U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2009, 03:03 AM
 
8 posts, read 31,895 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hello,
I live 60 miles NW of Chicago. I have been dealing with Multiple Sclerosis for nearly 18 years and the weather in this area is really starting to affect me negatively. Every time there is a drastic change in temperature (+/- 25/30 degrees over a few days,) it takes me a long time to adjust and start functioning well. At the beginning of Fall '08, the temperature dropped around 30 degrees in one day. Even though it warmed back up to nearly the same temp with a couple of days, it was enough to trigger problems with my ability to walk that is just starting to clear up now. I will probably face the same issues in the Spring as it warms up.

So that is kind of a long intro to my question: Is there any part of TX that averages between 40 for a low and 80ish for a high with few sudden changes? I can handle some humidity for a short period of time, but a heat index over 95 can cause me to lose some functioning. This also happens in bitter cold (single digits and negative wind chills.) I can handle both extremes for a few days, but not for several days/weeks without a break.

(In both extremes, I have found myself in a parking lot, zoo, crosswalk suddenly unable to walk without great difficulty.)

We need to move out of this weather, but do not plan to do so until my
2nd son graduates 8th grade in 2010.

I have 5 kids (15, 13, 10, 6, and 4) so there are many factors to investigate and that is why I am starting now. God has Blessed my husband with a flexible job so that our only limiting factor is being located within and hour of a major airport. But, the primary factor is the temperatures.

I thank you in advance for your input.


Mo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 AM
 
5,031 posts, read 8,057,828 times
Reputation: 2309
Temperatures in many parts of Texas change rapidly as well. It can be in the 20s one day and the 80s a few days later. To be honest, I don't think Texas is the place for you regarding the weather. It has very oppressive heat and even if you lived way out in west Texas where it's drier, it still gets very hot. I honestly don't think there is any place in this state where the high temperature is in the 80s. 90s and 100s is more like it. As far as lows in the 40s, yes...probably in south Texas but you won't be able to stand the heat. It's miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
339 posts, read 973,687 times
Reputation: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Temperatures in many parts of Texas change rapidly as well. It can be in the 20s one day and the 80s a few days later. To be honest, I don't think Texas is the place for you regarding the weather.
Unfortunately I'd have to agree. There are portions of the state that see fewer drastic temp swings than here in my area of N Texas, but I still would never put TX on my list of MS-friendly states. A dear friend of mine who is still in her 20s and has her MS somewhat under control is typically mobile on most days... but suffers greatly during our extremely long, hot summer days. It can really be oppressive even for people in ideal health but simply unaccustomed to such high temps.

Beyond just adjusting to the summer months, I've seen my thermometer drop more than 45 degrees, in both Spring and Fall months, in a matter of hours. And then spike right back up again. It's not uncommon to have to bundle up one day and pull out the shorts just two days later. Perhaps others will have suggestions on areas of our state that are more amiable, but if your hubby has the fortune of living just about anywhere for his job, I'd keep searching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Hutto, Tx
8,642 posts, read 16,468,700 times
Reputation: 2337
Yeah, I'd have to agree. Not much of the State has even temps year round. Even Central Texas, which I was going to recommend, but only because I live there. The temps right now have been pretty extreme. Cold enough for a coat in the morning and by noon, probably 70's/mid 70's. In the summer it will get much hotter. I thought and thought and came up with MAYBE somewhere in North Texas or North West Texas, but I'm not too familiar with those areas. I lived in Colorado for 6 yrs. not too long ago. It's got pretty even weather, but it can also have pretty drastic weather changes, but I think for shorter periods of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
9,048 posts, read 12,377,594 times
Reputation: 4397
As the other posters have said, Texas isn't really the place for you from what you describe. 75% of the state is humid or extremely humid, and all parts are very hot during the summer, far above the 80s.

West Texas and the Panhandle are the drier parts, but also get very hot in the summer, and weather can change rapidly in a single day from one extreme to the other at times.

I'm a native WT who left the state in search of cooler weather! The city I left (Midland) reached 110-112 last summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 10:38 AM
 
8 posts, read 31,895 times
Reputation: 15
Default Thank you! Thank You!

I sincerely appreciate all the input. I knew this was going to be a challange to find the consistent type of weather I need and this information motivates me to keep looking instead of trying to force-fit myself in a place that may make me miserable. I know Hawaii is probably the most consistent place temperature-wise, but it's also not a very economical place to raise 5 kids, especially with a teenager on a "See-Food" diet. (He sees food and then eats it, seemingly non-stop!)


I'm sure we'll be visiting your great state soon as my husband has been there several times on business and raves about how nice it is

Thanks again,
Mo


































\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Portland, TX. (next to Corpus Christi)
1,657 posts, read 2,242,477 times
Reputation: 3759
To be honest, DiamandGal7, you would be best to look outside of Texas to avoid the extreme temperatures. The only place in the USA I can think of that would qualify with what you want would be southern California (around LA or SanDiego). Northwestern California might be okay, but the harsh winter weather with regards to the storms that move through there might be too much for your condition.


Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 11:50 AM
 
Location: southwest michigan
1,061 posts, read 2,279,384 times
Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGal7 View Post
Hello,
I live 60 miles NW of Chicago. I have been dealing with Multiple Sclerosis for nearly 18 years and the weather in this area is really starting to affect me negatively. Every time there is a drastic change in temperature (+/- 25/30 degrees over a few days,) it takes me a long time to adjust and start functioning well. At the beginning of Fall '08, the temperature dropped around 30 degrees in one day. Even though it warmed back up to nearly the same temp with a couple of days, it was enough to trigger problems with my ability to walk that is just starting to clear up now. I will probably face the same issues in the Spring as it warms up.

So that is kind of a long intro to my question: Is there any part of TX that averages between 40 for a low and 80ish for a high with few sudden changes? I can handle some humidity for a short period of time, but a heat index over 95 can cause me to lose some functioning. This also happens in bitter cold (single digits and negative wind chills.) I can handle both extremes for a few days, but not for several days/weeks without a break.

(In both extremes, I have found myself in a parking lot, zoo, crosswalk suddenly unable to walk without great difficulty.)

We need to move out of this weather, but do not plan to do so until my
2nd son graduates 8th grade in 2010.

I have 5 kids (15, 13, 10, 6, and 4) so there are many factors to investigate and that is why I am starting now. God has Blessed my husband with a flexible job so that our only limiting factor is being located within and hour of a major airport. But, the primary factor is the temperatures.

I thank you in advance for your input.


Mo
First, yes, I agree with previous posters- Texas will probably not fit the bill if the absence of temperature fluctuations is a priority. Have you considered North Carolina? I lived there for 4 years and while it does get colder in the winter than Texas, there is A LOT more consistency. We moved there from Ohio and were amazed by how wonderful and basically predictable the weather was in comparison. Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 01:18 PM
 
Location: 77059
7,752 posts, read 18,523,866 times
Reputation: 3803
The only consistent weather is in the summer. Gulf Coast TX is usually in the mid-90s in the summer, with a couple days in the low-100s. Heat index usually never drops below 90 at night due to the high humidity. During the day the heat index is always in the low-mid 100's, but I have seen the odd day where it pushes 112-115. "Summer" usually lasts about 5 months.

The other months it can really change, but the Gulf Coast generally stays warmer in the winter than other parts of TX. Cold fronts lose a lot of their punch this far south. It rarely ever freezes in the winter here, and if it does it's 30 only for a few hours. If it get into the high 20's, it's on the news as a "hard freeze." Seems we have the least extreme weather in the state, but we also have the risk of hurricanes.

"Temperate" would be like sizzler said, in SoCal right near the coast. ($$$$$) Except for when the Santa Ana winds fire up, the weather there is amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 08:03 PM
 
5,031 posts, read 8,057,828 times
Reputation: 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
To be honest, DiamandGal7, you would be best to look outside of Texas to avoid the extreme temperatures. The only place in the USA I can think of that would qualify with what you want would be southern California (around LA or SanDiego). Northwestern California might be okay, but the harsh winter weather with regards to the storms that move through there might be too much for your condition.


Ian
I agree. That's the best weather in the country if you don't want drastic changes, really cold days, or unbearably hot and humid days that never end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top