Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,166 times

Advertisements

Hmm....

Conservative
Tough
Competative

I'd like to think, and hope so, but unfortunately I don't think as much as it used to be. I'd say yes in the small towns.

Last edited by TX_AGGIE13; 01-14-2009 at 06:31 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 05:38 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
I would say that Texans are much less narrow-minded than people from out of state who make blanket statements or ask questions like "Is Texas really as narrow-minded as people say?"

Old 01-14-2009, 06:05 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,272,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Most native Texans remain generally conservative.
As do many transplants, even those from California. Love ya, TexasReb.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 PM

256 posts, read 749,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'd have to know what you mean by "conservative". Do you mean red versus blue? Do you mean fiscally conservative? Define your terms, and maybe you'll get a good answer.

Or, don't, and you'll probably get a political knock-down dragout by default.
Good question. I guess I was referring more to socially conservative, but I'm interested in both.

Mainly, I want to know if Dallas and Houston are more conservative than other big metropolitan areas, either in terms of social views or fiscal issues, tax issues, whatever. I've always thought of Texas as socially conservative, e.g. being pro-gun, harsh penalties for criminals, "traditional values", a lot of importance placed on religious belief/Christianity, etc. Those are my general perceptions, but it could just be those things are characteristic of the whole south and not any more prominent in Texas than in any other state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
As far as I am concerned, it is not conservative/narrow minded enough.
Not trying to diss your city, but I did read somewhere Plano was the 5th most conservative/Republican-voting city in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
AMEN to that one! It was done very deliberately to try to stir things up.
No, actually, it really, really wasn't. I'm trying to learn more about your state, do you have a problem with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I would say that Texans are much less narrow-minded than people from out of state who make blanket statements or ask questions like "Is Texas really as narrow-minded as people say?"
It's narrow-minded to ask if what some people say about Texas is actually true or not?

Just FYI, I originally posted this in the General U.S. forum, where there is a lot of debate on this subject. I did not post this thread in the Texas forum looking to stir up trouble with all the posters from Texas.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Texas has actually been a historically Blue state. It changed when Reagan became president.
Angel, this is true...in a sense...but needs to be qualified. As a legacy of Reconstruction, Texas was part of the so-called "Solid South" and was a "one party" Democratic state up until the 1970's at least. However, as another poster alluded to, it was conservative Democrat. Some may remember that former governor John Connally headed a group called "Democrats for Nixon" during the presidential election of 1972.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:09 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
As do many transplants, even those from California. Love ya, TexasReb.
LOL Love ya too, CC!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Why do you associate being a conservative with poor, narrow/minded (whatever that means) and uneducated?
Because according to the OP, if you don't agree with their views, you are narrow-minded.

I'm about as conservative as they get, and I don't consider myself narrow-minded at all.

It seems the so-called "progressives" only believe in diversity when it comes to seeing things their way.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 AM

24 posts, read 137,185 times
I have lived in the Dallas area my entire life. To answer your question, Texas is conservative in terms of traditional values such as family values, and predominately politically conservative. But, the enormous number of people that have relocated to Texas from northern states over the last 20 years is changing that. Politically, it is more conservative, but we do have many in Texas legislation that are not. It is a good mix. Racially, I would say that Texas has come a long way from the 1950's and 1960's racial wars. Especially in large metros like Dallas/Ft Worth. I would say the days of the racial prejudices are gone for good. There will be prejudice people anywhere you go, but I think that is the minority. We have a diverse culture here in DFW. People get along as good here as they do anywhere, and I have been around. I would not recommend deep south Texas unless you would enjoy living in Mexico. The hill country is really nice. I am currently seeking real estate in east Texas. I grew up in the country north of Dallas, but there is no country left around here now. All the farms and ranches are gone and replaced with concrete. I am a country boy and I got to get out of this metromess. I have had enough of it. Y'all come on down, everyone else does. I think you will like it here.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
We used to be, that is before we started allowing our Southern Neighbor to influx us with many liberal minded ( I WANT MY FREE HANDOUT ) people, as well as the many Californians who Fu.. err messed up their state are coming here to do the same to ours. Texans used to be about standing on your own two feet, and facing what ever was before you with out fear or shame. Now we are a sanctuary state, allowing people who have messed up their countries and states to come here and do the same to ours. Sad really. Texas Pride is being shat on, and we stand idly by and watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post

It seems like Texas has a reputation for being very conservative, politically (more so than other southern states) and very "tough" and "competitive", I guess you'd say. My biggest question is, is this accurate? Is it really any more conservative than other states like Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, etc.? I used to think that it very much was, but the more I've thought about it, the more I've realized that Texas a very diverse, complex state, with many different demographic factors, and you can't generalize a state with 24 million people (2nd most populous state in the country) in any way..

Old 01-15-2009, 12:37 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
I started this thread not to bash Texas, but to get some legitimate opinions from people who live in or have been to Texas. I admit, I have somewhat of a prejeduce against Texas for various reasons, but reading what people say on this forum has greatly changed my mind and I do not dislike it as much anymore.

It seems like Texas has a reputation for being very conservative, politically (more so than other southern states) and very "tough" and "competitive", I guess you'd say. My biggest question is, is this accurate? Is it really any more conservative than other states like Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, etc.? I used to think that it very much was, but the more I've thought about it, the more I've realized that Texas a very diverse, complex state, with many different demographic factors, and you can't generalize a state with 24 million people (2nd most populous state in the country) in any way.

So obviously, like any other state, Texas has many different geographic regions and areas that are all different. So my question for Texans is, when you compare apples to apples, are big cities in Texas (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, etc.) more conservative than big cities in other states? Are small towns in Texas more conservative/narrow-minded than other small towns? Are metropolitan areas as whole (Dallas and Houston) more conservative than other metropolitan areas as a whole? This is what has intrigued me the most.

Again, this is not an anti-Texas thread, I'm geniunely interested in the perspectives of people who have spent a significant amount of time in Texas.
I'd say no more than they are in Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas