like Hallsville, White Oak, Spring Hill, Kilgore, maybe even Ore City. You can probably find plenty of available properties in these areas and traveling into Longview is a breeze (Well, Ore City is about 30 miles north. All the rest are 10-15 miles from city center).

Old 03-16-2009, 09:12 PM

189 posts, read 628,700 times
Homewood Suites Hotel is in a good central location in town. They have kitchenettes and had good reviews online. Days Inn and Holiday Inn Express are two others.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:35 PM

Default Hi Rise Apartments

Are there any high rise apartments in the Longview area?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 PM

102 posts, read 429,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_is_in View Post
Are there any high rise apartments in the Longview area?

Nope. 2-3 story is bout it. Although there are some loft apartments downtown, but still only 2 or 3 story. How bout it Back2TX, have any of the other, ahem, "skyscrapers" downtown been converted to apartments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas