U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2010, 07:40 AM

16,448 posts, read 10,800,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
So they believe in keeping out of others peoples business but forcing the state to discriminate on behalf of their beliefs. Not surprisingly your description of a Conservative contradicts itself in the span of two sentences. Which frankly seems to be par for the course today.
Feel free to mosey on to a more liberal state if you're offended by our conservative ways...

Old 10-01-2010, 09:21 AM

16,502 posts, read 22,990,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
"Is Texas really as conservative/narrow-minded as people say it is? "

This is like the old vaudeville gag question:"Are you still beating your wife?". The way your question is framed requires us to accept your assertion that conservative and narrow minded are somehow connected. Texans in general are conservative, believing in marriage between man and woman, the right to bear arms, the existence and authority of God, the importance of self-reliance and hard work, and keeping out of other people's business. They tend to talk less and tell it straight when they do talk. Conservative? Yes. Narrow minded? I don't think so. A liberal would, of course, because they don't believe in the same things that most Texans do.
Now, this post is just as guilty of stereotyping Texas as the OP's question is. No, "Texans in general" do not share all of those traits (though many share some of them, in differing combinations, along with some others).

Again, Texas is just too danged big to lump all in one category (with, perhaps, the exception of keeping out of other people's business, and that with the exception of those whose life is politics - but, then, that's what politics, whether conservative or liberal, and most organized religion are all about, isn't it, keeping in other people's business?).

Old 10-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Status: " On and off line interchangeably" (set 7 days ago)

9,823 posts, read 11,318,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
"Is Texas really as conservative/narrow-minded as people say it is? "

This is like the old vaudeville gag question:"Are you still beating your wife?". The way your question is framed requires us to accept your assertion that conservative and narrow minded are somehow connected. Texans in general are conservative, believing in marriage between man and woman, the right to bear arms, the existence and authority of God, the importance of self-reliance and hard work, and keeping out of other people's business. They tend to talk less and tell it straight when they do talk. Conservative? Yes. Narrow minded? I don't think so. A liberal would, of course, because they don't believe in the same things that most Texans do.
Great post and analogy, Bideshi!

It is not necessary to debate the pros and cons of the issues you bring up (there are other threads for that) to recognize the obvious truth that, yes indeed, we Texans DO tend to be more conservative, believe in traditional definition of marriage, take a solid stance on the right of the private citizen to keep and bear arms (and own them), and consider religion an important part of our lives. Any public opinion polls when comparing states will back up all what you say.

Your post and observations cannot be negatively compared with that of the OP in the sense of "stereotyping". The main reason is that yours can be backed up by some factual data.

I realize there are a few out there who want to think of Texas as some sort of "melting pot" devoid of any dominant influences existing. That we are some sort of fuzzy nothing, in other words. How sad...

Old 10-02-2010, 07:39 AM

15,989 posts, read 14,462,325 times
I see Texas as more of a "purple" state than a red state. It does trend Republican and some of the most solidly-Republican counties in the US are here in Texas but that doesn't mean that we are all conservative.

That also doesn't mean that all conservative people are narrow-minded. I tend to vote left of center and my boyfriend tends to vote Republican. He considers himself a conservative but he's not narrow-minded in the slightest.

And even though I vote left of center I am still a strong supporter of the second amendment, strongly anti-illegal immigration, and 100% for personal responsibility!

If you are looking for extremely dogmatic right-wing OR left-wing people you will find them here but we're not all like that.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Great post and analogy, Bideshi!

It is not necessary to debate the pros and cons of the issues you bring up (there are other threads for that) to recognize the obvious truth that, yes indeed, we Texans DO tend to be more conservative, believe in traditional definition of marriage, take a solid stance on the right of the private citizen to keep and bear arms (and own them), and consider religion an important part of our lives. Any public opinion polls when comparing states will back up all what you say.

Your post and observations cannot be negatively compared with that of the OP in the sense of "stereotyping". The main reason is that yours can be backed up by some factual data.

I realize there are a few out there who want to think of Texas as some sort of "melting pot" devoid of any dominant influences existing. That we are some sort of fuzzy nothing, in other words. How sad...
TexasReb, I'm sorry, but just because you agree with a blanket description of an entire state (or race, or sex, or anything else) does not mean that it's not stereotyping.

As for "public opinion polls", I learned a LONG time ago (especially when working with people who were trying, with the best will in the world, to come up with unbiased questions for surveys) that the exact wording of the questions is critical, and that a poll can be skewed to say whatever you want it to say depending not only on what questions are asked, but how they are asked. Also, that bias is danged near impossible to avoid in a question, because if you share the bias, you're just not going to see that it's there - it's a blind spot. Which was the point of the poster who was saying that the OP's question was akin to asking "When did you stop beating your wife?" He just didn't see that his post reflected just as much of a bias as the OP.

Apparently, because you agree with his description, never mind that it doesn't describe the Texas that I've lived in for 60 years, you can't see it, either.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I see Texas as more of a "purple" state than a red state. It does trend Republican and some of the most solidly-Republican counties in the US are here in Texas but that doesn't mean that we are all conservative.

That also doesn't mean that all conservative people are narrow-minded. I tend to vote left of center and my boyfriend tends to vote Republican. He considers himself a conservative but he's not narrow-minded in the slightest.

And even though I vote left of center I am still a strong supporter of the second amendment, strongly anti-illegal immigration, and 100% for personal responsibility!

If you are looking for extremely dogmatic right-wing OR left-wing people you will find them here but we're not all like that.
I think that was the point Bideshi was making and that the question as per the title of the thread topic posed was akin to the "when did you stop beating your wife" ploy. That is, any answer is going to be "wrong".

As it is, here are a couple of links confirming (at least according to Gallup poll results) what was being said:

State of the States: Importance of Religion

Ideology: Three Deep South States Are the Most Conservative

Something else to consider is that a self-identified "liberal" in Texas might be considered a "moderate" or even "conservative" in California or Massachusetts.

"Narrow-mindedness" (as you say) is not synonymous with conservatism...except in the minds of those whose ideological visions do not permit them to see outside the box. Speaking as a conservative, it has been my experience that some of the most intolerant, narrow-minded, folks of all, are some of those in the liberal camp. It is all relative to ones own world vision.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:02 PM

2,711 posts, read 1,986,787 times
Something else to consider is that a self-identified "liberal" in Texas might be considered a "moderate" or even "conservative" in California or Massachusetts.

Well, that could be true. Austin is supposedly extremeley liberal by Texas standards, but really couldn't hold a candle to Boston, NY, LA, SF or DC. It's just that it has a lot of educated people and is a lot more accepting than the rest of Texas. If that's liberal here, then so be it.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
=TexasHorseLady;16116483]TexasReb, I'm sorry, but just because you agree with a blanket description of an entire state (or race, or sex, or anything else) does not mean that it's not stereotyping.
Texas Horse Lady? I am a much a native Texan as you, and have the generational credentials to back it up.

I am really not sure the point you are trying to make.

Stereotyping? Ok, fair enough. Let's discuss it. Does the so called "stereotype" have a basis in reality? If it doesnt? Then I guess it is just a stupid stereotype. If it can be backed up though? Then it is not a stereotype at all. It is a reality.

Every single poll in the world confirms that we Texans DO tend to be more conservative than most other Americans. Do you really deny this?

Quote:
As for "public opinion polls", I learned a LONG time ago (especially when working with people who were trying, with the best will in the world, to come up with unbiased questions for surveys) that the exact wording of the questions is critical, and that a poll can be skewed to say whatever you want it to say depending not only on what questions are asked, but how they are asked.
Yes, you have a good point there. But in this case there wasn't a lot of ambiguity about it. The question asked, simply, to self-identify yourself as to ideology. Conservate. Moderate, Liberal.

Most Texan are conservative. Texas is a conservative state. And Texans take conservative stances on national issues, as a general rule. I guess that means it is a generalization, right?

Is it stereotyping to say such? I don't know, is it? The more important aspect to me is, is is it true?

Quote:
Apparently, because you agree with his description, never mind that it doesn't describe the Texas that I've lived in for 60 years, you can't see it, either.
I don't know the man from Adam. I DO know, however, that what he says is backed up by polling replies from Texans themselves (ourselves).

Texas Horse Lady? Perhaps the Texas you have lived in for the last 60 years is not the one others have lived in...? I have lived 52 years in another one, apparently...

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-02-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Old 10-02-2010, 09:29 PM

Exactly. And thus, it is not possible to state that Texas, as a whole, is either conservative or narrow-minded (or, for that matter, apparently, Southern or Western or Southwestern). We have both lived here for, what, six decades (not sure about you), but the Texas you describe is not one that I recognize, and apparently vice versa. Heck, we both lived in East Texas, as I recall (at least, I was born and grew up there), and I don't recognize the East Texas that you describe.

So, to say that "Texas" and "Texans" are any one thing is stereotyping, BECAUSE of those differences of which you and I are such great examples.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:15 PM

43,242 posts, read 47,117,023 times
Texas is conservative but nrrow minded i thnik not. But I guess that people who actaully like independeance and less governamnt regualtion of their lifes is pretty starnge to some who are so dependent on others really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas