Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times

Advertisements

I didn't know what Rotel was until NOTAM explained it to me over the phone. We have it in cans up here--matter of fact--I have 2 cans in my cabinets now, but it isn't called Ro*tel...The can just says "diced tomatoes and green chilis". I use it in a lot of dips. Never tried the sausage, but that sounds yummy. I think a great variation would be instead of cream cheese, use velveeta cheese for the cheddar taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 10:02 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
...The can just says "diced tomatoes and green chilis". ..

That sounds like Great Value (WalMart) brand... A no-nonsense description. That's their version of Ro*Tel and is pretty decent, but the name brand is definitely better.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:47 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
I've been eating Rotel as long as I can remember. It use to just be the tomatoes w/green chilies, then diced tomatoes w/green chilies, now there are more variations. Melt a pound of Velveeta, mix in a can of Rotel, open a bag of Fritos to dip with and it is so good. I've even tried the Rotel chili fixins and believe it or not, it makes for a good, quick, easy chili, not bad at all if you have a pound of ground chuck thawed out and wondering what to make with it. I live in Burleson, outside of Fort Worth and I don't think I've ever seen a grocery store that doesn't carry Rotel. Good stuff!

Old 01-17-2009, 12:40 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
oops sorry. i reckon my post was misinterpreted. wasnt being serious or tryin to be ugly.that's why i used the laughing emoticon..my apologies
Accepted, and please accept mine.. we got off on the wrong foot it seems. The web page link you gave has lots of cool recipes. Thanks for Ro*Tel info.. I honestly have never heard of it before. I will have to give it a try in some Queso sometime.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:56 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I've been eating Rotel as long as I can remember. It use to just be the tomatoes w/green chilies, then diced tomatoes w/green chilies, now there are more variations. Melt a pound of Velveeta, mix in a can of Rotel, open a bag of Fritos to dip with and it is so good. I've even tried the Rotel chili fixins and believe it or not, it makes for a good, quick, easy chili, not bad at all if you have a pound of ground chuck thawed out and wondering what to make with it. I live in Burleson, outside of Fort Worth and I don't think I've ever seen a grocery store that doesn't carry Rotel. Good stuff!

As a chili fixin', that would definitely be one worth trying.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:26 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
I looked at Albertsons tonight for it, and did not see it. I will look at Big 8 ( Lowes Food ) and WalMart and see if they have it.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:24 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
I would be shocked if the grocery stores in El Paso, of all places, didn't carry Rotel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I looked at Albertsons tonight for it, and did not see it. I will look at Big 8 ( Lowes Food ) and WalMart and see if they have it.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:31 PM

285 posts, read 677,702 times
I buy it in our stores in northern Virginia, but have shopped so rarely in Texas that I can't say if it is available in the stores I frequent there.

My daughter, however, lives in Denmark and buys it from buythecase.com.

Lori

Old 01-17-2009, 10:00 PM

550 posts, read 1,549,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
My husband always dumps it in some Velveeta and melts it together to make not-quite queso.
My Dad used Rotel to make con queso when we where out of Herdez Salsa Casera, He used to buy Herdez by the case when we would go on our once a year trip to Juarez when I was a kid. Rotel Extra Hot is great for con queso. Now that you can even buy Herdez here in Texas at Walmart give it a try for a difference! Add Hot sausage or taco meat for a kick! I also use Rotel Extra Hot for chicken Tortilla soup. I will get the hole recipe for that one when I not lazy!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:18 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Ro*Tel is essentially a Tex-Mex thing. Great for cheese dip w/ Mexican corn chips, and in my wife's King Ranch Chicken!! (Another TX dish) The hotter the better, though my stomach can't handle very much of it. .
What is King Ranch Chicken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas