Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:41 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,106 times

Advertisements

People who are more educated have demonstrated that they like to learn. And some (not all) of that learning might be in contrast to family-based lessons growing up. Since Texas is a family-based state, those who move beyond that perspective might see things from a larger-picture point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 05:55 PM

24 posts, read 137,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy2009 View Post
Especially with social issues.

I understand economic conservatism - there are plenty of good arguments for that.

But social backwardness - why is this mainly the province of less educated people, and the more educated one is the more likely they are accepting of gays etc?

To take a very crude example compare UT and A&M. A&M is less prestigious, easier to be admitted, and not as rigorous academically as UT Austin, and the student bodies are about as opposite politically as is possible.

Also Rice tends to be quite liberal.

Maybe it's just intelligence that is the deciding factor and education serves as a useful proxy (this makes sense in light of the A&M vs. UT example).
The answer is simple. Colleges are chocked full of liberal professors and their liberal beliefs bleed into their teaching. If you want to talk about sheeple, consider the liberal students coming out of liberal teaching colleges.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:45 PM

16 posts, read 74,999 times
Austinguy2009 stated "My question is why do smart/educated people tend to be socially liberal - i.e. not harbor bigoted feelings towards racial minorities or gays? Of course there are many uneducated members of the democratic party, and uneducated liberals."...

Maybe this is the point where very educated people & very stupid people meet.

Calling most African Americans uneducated is not very compassionate & open minded either. I guess you don't care about the general PC crap, just they specific PC crap about gays & religion. Which tells me you are a gay that is resentful towards religion because you believe you are not accepted by the religion. You need to manage that chip that's residing on your shoulder, not drag the rest of us into to it to assuage your hurt feelings by intimating you are superior to us conservatives. I am a conservative who could frankly give a good Goddamn about where you hide your salami. Unfortuantely, that is not good enough for you, you insist that we (collective) must embrace your gayness & stamp it with a seal of approval. Good luck with that. My suggestion for you would be to lose the chip, deal with whatever insecurities YOU have with your lifestyle & live happily ever after. After all, the only person with any real control over your life is you. Why would you lower yourself to even care what the uneducated masses think of you anyway?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:06 PM

51 posts, read 176,641 times
The only reason UT edges out A&M a little bit is that UT receives more money from the state.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:37 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
In my experience, most Texans who are more educated are actually more conservative than those who aren't.

And, if you'd look at UT, I'm pretty sure that politically, more students there are republicans than democrats. Austin is pretty liberal - don't get me wrong. But I would be very surprised if UT students were MAJORITY democrat/liberal. You're right that A & M is much more red though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: