U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:51 PM

13 posts, read 29,955 times

Advertisements

BellestarofTexas and all you who criticize the Valley, are you saying that there is no crime in your towns? No gangs or illegal activity? C'mon, how would you like it if people were putting down your area of living? No one can change your opinion I'm sure so maybe you should take your negative feelings towards South Texas to the grave...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 07:00 PM

One more thing Belle, do you feel your being Anglo has anything to do with your opinions on the RGV? I have white friends and many of them are doing just fine in the RGV, maybe not in Raymondville, which is what I thought we were talking about, but you seem to be bashing the entire RGV. I also know other white folks who do not like the Valley because they are the minority. However, the demographics(diversity) is growing and there are many more white and black people than in recent years, which is something I feel the Valley will benefit from.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,370,834 times
oh i am sure. but i don't want to stir this issue up any more since i've already got threats of bodily harm here from a CD poster from San Antonio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasStateBobcat View Post
One more thing Belle, do you feel your being Anglo has anything to do with your opinions on the RGV? I have white friends and many of them are doing just fine in the RGV, maybe not in Raymondville, which is what I thought we were talking about, but you seem to be bashing the entire RGV. I also know other white folks who do not like the Valley because they are the minority. However, the demographics(diversity) is growing and there are many more white and black people than in recent years, which is something I feel the Valley will benefit from.

Last edited by NOTAM; 11-11-2008 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,753,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasStateBobcat View Post
BellestarofTexas and all you who criticize the Valley, are you saying that there is no crime in your towns? No gangs or illegal activity? C'mon, how would you like it if people were putting down your area of living? No one can change your opinion I'm sure so maybe you should take your negative feelings towards South Texas to the grave...
I used to live in the Valley; now I live in a truly diverse area. Thank God! I got sick of anything not bolted down outside getting stolen; having my son beaten up by kids he didn't know simply because he is white; trying to get medical care and services from people who spoke nonsensical broken English; and finding illegal aliens on my doorstep demanding that I give them work. And, NO, I haven't had even ONE INCIDENT of even a petty crime against me or my property in the two years I've lived elsewhere. The Valley has problems they refuse to address.

If you love the Valley -- GREAT! LIVE THERE! But trying to shout down people who have NOT had good experiences there isn't right. I wish someone had warned ME when I was planning to move there -- I wouldn't have done it! But I had to learn the hard way and my son had to suffer, too. It's so dang far away from desirable places to live in Texas, it can take awhile for people to be able to move once they're there.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:24 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,846,217 times
I was the district attorney in Willacy County in the late 80s the one before me Lee Fernon never did one jury trial so criminals could get away with all sorts of stuff. The first week I got there I had planned to take a case to jury and there were only 31 jurors from the juror pool that should have been 100 I chewed out the sheriff but he replied they never really had trials there. Fernon later tried to indict me to keep me from getting his job - he didnt succed and has lost his right to practice law in Texas.

Corruption was RAMPANT this time I agree with Bellestar. I forced the 4 term County Clerk Gomez -who liked to brag that he only came in to work one day a year- to resign - the tv news said " Is this something personal between you and Gomez?" I said lol I had never met him. Then there was the county judge Rapp and the mayor who bought the 86 elections - I convicted their campaign managers in trials that had to be moved to Brownsville and Edinburg. County Treasurer - same thing. Commissioners Tamez ( one of my many enemies) was convicted on a federal bribary charge well after I left office. The DA after me Juan Guerra didnt try cases either. He was my asst but flunked the bar - later passing it.

Was I popular for cleaning up all this corruption? HELL NO they loved it!

The schools were also pretty bad I remember the avg 6th grader at Raymondville had a 4th grade reading and math level.

ON the other hand the winters were nice and warm. Houses were really cheap. I could get sandias ( watermelons ) for 25 cents. There was no pollution and not much traffic. It was an easy ride to mexico or to the Gulf. There were many pretty tropical plants that couldnt grow in the rest of the country. Lots of friendly people - they grew up with corruption and just didnt care.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:04 PM

I feel for you teatime because I myself have been a victim of some of the experiences you went through, primarily vandalism, while I was living in the RGV and that's cause I am Hispanic. But then again, what city in America doesn't have robbers? I understand what you mean about broken English and I agree, but you must understand that many people down there are bilingual and it is more difficult to have proper etiquette when you speak two languages. People came over "asking" not "demanding" work, but maybe your experiences were different than mine. About your kid being beat up simply because he is white is a little far fetched, there had to be some sort of confrontation prior to him being beat up which is something we would all like to know.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I used to live in the Valley; now I live in a truly diverse area. Thank God! I got sick of anything not bolted down outside getting stolen; having my son beaten up by kids he didn't know simply because he is white; trying to get medical care and services from people who spoke nonsensical broken English; and finding illegal aliens on my doorstep demanding that I give them work. And, NO, I haven't had even ONE INCIDENT of even a petty crime against me or my property in the two years I've lived elsewhere. The Valley has problems they refuse to address.

If you love the Valley -- GREAT! LIVE THERE! But trying to shout down people who have NOT had good experiences there isn't right. I wish someone had warned ME when I was planning to move there -- I wouldn't have done it! But I had to learn the hard way and my son had to suffer, too. It's so dang far away from desirable places to live in Texas, it can take awhile for people to be able to move once they're there.

I feel for you teatime because I myself have been a victim of some of the experiences you went through, primarily vandalism, while I was living in the RGV and that's cause I am Hispanic. But then again, what city in America doesn't have robbers? I understand what you mean about broken English and I agree, but you must understand that many people down there are bilingual and it is more difficult to have proper etiquette when you speak two languages. People came over "asking" not "demanding" work, but maybe your experiences were different than mine. About your kid being beat up simply because he is white is a little far fetched, there had to be some sort of confrontation prior to him being beat up which is something we would all like to know.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:09 PM

bellestaroftexas, I'm sorry about the threats made on you...

Old 11-21-2008, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,071 times
Really NOTAM? with words like "aint" and "hayull"...please stop telling people your from Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas