U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,271 times

Advertisements

I am going to be relocating in February to Beaumont from Calgary, Canada for a period of 12-24 months with my job, and am pretty curious what I can expect. How is Beaumont in regards to weather, crime, pollution, hospitality, and entertainment? I'm a 26 year old single guy, am I going to be bored out of my mind there?

As well, I'm going to be renting a furnished place to live for my stay there, what areas in town should I be looking in? Does anyone know any good websites to look for these kinds of places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 PM

366 posts, read 1,059,791 times
Weather: 9 months of summer, lows 75, highs 95+. One great month of fall, one month "winter" (50 lows-70 high), one month of a great spring. Air conditioning can be used at least once every month. Ours ran on Christmas and Christmas eve. Very humid, torrential rainfall (60-80) in./year possible.

Crime: very dependent where you live. Suburbs and rural areas safer than the city, but all in all not too bad. Stay out of seedy areas you will be fine.

Pollution: GROSSLY over hyped. The area was pretty bad 20-25 years ago, but industry is now exceeding clean. Some people who can't admit the truth will soon post, trying to convince you it is horrible here. Don't believe it. Area is IN EPA compliance.

Hospitality: Great! Solid, "down to earth" people abound here. People are open and talkative, in general.

Entertainment: Depends. There is the regular assortment of club and dance halls here, but it is not like a big city scene. If you like water sports, outdoors, hunting/fishing, you will love things here. Seafood/Cajun restaurants are famous here. You can readily find entertainment here, if you are open minded to new things.

WELCOME TO THE AREA!

Last edited by southeasttexas; 01-22-2009 at 08:40 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 10:12 AM

7,752 posts, read 18,523,866 times
What’s said above is pretty accurate. As far as the air goes, in many places it stinks like any industrial area would. It’s not exactly a health spa, but I’d say 99.9% of the time, it’s ok. I work in the area and have been caught in the middle of a massive black & yellow gas-cloud release in which we had to evacuate the entire plant. The story made the local news, and the state slapped on heavy fines (TCEQ, not EPA). It hospitalized a few people, and made me sick until I drove out of town. When I got home I had to take a shower + wash my clothes, and my car stunk for about a month afterward. It’s a very rare situation, but that’s just how it goes sometimes.

I have also been to Calgary on business. Calgary vs. Beaumont is like comparing night & day in just about every imaginable way. Brutal dry cold vs. brutal humid hot. Dense white-collar city vs. sprawling blue-collar towns. Calgary is terribly expensive as well. A burger basket and a breakfast buffet cost me $22 each w/ tip. You can get some of the absolute best Cajun or seafood here for 3 people w/ $22. And in Calgary they know how to do coffee, but suck at iced tea… and the opposite is true in Texas.

Calgary is a much better place for a young person who’s out & about on the hip/cosmo/ostentatious scene. If you spent a decent amount of time ‘living it up’ in Calgary, you just might be bored out of your mind in Beaumont. I know quite a few single people, age 25-35, from all over the USA who work in this area, and bought older condos near downtown Houston. Fri-Sun they fix up their places & hang out at the trendy spots there. On workdays they hole up (sometimes with roommates) here in cheap efficiencies. The idea is when the job is over, they can ditch the efficiency and maybe move permanently to Houston. If they have to move away, they can either sell the condo at a small profit, or turn it into an investment property. So if boating, fishing, peaceful nature, etc isn't your thing, that may be an option.

A lot of people, temps and locals, take 90 minute drive day trips into Houston for other activities including pro-sports.

Last edited by tstone; 01-27-2009 at 10:23 AM..

Old 01-29-2009, 12:21 AM

3,581 posts, read 2,190,199 times
I guess everyone has their opinion. Mine would be slightly different. I think Beaumont is a very busy populated little city. Highy humid and I would think you would use your air conditioner at least once a day.. that is with the furnace too since it is winter, by the way. There is a lot to do if you like the nite life. Good luck is what I say. We've been hit with hurricane Ike and things are still a mess around the area. Maybe that is the work you are coming for, to help fix things up. In that case, I thank you. The web site I would offer to help you find what you need in the area is www.southeasttexas.com Good luck

Old 01-29-2009, 09:06 AM

7,752 posts, read 18,523,866 times
The Golden Triangle is a pretty darn busy place. Take all 400k to 500k people in the entire area here, add even more people and then jam them into a dense city and there's Calgary. Leave the cars and walk on the grid, somewhat like you would in San Francisco but without the steep hills. Calgary is a very pedestrian friendly city. It's nothing at all like anywhere in Texas. Beaumont area is 'Texas-style' busy. However those with vehicles in Calgary definitely like their big cars & trucks like we do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas