Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:36 PM

18 posts, read 79,479 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are a middle class African American family thinking about relocating to Tyler or Longview. I have read several posts in this forum and don't really have a good feel of race relations in the area. We do not have any children so schools are not a big concern for us at this time. My questions are:

1. Are both cities heavily divided? (Majority of African American live in one part of town, white in another, etc) What neighborhoods are nice and quiet nearest to things to do in the city?

2. Is Tyler or Longview better concerning race relations or about the same? I read that Longview has a "race relations committee". I guess that can be taken two ways: One way is that the city is really trying to acheive "harmony"...the other way is that race relations is such a problem that a committee is needed to try and keep peace. Do people of different races get along and "be involved" with each other or do people "stick with" their own race?

3. Are the Churches segregated...specifically Churches of Christ?

We have lived in numerous cities including some where most people tried to judge us by our race instead of the kind of people we are so we don't want to experience that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 06:52 PM

595 posts, read 2,712,164 times
I'm not African American...however I haven't noticed a racial divide.....in Tyler there is a part of town that it seemed to attract African Americans at some point back in history. Those neighborhoods haven't changed much. I don't think it's because they don't think they can live anywhere else...I think it was tradition for such a long time. Does that make sense? We have black neighbors and we go to church with blacks, hispanics, whites and asians.....
I guess in some parts of E. Texas it still may be old school...but I'm not involved with people who believe that way.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,857,943 times
Tyler has traditionally been more White & Longview more Black population wise, although both are so close its really not that huge of a difference to amount to a hill of beans.

South Tyler is heavily populated with Whites while North Tyler is heavily populated Blacks. East side of Tyler is heavily Hispanic. The most diverse areas are going to be found inside of the Loop (Urban Tyler)

Hope that helps!

Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 PM

216 posts, read 930,934 times
Metro Matt is usually very good at his stats & numbers, but he missed on his Black/White ratios.

Per City-Data's information & stats:

Races in Tyler:
... White Non-Hispanic (55.6%)
... Black (26.6%)
... Hispanic (15.8%)
... Other race (8.5%)
... Two or more races (1.6%)
... American Indian (0.7%)

Races in Longview:
... White Non-Hispanic (65.5%)
... Black (22.1%)
... Hispanic (10.3%)
... Other race (4.9%)
... Two or more races (1.5%)
... American Indian (1.0%)

Both cities have sections of town that lean more to one race or another, but racial issues are not routinely front page news in either city. All-in-all ... people of all races, religions, likes, dislikes, beliefs, and affilliations interact well on a daily basis in both Longview and Tyler.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:17 PM

What really shocks me is that people still concern themselves with racial issues when here it is 2009 & we are about to swear in our first bi-racial president.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM

56 posts, read 292,975 times
I grew up in rural East Texas back in the 80s and 90s. I had friends of various races (White/Black/Hispanic/Asian/etc.) and we all hung out together without incident or segregation. We ate supper at each other's houses and dated each other's sisters. Our parents sat next to each other in the stands when we played sports.

However... since moving away from the South, I have never experienced racism as apparent as that of the Northeast or even that or large urban epicenters. It never fails to amaze me how "progressive" so many Northerners and/or "city folk" think they are, yet still harbor obvious racist underpinnings in their thought processes.

This is not to say that there aren't racists in the East Texas but I would argue that you will typically be able to tell who is and who isn't in East Texas at the outset... and they are usually backwoods isolationist types. Whereas they're far better at concealing it in large cities and in the Northeast.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:31 PM

18 posts, read 79,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
What really shocks me is that people still concern themselves with racial issues when here it is 2009 & we are about to swear in our first bi-racial president.

I don't know if this comment was for me or not, but I will respond by saying that racism is still an issue in the U.S. depending on where you live. I have resided in the South, East, Midwest and Northern part of the U.S. during my life and have experienced racism on all levels (Whites vs Blacks; Blacks vs Whites, etc). It can always improve, but will never be "perfect".

Thanks for the responses. I will find out in a couple of week whether we will have the opportunity to relocate or not. I do have more questions:

1. Read something about it is hard for "outsider women" in Tyler and Longview. Is this accurate?

2. Spoke with someone in Tyler who now lives in Longview who claims that Longview is a little more "lively" than Tyler although Tyler is bigger. Claims most people in Tyler only go out to eat and that eating places are always crowded at any time of the day. (I hope not to offend anyone...just posting what this person said)

3. My wife and I love movie theaters (Does Tyler or Longview have a discount movie theater), plays, sporting events (sure Dallas would have to do here), putt putt and lakes...which city is better for these activities.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:07 AM

102 posts, read 427,982 times
If you go looking for segregation and/or racism, you're bound to find it. But hopefully, that's not what you are looking for. Longview and Tyler aren't any different in this regard than just about any other city. But until thoughts such as this, "It [racism] can always improve, but will never be "perfect", disappear from everyone's first thoughts about a new area, it doesn't stand a chance.

Both cities have more of a "community", or "we're all in this together" attitude when it comes to special events, high school sports (especially football!), church activities, and community support. I really don't know which way the "race relations committee" operates since it was organized after I moved away. There is a plethora of good restaurants in both cities, and yes, they do get crowded at times. I'm not sure about discount movie theaters, but with multi screen theaters in both cities, you should have a good selection. You can always go to Dallas for pro sports, Six Flags, and great concerts, but there is much to do in east Texas. And if you prefer gambling or horse racing, Shreveport is only an hour away from Longview.

East Texas is not Utopia. Just like anywhere else, it has it's share of idiots, racists, gangbanger wannabees, teenage pregnancies, and rednecks. But is IS a very liveable area. I think you'll do just fine. No matter where you settle, the best information I can pass along is; Do NOT move to the area and start telling your neighbors and co-workers, "This is how we did it where I come from." Bad juju. Baaaad juju.

One more quick note: While visiting Longview, you absolutely MUST eat at Juicy's Hamburgers at the Xsectin of Hwy 80 and Spur 63. The original location. Without a doubt, it is THE best hamburger you have ever put in your mouth! Just indescribeably delicious! Get there early to avoid the crowd.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:04 AM

I would say Longview is just a tad more Liberal than Tyler too. You can't buy any alcohol at the grocery store or corner gas station in Tyler, but you can in Longview.

On a side note, you can buy & sell Texas made wine now inside the Tyler city limits. Weird laws I know.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_is_in View Post

I don't know if this comment was for me or not, but I will respond by saying that racism is still an issue in the U.S. depending on where you live. I have resided in the South, East, Midwest and Northern part of the U.S. during my life and have experienced racism on all levels (Whites vs Blacks; Blacks vs Whites, etc). It can always improve, but will never be "perfect".
Kinda unusual to hear openly I know, but some of the most racist people I've known have been Asians, not Whites. They just know how to keep it on the DL because they can speak another language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas