Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,332,145 times

Advertisements

oh yeah, i forgot about chicarones!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:19 PM

Synopsis-buy the SABRA brand hummus at HEB. it is VERY smooth. and no trans fats and no cholesterol and GOOD FOR YOU. my fellow coworkers and i snack on it quite often..a much healthier, lower calorie snack than potato chips and dip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Chips and salsa or the old frito-pie standby. I love frito-pie! There's hardly anything better than chili and fritos mixed together.

BTW, I also LOVE NOTAM's suggestion of hummus dip. It's delicious.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:22 PM

WHAT? Pace Picante? That should be OUTLAWED! When you live in Texas and can buy the good stuff?? I love HEB roasted salsa (in the pouches, in produce), JOE T GARCIA's of Ft Worth (available at HEB in jars), heck even El Fenix and Don Pablo mo' bettah than Pace!!! Um, hey TexasReb, now we need a TEXAS HOT SAUCE/SALSA topic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
Blue Bell!!! An old family tradition around here is philly cream cheese, Pace Picante Chunky Hot Sauce smash together to taste, then Fritos preferably Scoops to dip into!!! Blue Bell!!! Frito Pie chili cheese and onion for me. Blue Bell!!! Pork rinds with Tabasco (The Real Stuff sprinkle in the bag your self)! Blue Bell!!! Chips Ahoy or plain old fashion oatmeal cookies...

Okay I have to quit there I'm on restrictions this week.

Last edited by NOTAM; 01-13-2009 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-13-2009, 08:24 PM

another wierd favorite of mine....plain potato chips (thin kind, not ruffled or thick cut..regular or baked) sprinkled with Texas Pete (a type of Tabasco)

Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 PM

550 posts, read 1,545,846 times
Cool To each his own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
WHAT? Pace Picante? That should be OUTLAWED! When you live in Texas and can buy the good stuff?? I love HEB roasted salsa (in the pouches, in produce), JOE T GARCIA's of Ft Worth (available at HEB in jars), heck even El Fenix and Don Pablo mo' bettah than Pace!!! Um, hey TexasReb, now we need a TEXAS HOT SAUCE/SALSA topic!!
Pace is the Original Texas picante!!! The restaurant sauces loose a lot when they try to go into big production Joe T's is the perfect example of that to me. I like it well enough at the restaurant but can't stand the store bought stuff. But I guess to each his own on personal taste!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 PM

well yeah...just sayin' so much better stuff on the shelves than Pace, in my opinion. and of course the bottled Joe T's aint near as good as the stuff at the restaurant..i miss that place!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
Pace is the Original Texas picante!!! The restaurant sauces loose a lot when they try to go into big production Joe T's is the perfect example of that to me. I like it well enough at the restaurant but can't stand the store bought stuff. But I guess to each his own on personal taste!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 PM

550 posts, read 1,545,846 times
Cool Less We forget Pace was origanaly from San Antonio!

Following in his family's footsteps. Pace began his own food business of bottled syrups, as well as jellies and jams. All of these products were made, packed and shipped out of a small space in the back of a liquor store that he and his wife, Margaret, rented. As time went on, he expanded the business to a variety of other condiments. Always on the hunt for new ideas, in 1947 he decided the real "syrup of the Southwest" was Mexican sauce - which is now known as salsa.

Pace pursued his new idea passionately and urgently. Starting with a basic recipe, he dove into experimentation with different blends of ingredients, testing the results on his golf buddies, before settling on the winning mix of jalapenos, onions and tomatoes. He named his creation "picante" sauce - Spanish for "piquant," meaning "flavorful" or "spicy."

While continuing to sell some 58 assorted condiments, he tinkered with his picante sauce formula for the better part of a decade, determined to find just the right cooking time - enough to seal in the flavor and preserve it, but not a second longer. As Pace perfected the recipe that is still used today, demand grew, leading him to the bold decision to drop the rest of the company's line to focus on Pace Picante sauce.

He shared his passion for picante sauce with zeal, visiting restaurants with a jar in hand, using it during his meal, and leaving it behind on the table for other patrons and the restaurant owners to try when he was done!
On the Trail of Fresh Ingredients

Right from the start, David Pace realized that fresh ingredients would set Pace Picante sauce apart. He even tried growing his own jalapenos - but the local deer were so fond of his peppers that he had a hard time maintaining a supply.

Undeterred, he began buying his peppers directly from local farmers. Later, the company began following the "jalapeno trail," buying from different regions according to the harvest season, to find the best and freshest peppers throughout the year. In recent years, the Pace brand has developed its own pepper seeds to ensure the perfect flavor and texture, and today uses more than 25 million pounds of fresh jalapenos every year - more than anyone else in the country.

Salsa Catches Fire Across America

David Pace didn't just make picante sauce - he loved it, and used it in a variety of ways. He felt picante sauce was at home flavoring many different dishes, serving it with eggs, chicken, and burgers. He was even rumored to mix a spoonful into his morning coffee!

Though salsa with Java didn't catch on, a growing number of fans heartily agreed with David Pace about picante sauce's versatility. The company began receiving letters from customers who discovered Pace products in Texas, moved north, and missed their picante sauce. As David Pace retired in 1979, other family members not only kept all those fan letters, but shared them with grocers and were able to bring the flavors of the Southwest to stores and kitchens all across the country.

In 1981, to accommodate different palettes, the company introduced "mild" and "hot" varieties to accompany the original "medium" Picante sauce. In 1989, Pace gave Picante sauce fans a whole other salsa experience by adding Thick & Chunky salsa to the Pace family of products. This offered consumers a choice between the smoother and more finely blended picante sauce versus the thicker salsa with large chunks of crisp vegetables.

The growing demand for Picante sauce and salsa reflected the changing demographics of America as well as the increasing popularity of Mexican restaurants and cuisine. Pace's vision was coming to life, as the Picante sauce he created became a leader in the Mexican category - tantalizing consumers' taste buds across the country. The sauce of the Southwest was growing in recognition as a versatile, flavor enhancer that was spicing up meals in restaurants nationwide. As consumers tasted these Mexican sauces, they wanted to bring them home - and did, in record numbers. In 1991, Mexican sauces famously overtook ketchup as the top-selling condiment in the United States in total dollar sales, with Pace salsa and Picante sauce leading the trend.

Pace Foods since was acquired by Campbell Soup Company in 1995. Pace products are still made in Paris, Texas, with the same uncompromising care that David Pace put into every bottle.

Pace Foods introduced seven new specialty salsas in 2008, catering to the increasingly adventurous tastes of today's consumers. These salsas are made with distinctive ingredients Pace is known for, like guajillo peppers, asadero cheese and real blue agave tequila. The specialty salsa line includes Pineapple Mango Chipotle, Black Bean & Roasted Corn, Triple Pepper Salsa, Tequila Lime Salsa, Salsa Verde, Pico De Gallo, and Mexican Four Cheese Salsa Con Queso.

Still a hot commodity 60 years after pioneering the Mexican sauces category. Pace Picante sauce and salsas took top honors for their categories in Chile Pepper magazine's 2009 Fiery Food Challenge. Pace Foods took home a total of six awards, including three of the coveted first-place Golden Chile trophies, for Tequila Lime, Triple Pepper and Picante sauce - Hot. These recent wins affirm that the quality, great taste and craftsmanship Pace has perfected is still winning the hearts of consumers and salsa aficionados to this day.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:09 AM
Status: "Astros need a strong spring." (set 20 minutes ago)

52,585 posts, read 47,738,458 times
Default And Now, This Message

This thread is brought to you by Pace.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:24 AM

hee hee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post

Old 01-14-2009, 07:01 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,521,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Get a rope!

I don't really have a strong preference in the realm of salsa, but I always thought Picante's commercials were great. My two favorites were the cowboys "get a rope" alluded to above, and one of the first ones that came out which, as I recall, were set in a diner. When the waitress revealed that the stuff they sold was made in "New York City", some pot-bellied stereotypical looking Texas sheriff said "Ma'am, I'm afraid we is gonna have to close y'all down.."

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-14-2009 at 08:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas